Joining Pebble dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones10

Does anyone know how's best to join dashing? Builder has added on to the wall so now worried if we dash the extended blockwork you will see the line, not sure how to tackle this, any help much appreciated

In my experience you will never make a join that you cannot see . Butt a stop bead up against it and make a straight joint. If you try to disguise the join it will probably look like a pigs ear. Of course you could have a strategically placed drain pipe of there is a gutter running along the length

i would fit a stop bead to make a break from the original stone dash. there is no chance that the new stone will be the same colour

i would fit a stop bead to make a break from the original stone dash. there is no chance that the new stone will be the same colour

I mentioned sticking a stop bead up edge but he won't have it. Dunno why you'll never see it, general builders can be a right pain in ass

tell the builder if he does not want the work finished your way he will have to sign a disclaimer, as you do not want any come backs.

If He has added it with a straight joint and not toothed it. Id suggest a stop bead 5mm of the existing dash , and tell him its a movement detail as its gonna crack there any way.

It's like any textured detail very hard to patch in you will have to explain this to him like mark says make an expansion detail out of it an that's it dashing quite hard to patch in an get perfect

I've had the same problem a couple of times, the only way around it is to make the break look intentional. Either an expansion or a raised band, best of luck which ever way you go bones

Ps you were always my favourite star trek character :RpS_thumbsup:

You'll never hide a joint when matching new to old.
Assuming it's a straight joint I would cut a line 4" into the old dash and put a movement bead over the joint. Make a band on the old side and dash up to the bead. If it's Labour only I would still supply the bead myself if it's gonna be seen :RpS_thumbup:
Builder won't be there all the time :RpS_wink:

A joint will show as it is unlikely you will have the same sand, cement and if you did it may well be a different ratio. This will give a different shade. Even if it was the same ratio you have to allow for air pollution.

So a straight line wont do? So try the opposite. A dog tooth line. That is a line that is cut in at 45 degrees about a trowels length then opposite direction 90 degrees and so on and so forth. A bit like the teeth on a saw. That how I do joints on dashing when it is wet up to green and there is a chance of a piecing line as dictated in Taylor's plastering book 1971 edition.

I can just see the builders face now as he's explaining this to him " ok put a movement joint in then " will be his response no doubt when the quote goes up

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using The Plasterers Forum mobile app

Depending on where the guttering is you can sometimes get away with a dummy down pipe to hide the join.

Status
Not open for further replies.