Issue with painted render

RuthCB

Hey all, I'm new here but have an issue with a clients garden where the existing painted render was painted over and now both layers are just peeling off like crazy. It was painted against advice at the wrong time of year, but even so the peeling is super dramatic! This hasn't happened before and other bits of painted render in the garden (one much newer, one much older are fine)- it's just this area. The tops of these walls are also rendered and did have some damage but I'm wondering why the original paint was staying on and the new has had this effect? Other than recommending coping, removing as much as possible to dry and repaint- I'm not sure what else to do- if the wall is being soaked from behind (from raised beds) then will it just happen again? Or is there some kind of sealant we can put a layer of on first before repainting? Help!

Attachments

• IMG_6836-preview.JPG
    IMG_6836-preview.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_6838-preview.JPG
    IMG_6838-preview.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 182
  • IMG_6839-preview.JPG
    IMG_6839-preview.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 174
Hey all, I'm new here but have an issue with a clients garden where the existing painted render was painted over and now both layers are just peeling off like crazy. It was painted against advice at the wrong time of year, but even so the peeling is super dramatic! This hasn't happened before and other bits of painted render in the garden (one much newer, one much older are fine)- it's just this area. The tops of these walls are also rendered and did have some damage but I'm wondering why the original paint was staying on and the new has had this effect? Other than recommending coping, removing as much as possible to dry and repaint- I'm not sure what else to do- if the wall is being soaked from behind (from raised beds) then will it just happen again? Or is there some kind of sealant we can put a layer of on first before repainting? Help!

No idea . Decorator might be more help. Maybe fatha will know @essexandy . When they said wrong time of year , what was weather conditions

No hope. I did one like that once. I used stick on felt. And trowel applied addesive from wickes. Then painted it . Looks good. Oh and cut slabs for top .slope to rear.

Wow! There’s so many of these jobs about just waiting to go knackered. Look lovely brand new but if not done properly they’re ruined after one winter.

No idea . Decorator might be more help. Maybe fatha will know @essexandy . When they said wrong time of year , what was weather conditions
They painted it in autumn- they were desperate to have it finished but I don’t think realised how much of an issue not waiting would create- that said the other side on 2 other rendered sections are absolutely fine. Question is has anyone got any thoughts on how to sort it out?

RuthCB...you need tanking, drainage, copings on top. Coping need to be wide enough to have sufficient drip away from wall. These walls are never built right...unfortunately there i nothing you can do and no product that will work now and not peal..

The only option at this stage is to clad the wall with render board.

I'd get the original contractors back to sort it.

RuthCB...you need tanking, drainage, copings on top. Coping need to be wide enough to have sufficient drip away from wall. These walls are never built right...unfortunately there i nothing you can do and no product that will work now and not peal..

The only option at this stage is to clad the wall with render board.

I'd get the original contractors back to sort it.
Thankyou- I think Possibly the original paint was probably at the end of its life and actually the new stuff just finished it off- total nightmare for them. They can’t get the contractor back for the wall as it’s been there for years and years- all I can think is to partly back fill the raised Beds behind With gravel to help drainage but some walls don’t have anything behind and it’s still happened- we’ve found some coping that should help -I’ll look into render board though - how easy is that to fit?

FeeD is right but..the render itself has'nt failed so maybe - on the dark side getting no sun/staying cold & damp? Did the firtt peel or just after the second. Second was clearly the wrong sort of paint and has shrunk or reacted and pulled the old off - ask on the painter and decorators forums.

FeeD is right but..the render itself has'nt failed so maybe - on the dark side getting no sun/staying cold & damp? Did the firtt peel or just after the second. Second was clearly the wrong sort of paint and has shrunk or reacted and pulled the old off - ask on the painter and decorators forums.
Thankyou for advice. The first Coat was old but not like this- loose bits were sanded etc Although I suspect they didn’t do this thoroughly enough. It was painted with masonry paint So should have been ok, but yes the render Itself is ok- I will check out the decorators forums- Thankyou!

No primer/stabiliser applied either I bet, Johnstone’s and sandtex both state a primer first before there paints but like Rossi said gut feeling is this maybe one of those jobs that’s always gonna have problems

Thankyou- I think Possibly the original paint was probably at the end of its life and actually the new stuff just finished it off- total nightmare for them. They can’t get the contractor back for the wall as it’s been there for years and years- all I can think is to partly back fill the raised Beds behind With gravel to help drainage but some walls don’t have anything behind and it’s still happened- we’ve found some coping that should help -I’ll look into render board though - how easy is that to fit?

Would wold have to batten the existing wall, then screw render roads to the battens and find a coping or slab wide enough the cover the wall plus cavity and render board...then base coat render board and silicone render...