Is this normal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkillie

Hi guys i priced a skimming job onto new gyproc recently just out side Glasgow, it was barn conversions and a very tidy job, any hows put my price in (nice and tight) thought job was mine until guy calls back and tells me a price of £3.50 perm2 was in, this price was supplying,paying own tax,stamp, and the like, and i thought b*ll***s to that price but a couple of posts made me wonder is that the going rate nowadays, if it is then were doomed. :-[

depends how straight forward it is you can still make money at the rate but i wouldnt go any less than that really

like napper says supply and skim at that price is tight you could make money tho bag of gear does a little over 10Msq. The lads in St helens on the hospital are gettin 2.00 per sq labour only still payin own tax etc. the rates are sh1t pal most firms are only goin in at cost at the mo just to exist. best thing to do is speak to the client and try and price match

really cant believe some of the prices on here,right now im getting £22.50m2 for straighten/finish and £9.00 skim coat and thats me dropped them by 10%

That is cheap where was the job? We just finished a big 4 flight hall in killmacomb, Charged around 12 quid a metre it was over artex though.

One thing is for certain,you can be as sure as the sun will shine sometime that these prices wont be like this for much longer than a year or 2.
The colleges cant get placements for the kids coming through on plastering courses,and more spreads are leaving the trade then entering and most will never return.
The cscs scheme thats compulsary in jan is gonna create more job losses (1000's) .in 12 -18 months time things will be improving in a big way for site workeres,which equates to less people on domestic work and everyones a winner !!!!
Just gotta hold on till thens guys.It's tuff out there dog eat dog butit wont last foreever,if you offer a good service youl survive

skimmin2day said:
One thing is for certain,you can be as sure as the sun will shine sometime that these prices wont be like this for much longer than a year or 2.
The colleges cant get placements for the kids coming through on plastering courses,and more spreads are leaving the trade then entering and most will never return.
The cscs scheme thats compulsary in jan is gonna create more job losses (1000's) .in 12 -18 months time things will be improving in a big way for site workeres,which equates to less people on domestic work and everyones a winner !!!!
Just gotta hold on till thens guys.It's tuff out there dog eat dog butit wont last foreever,if you offer a good service youl survive

Roll on jan :)
Ive got my CSCS test on sat £41 to renew my card but hey its gonna be worth it i think, ive not revised but pissed it 5 years ago after 6 pints so fingers crossed.

Grantyboy the job was in Johnstone an Airdrie plasterer priced it over the phone so wotchance do you have, i just finished a big 1 in Kilmacolm where are you, works still coming in at a good rate how,s you,
Big thanks to al other spreads in a year or 2 things will turn around although the 2 week wonder course boys are still pricing and vandalising jobs

flynnyman said:
skimmin2day said:

Ive got my CSCS test on sat £41 to renew my card but hey its gonna be worth it i think, ive not revised but (french word)ed it 5 years ago after 6 pints so fingers crossed.
flynny you dont know.......honestly how much i want you to fail :)

spunky said:
flynnyman said:
skimmin2day said:

Ive got my CSCS test on sat £41 to renew my card but hey its gonna be worth it i think, ive not revised but (french word)ed it 5 years ago after 6 pints so fingers crossed.
flynny you dont know.......honestly how much i want you to fail :)

£10 for the book f**k that and spunky once ive got my GOLD card back i will be back to full strength :)

pkillie said:
Grantyboy the job was in Johnstone an Airdrie plasterer priced it over the phone so wotchance do you have, i just finished a big 1 in Kilmacolm where are you, works still coming in at a good rate how,s you,
Big thanks to al other spreads in a year or 2 things will turn around although the 2 week wonder course boys are still pricing and vandalising jobs
the jobs on glencairn rd just off Houston rd, aye were not bad got a few castin jobs, can't get near them though with this weather.

this a fine example of a freemarket industry people charge whatever rate pops into their head and by hook luck or crook they work most of their lives gettin top money because people who dont know any better will just trust them and pay up. workin sites that are scrutinised by a QS means you must stick to industry standards so the difference in prices in our industry is wide and leads to much confusion among plasterers and customers alike., ie, 10 plumbers price for fitting a gas fire 9 out of ten will be more or less the same price. plasterer skimming A box room could be anywhere from say £80 - £300 judging by some of you boys rates. think our industry needs a proper union with set FAIR guide rates for every job. thing is there is always a scab waiting to undercut someone

Status
Not open for further replies.