Its Condensation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.B

I renovated a property last year and yesterday the owners phoned me saying that the bathroom wall is damp because the rain is coming through the wall.
Anyway I think it is condensation but the property owners will not take my word for it.
The problem area is an exterior wall, upstairs, one brick thick which has been re-rendered with 3 coats of sand and cement with waterproofer and finished with 2 coats of wethershield paint on exterior. All roof slates and felt are in good order.
The property is a seccond home and is not lived in full time.
there is currently no mold growth but the wall is damp and the paper is peeling off.
Do you think my diagnosis is correct and what is the solution?

50mm celotex and plasterboard. That way a cold wall becomes a warm wall and any steam will not condense on it. I agree probably condensation.

Condensation is likely. Tell them that's your final answer and it's down to there lifestyle. If they argue point them towards the PCA and an independent surveyor.

I firm I work for did this last year. The quote of £250 for the survey put them off and we never heard from them again.

I personally (only because its the only way I know!) batten 25mm between latts and 25mm over the top screwing the plasterboard to the latts.

I am more than happy to be told this is bull!!!!

Sounds like they have condensation to me.

If I was you I would tell them to buy a dehumidifier that has a humidistat on it. Also top up the loft insulation to 300mm

The house is not lived in and the wall is an external wall then its going to be a magnet for condensation.

I loss count of the amount of people who phone me up for damp issues and its condensation, I should charge them really and make some money out of it.

I personally (only because its the only way I know!) batten 25mm between latts and 25mm over the top screwing the plasterboard to the latts.

That's ok, easier with 50mm battens in a stud as you can plumb it,wire through it etc.the metal stud is great and quite easy,better than timber as it won't warp,many many ways

that external wall will be canny cold,S&C is a shite insulator so its a cold spot wall, plenty of solutions already been posted. You could try thermapaint from kingfisher to paint the internal wall with. Its got microspheres if insulation in it and two coats of this can raise the wall temp by 1 degree, sometimes that is enough if a temp rise to reduce the condensation. Plenty of solutions but its all down to cost as usual

thats bull mate,,, :RpS_laugh: only joking

that external wall will be canny cold,S&C is a shite insulator so its a cold spot wall, plenty of solutions already been posted. You could try thermapaint from kingfisher to paint the internal wall with. Its got microspheres if insulation in it and two coats of this can raise the wall temp by 1 degree, sometimes that is enough if a temp rise to reduce the condensation. Plenty of solutions but its all down to cost as usual

Sorry for off topic but where did you get all of your damp knowledge from Arti?

A pair of eyes and a nose is probably what he has and that's all you need.

Hello Mr Flynnyman

I agree with you, on a particular day when you can see the problem/defect.
We can all make an educated decision and think its condensation, but this isn't really good enough.
I'm sure Mr Deri has done a great job on the renovation of this property and would hopefully get some more work from the client, or as a direct referral to one of their neighbours/friends. The client is king and deserve factual findings, this will also protect Mr Deri.
Imagine for instance this is a penetrating damp problem and timbers are getting wet, which is a direct result of a defect in his workmanship, imagine the cost of fixing this if it was a dry rot. If it was me i'd be getting to the bottom of this to protect myself.
On a day like today, when there was no rain, it was warm, so probably no condensation cold spots, how can you carry out a survey to eliminate either?

Hello Mr Flynnyman

I agree with you, on a particular day when you can see the problem/defect.
We can all make an educated decision and think its condensation, but this isn't really good enough.
I'm sure Mr Deri has done a great job on the renovation of this property and would hopefully get some more work from the client, or as a direct referral to one of their neighbours/friends. The client is king and deserve factual findings, this will also protect Mr Deri.
Imagine for instance this is a penetrating damp problem and timbers are getting wet, which is a direct result of a defect in his workmanship, imagine the cost of fixing this if it was a dry rot. If it was me i'd be getting to the bottom of this to protect myself.
On a day like today, when there was no rain, it was warm, so probably no condensation cold spots, how can you carry out a survey to eliminate either?
If it's a penetrating problem I will diagnose it with my eyes also how would you?

I'm pretty sure it's not penetrating damp as the room below is dry, surely if it was penetrating it would be damp too as the moisture would track down quite easily in a wall that thin?

If it's a penetrating problem I will diagnose it with my eyes also how would you?

I have looked at may jobs that are suffering from penetrating damp, but what if the wind isn't driving the rain at the defect on that particular day?
I have a job at the moment where I don't know exactly where the leak is coming in, I know where it is on the ceiling internally.
It only shows with a particular wind. I'm not afraid to tell the client I don't know where the exact defect is, it's not reasonable to replace the roof as its massive.

Condensation and mould | Welcome to Complete Preservations blog

I have looked at may jobs that are suffering from penetrating damp, but what if the wind isn't driving the rain at the defect on that particular day?
I have a job at the moment where I don't know exactly where the leak is coming in, I know where it is on the ceiling internally.
It only shows with a particular wind. I'm not afraid to tell the client I don't know where the exact defect is, it's not reasonable to replace the roof as its massive.

Condensation and mould | Welcome to Complete Preservations blog
Get some pics and maybe one of the experts may be able to help you.

Hello Flynnyman

Here is the picture for you

View attachment 4152

It seems to me if what I'm looking at is a window, they obviously have the window slightly open, the condensation appears to be on what looks like a roman blind, the cold air (Which admittedly falls) but does create cold spots. is directly above the window, (Steam rises and condences).
You appear to have a cold wall, which directly lets cold air onto the ceiling.

Celotex will create a warm wall, but if the window remains open there will always be a cold spot. It may (And I'll back down for more expert opinions) be an idea to put in an extractor fan. As its single skin its easier than cavity.

It looks like condensation to me. Excess steam in the bathroom!

Get a nuaire electric vent, fit it upstairs, leave it switched on all time with doors open. Cost like £260+qualified sparks to fit it.

Hello Flynnyman

Here is the picture for you

View attachment 4152
It's the roof, looking at the shape of the wall there will be quite a few ridge tiles on that small corner and it will be dripping in there then running down the ceiling to the wall. Where the ridges meet on the roof it's sometimes filled with mortar or lead is used and these not done proper don't last.

It's the roof, looking at the shape of the wall there will be quite a few ridge tiles on that small corner and it will be dripping in there then running down the ceiling to the wall. Where the ridges meet on the roof it's sometimes filled with mortar or lead is used and these not done proper don't last.

Hello Flynnyman

Good observation, at least you spotted it's a leak.
As the roof is massive it's hard to pin point the exact area. There are also many places that could be allowing this penetrating damp on the specific wind. I will find the cause

Job for flynny as your damp expert?

Hello

It's good to see when people stand back and look at the picture, rather than jumping straight in and thinking they know the problem. I see this all the time, damp diagnosis is bloody terrible to say the least.

Hello Flynnyman

Good observation, at least you spotted it's a leak.
As the roof is massive it's hard to pin point the exact area. There are also many places that could be allowing this penetrating damp on the specific wind. I will find the cause
Any pics of the outside? I know you have a lab but I bet you don't have a remote control helicopter with a camera on it like I do ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.