Is this key good enough on S&C

Members online

I'dstrip skim off if easy and get small masonry nails and see if soft enough to devil float it up to try and get a bit of key knit then PVA water mix on it skim when tacky ?
Thank you mate of not soft enough to devil float would blue grit help?

View attachment 16511 Hi recently had a room back to brick and S&C now a month later there are lots of cracks and hollow patches - when hacked off there are no cracks in S&C only skim is the key good enough? Any other reasons this could have happened???
Looking at this picture the answer to your question is no. Yes there are other reasons why it can happen bit again from your picture lack of adaquate key appears to be the problem. NEXT

They have used the soft comb , probably Refina, for the key , which in this case is useless . Not the comb , the way it's done. If not blue grit , try sbr/sand/cement -1/1/1 . Wet the wall before applying the sbr and don't wait to dry completely. It will provide everything you need for the skim .

They have used the soft comb , probably Refina, for the key , which in this case is useless . Not the comb , the way it's done. If not blue grit , try sbr/sand/cement -1/1/1 . Wet the wall before applying the sbr and don't wait to dry completely. It will provide everything you need for the skim .
I got a tenner on it that it's not s&c as said previously

That certainly looks thicker than 3 to 4 mm, not that it should be that thick anyway.
Done by bodgers whatever the cause, which imo is more than one singular reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on own up - is it your own doing?? And want to know how to fix it?
No mate done through a firm found them on ratedpeople - does it look that amateurish? Can I ask why it looks so bad I know it might be a silly question but I don't know and would like to at least know what I'm talking about when they come back

Come on own up - is it your own doing?? And want to know how to fix it?
No mate done through a firm found them on ratedpeople - does it look that amateurish? Can I ask why it looks so bad I know it might be a silly question but I don't know and would like to at least know what I'm talking about when they come back

Im just winding you up buddy but like it's already been said looks like there's hardwall or bonding before skim from the picture and then you just seemed to be pushing blue grit and just wondered why?

Im just winding you up buddy but like it's already been said looks like there's hardwall or bonding before skim from the picture and then you just seemed to be pushing blue grit and just wondered why?
Ah ok mate - it's just they said hack off skim and blue grit I just want to be sure that's right

I was actually up there chatting to them when they were applying the skim in that room (they like to talk) and definitely no bonding it was just 2 coats of multi finish

I'm not sure whether to tell them I'll just get someone else to do it but I know people don't like finishing other people's work!!!

I've enlarged the photo you posted here for clarity - the top section is the ceiling (darker shade of white) and the lower section is the wall - did you paint it in a trendy 'bumpy' paint or is that the finish the artisan spreads left?
Also, can you remove a piece of skim from the S&C and post a photo of the back of it....and make it quick as I have a baked spud in the oven and I'm hank!
IMG_4277.PNG

I've enlarged the photo you posted here for clarity - the top section is the ceiling (darker shade of white) and the lower section is the wall - did you paint it in a trendy 'bumpy' paint or is that the finish the artisan spreads left?
Also, can you remove a piece of skim from the S&C and post a photo of the back of it....and make it quick as I have a baked spud in the oven and I'm hank!View attachment 16527
Don't forget the beans or cheese!

Are they just repairing that section or taking everything off?
Taking all the skim off definitely on that wall and I will speak to them about the other S&C walls as they have a few cracks as well so if the skim comes off easy then I would like them redone

All the walls that were baten and boarded are perfect
Also, can you remove a piece of skim from the S&C and post a photo of the back of it....and make it quick as I have a baked spud in the oven and I'm hank!View attachment 16527
hi mate that's the pixilation of th camera the walls are smooth and that's just a mist coat on the walls - the ceiling is not in my original pic that's the crop line where you have zoomed in

I have attached 2 pics of the skim hacked off the wall hope they help and thanks for your time

Attachments

• IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    901.5 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_1080.JPG
    IMG_1080.JPG
    876.2 KB · Views: 339
Okay, this helps with the diagnosis. So in the first photo it does look like it was just finished in skim (with no Bonding/Hardwall before the skim). The back of the skim does have a slight indent where the skim has been pressed into the S&C key (but, the key was still not good enough). If the floating coat is not consolidated with a devil float correctly the skim will not 'bond' together and any decent experienced spread would now this. The S&C coat doesn't look to have been straightened/ruled off to a decent floating coat finish. The sand & cement looks to be a 'builders sand' or similar sand....crap IMO for plastering.
When you scratch your finger nail over the skim finish does it seem powdery? Or is it tough/strong?

i dont know anything here but il give it a bash......a waterproof scratch on the middle floor of your house floated with hardwall next day then skimmed the same day.

they dont know how to use hardwall .never mind sand and cement (which is basic plastering)
they couldnt straighten it right or get it flat thats why theres a huge donkey coat of skim.

its a fuuck up.
show them this message.

View attachment 16511 Hi recently had a room back to brick and S&C now a month later there are lots of cracks and hollow patches - when hacked off there are no cracks in S&C only skim is the key good enough? Any other reasons this could have happened???

looks to me they have scratched that with a tiling trowel and held at the wrong angle. What ive always done and im sure yous have too is to gt your float, small thin nails, knock them through a small amount and scratch the wall like this after the sand and cement has took up abit.

i can see s&c when i zoom in spots of it.
mesh was because its an old property and timber beams where used before we used concrete/steel lintels...and the brick work is old and shiit.

the top of walls i bet where timber part of the roof

sand and cement is the strongest but no need for water proof.

you needed a brick layer to tie your bricks back to both skins.

a skim of s&c with waterproof set with hardwall and a donkey coat of skim isnt gonna work.

im not the best spread in the world but im not a chancer either.

to fix it your gonna struggle stripping it all back.....on old brick without more damage

take off the skim gypbond 24 hours then skim

i cant think of anything else.

IMG_4279.PNG
Top tool is a devil float, middle tool is a scarifier (they used this), bottom tool is a scratcher - show them, they might not fook up some other poor souls house.

View attachment 16530 Top tool is a devil float, middle tool is a scarifier (they used this), bottom tool is a scratcher - show them, they might not fook up some other poor souls house.

thats just sad .....putting your tools on the floor all nice and tidy
at least vincey does a selfie.

mines are stuffed in the garage where i cant see them.