Johnstones onto ICF problem

Members online

deuce1

Hi.

I'm having a new ICF build rendered at the moment and have had a major problem. The plasterer didn't rasp the boards and the base coat hasn't bonded. He has spoken with the Johnstones rep and has been told that, not rasping it is the problem. He is now suggesting to use render fixings to stabilise what has been done and then basically start from scratch.

Is this the correct advice or should it all come off and be restarted? I haven't had experience with rendering onto insulation and I'm concerned that fixings here and there are not going to do much. To be fair, the plasterer has held his hands up and accepted responsibility. He said he has rendered onto EWI before, but not ICF and they are different. I just want to find the correct solution to this and don't want pieces falling off in 6 months time.

Thanks.

you shouldnt have to rasp an icf.

when the manufacturer applies for a bba they wont test it on only rasped eps. that response you got was total bollox.

never had a problem with an icf install

done icf builds with Johnstone's
They 100% spec rasp and hiflex base coat not high-performance base coat

Hi.

I'm having a new ICF build rendered at the moment and have had a major problem. The plasterer didn't rasp the boards and the base coat hasn't bonded. He has spoken with the Johnstones rep and has been told that, not rasping it is the problem. He is now suggesting to use render fixings to stabilise what has been done and then basically start from scratch.

Is this the correct advice or should it all come off and be restarted? I haven't had experience with rendering onto insulation and I'm concerned that fixings here and there are not going to do much. To be fair, the plasterer has held his hands up and accepted responsibility. He said he has rendered onto EWI before, but not ICF and they are different. I just want to find the correct solution to this and don't want pieces falling off in 6 months time.

Thanks.

Hate to break it to you this is a straight forward job for an experienced renderer. I this a case of pay less pay twice?

Dansouthcoast84

Every ICF company, every material supplier and a few plasterers that I had quote all said that it needed rasping.

Tom81

I'm not sure exactly of what he's using, but there are bags lying around on site, so I'll check it out.

FreeD

Well he's been doing it for around 13 years and has used johnstones before. He knows he has to fix it and he is going to. However, would you hack it all off or do what he's suggesting, which is to use render fixings to secure it to the ICF before putting another mesh base coat on? I haven't a clue of what these fixings are and what they do.

Thanks.

We've rendered plenty of icfs and tend to rasp them as good practice.
If Johnstone's have got involved then your covered if there's any issues down the line with it. Don't know what kind of fixings are there as we can't see them, but if they specified them they will be fit for purpose.

agree. why would you even use fixings on an icf?
Someone must be suggesting using ewi pin's to hold the failed mesh and base coat there's no one I know from johnston's that would, they won't suggest or recommend any method that doesn't comply with bba's

Dansouthcoast84

Every ICF company, every material supplier and a few plasterers that I had quote all said that it needed rasping.

Tom81

I'm not sure exactly of what he's using, but there are bags lying around on site, so I'll check it out.

FreeD

Well he's been doing it for around 13 years and has used johnstones before. He knows he has to fix it and he is going to. However, would you hack it all off or do what he's suggesting, which is to use render fixings to secure it to the ICF before putting another mesh base coat on? I haven't a clue of what these fixings are and what they do.

Thanks.
Don't let him do it he's gonna f*** your house up

I think it is some type of fixing to hold what he's already done to the ICF. I'd personally like it removed and started again myself.
I'll contact Johnstones tomorrow and see if somebody can meet us both on site and see what they advise. Thanks all for your help and advice. I'm not a plasterer, but have an idea when somethings wrong and you have just confirmed it.

Someone must be suggesting using ewi pin's to hold the failed mesh and base coat there's no one I know from johnston's that would, they won't suggest or recommend any method that doesn't comply with bba's
I miss read it as the render manufacturer had suggested a mechanical fixing, it's the spreads suggestion isn't it, which is just pony.

So I've managed to get this sorted with the help of the Johnstones rep. I'm using another plasterer, but I've now got to get what he's put on back off.
Apart from just tapping it with a hammer and scraping it off, has anyone got any quicker suggestions?
Thanks.