Job advice

Members online

PlasterCraftDundee

I've just completed a job for a big building company, I had about a weeks work from them restoring some original cornice in an old hotel they are converting into flats. I've just received email asking me to price up 18 flats 2 to 3 bedrooms to fit gyproc coving in halls and bedrooms and premade cornice in lounge/kitchen diners.

On the job I done for them it was great everything was well organised, site agent just left me to it made sure his guys were out my way and more importantly they paid very quickly.

I've never taking on a job this size before and to be honest i'm not even sure how to go about pricing something off a bill of quantities. I'm mainly domestic and do work for small local builders, so i'm in two minds whether to take something on that's going to tie me up for what I would imagine be at least 4/5months, potentially losing my regular customers. But then on the other hand to have that much work booked in and to get in with builders who have enough work for years can only be a good thing?

What you guys think?

Go for it. Don't want to start a pissing contest but you'll be surprised how quick you can get once you've got system going. Might mean doing weekends to keep the domestic side of your business going but good builders are few and far between. I'd try to stay in with them.

Price it, if you get the work get someone in to give you a lift on them which will free you up to do bits a pieces for your regulars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put in a price that makes it worthwhile and make them your main client.

When times get tough bigger builders will have work when the domestic clients stop spending.

Cheers guys, I am leaning towards putting a price in and seeing what happens. hopefully can come to some arrangement with time scale, where I can allocate 3 or 4 days a week to them as I am a bit wary of putting all my eggs in one basket. Is anyone able to advise me on how to price off a bill of quantities?

Fancy a wee coving job in Kirkcaldy fitting 2000 metres?
I'd rather douse myself in petrol and drop a match while being attacked by a group of Rottweilers, that's after I've gouged my eyes out with a blunt knife.

If I have a room to cove I can't sleep at night for thinking about it and when my alarm goes off it fills me with dread knowing that's what I've got to do.

I'd rather douse myself in petrol and drop a match while being attacked by a group of Rottweilers, that's after I've gouged my eyes out with a blunt knife.

If I have a room to cove I can't sleep at night for thinking about it and when my alarm goes off it fills me with dread knowing that's what I've got to do.

Is that a no?

Its not that bad doing coving

i would check out the terms of payment first, then run a credit check on the firm. if after that you are still interested find out the required program, this will help you work out how much money you will have tied up in the contract.
there will be retention stopped which a builder thinks is his money so add that on top of your quote.
there may be main contractors discount about 2%, add this on top of your quote.
if you are stopped tax by the builder walk away.
your running costs and your profit for caring out all of the builders aggro for him.

as all ready stated employ a qs to price the first bill of quantities for you, approach the builders qs you may be able to do a deal with him that would suite you both.

Last edited:
Cheers guys, I am leaning towards putting a price in and seeing what happens. hopefully can come to some arrangement with time scale, where I can allocate 3 or 4 days a week to them as I am a bit wary of putting all my eggs in one basket. Is anyone able to advise me on how to price off a bill of quantities?
There are price books you can buy off the net to help. Spons & Hutchins are ones I've used. You buy just the section of the book you need i.e. Plastering/Screeding. They give a good idea of meterage rates plus extras plus scaled up prices for narrow widths (reveals and such). As has already been said, you could get a qs to price it for you.

you need to come on my gyproc coving course ,it is intensive, well till the pubs open. cost for the half day will be 2 monkeys.

Last edited:
£4 a Metre supply and fix the Gyproc cove, and a tenner a metre to fix only the cornice. There you go, priced for you for free. You should be able to do at least 80m of normal coving a day, and even if you only did 20m of cornice, that's not a bad days money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are price books you can buy off the net to help. Spons & Hutchins are ones I've used. You buy just the section of the book you need i.e. Plastering/Screeding. They give a good idea of meterage rates plus extras plus scaled up prices for narrow widths (reveals and such). As has already been said, you could get a qs to price it for you.
That spons book was published in 2007 though, do you add an extra percentage on for increased rates and material cost?

I decided to give it a miss. Was just a bit big for me felt a bit out of my depth to be honest. I've no experience doing jobs that size. I couldn't imagine doing 80m a day there was a lot of angles none of the rooms were square and most had bay windows. Thanks for all the advice tho much appreciated

Them books give you unrealistic rates I think

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I decided to give it a miss. Was just a bit big for me felt a bit out of my depth to be honest. I've no experience doing jobs that size. I couldn't imagine doing 80m a day there was a lot of angles none of the rooms were square and most had bay windows. Thanks for all the advice tho much appreciated
Best decision in my mind, the big builders are a mare mate, lulled you in with first job, then the QS you have made arrangements with doesn't deal with payments, after that he's left and is no longer with us, stay small less stress and earn enough for a comfortable lifestyle.

Best decision in my mind, the big builders are a mare mate, lulled you in with first job, then the QS you have made arrangements with doesn't deal with payments, after that he's left and is no longer with us, stay small less stress and earn enough for a comfortable lifestyle.
So true, sometimes small is big enough (ahem.....)

I'd have done the same. If you're happy enough plodding along with your domestics then why take the chance.

Agree with the last few comments. Done a few big uns and just end up being a pain in the arse with constant chasing and stopping tax and retention and discounts. Can't be f**k*d with it