It's gone wrong!

Members online

andyjp1

Hi Chaps/Chapesses,

I've recently finished plastering my first job in the house - (Downstairs W/C)
I scraped/sanded walls down, replaced the Artex Ceiling/Scrimmed Corners and and joins and bonded and low area's.

There are so many opinions on here/youtube & instagram as to what method to use in skimming so went for the SBR route on this particular job, giving the wall 2 coats of SBR straight from the Tub.
It was brushed onto existing painted matt walls.

The job went well (I thought) until this morning when I tapped the first wall I did, it BLOWN!
I got a scraper and the lot of it just peeled off like a banana.
I was so deflated -The walls look good!

I've been advised by a well known plasterer on Instagram to now apply Blue Grit onto the wall which has had SBR all over it rather than PVA.

I've lost so much confidence - aaaaahhh!

Should I of used PVA rather than SBR in the first place?
How many coats of PVA 2? What Ratio?
Leave it to dry completely or have it tacky?

So many questions, so many opinions - kind answers only please.

Yes.

However, Bostik Cementone plasterer's primer specifically states that you can apply it on top of SBR, so that may be your best bet to solve your problem. Toolstation sell it for about £30 a tub.

Generally-speaking, 2 coats of diluted PVA is common (follow the instructions on the back of the PVA tub about what ratio of water to dilute it with,). However, the number of coats necessary for your walls can depend on how absorbent each wall is. If you flick a bit of water onto the wall. and it disappears rapidly, that's a clue that you may need more PVA on it. Don't be tempted to use the PVA thicker (less diluted) - that will just form a skin on the wall, which you don't want.

Some spreads are happy to plaster onto dry PVA, but it's common to just wait until the PVA is tacky and then get on with the job at hand. Do bear in mind that tacky means tacky, not 'mostly-wet and just barely tacky in places'. If the PVA is too wet on the wall, your plaster is likely to slide around on the wall.

Hi Chaps/Chapesses,

I've recently finished plastering my first job in the house - (Downstairs W/C)
I scraped/sanded walls down, replaced the Artex Ceiling/Scrimmed Corners and and joins and bonded and low area's.

There are so many opinions on here/youtube & instagram as to what method to use in skimming so went for the SBR route on this particular job, giving the wall 2 coats of SBR straight from the Tub.
It was brushed onto existing painted matt walls.

The job went well (I thought) until this morning when I tapped the first wall I did, it BLOWN!
I got a scraper and the lot of it just peeled off like a banana.
I was so deflated -The walls look good!

I've been advised by a well known plasterer on Instagram to now apply Blue Grit onto the wall which has had SBR all over it rather than PVA.

I've lost so much confidence - aaaaahhh!

So many questions, so many opinions - kind answers only please.

2 neat sbr?

Too strong.

As a beginner, 1 pissy sbr, then pva would have done you. Plenty of suction control.