Is this correct? Lime basecoats done in 1 day...

James26695

Today i've had my gable wall lime rendered, the basecoats including mesh have been done in just 1 day.
When asked how thick this is i was told about 8mm. The area is around 40 - 45 sq metres - no windows, i think 2 guys working on it.
Does it sound right that this can be done ready for the finishing coat (parexal through coloured) in such a short time? Its going to rain for a good few hours in the early morning which worries me because theres no protection covering the work. (Was told it wont be a problem...but from my research online i seem to find nothing but warnings about letting it get wet ect. So really i'm looking for some assurances that everything is all good :) haha.
Another thing i'm a bit miffed about is the cost for 2 days work....2250 (without scaffold and render already removed) i was told by the salesman it would be a week (with 3 days for the base coats to dry in between) IS ALL THIS OK?? Thanks in advance.

Today i've had my gable wall lime rendered, the basecoats including mesh have been done in just 1 day.
When asked how thick this is i was told about 8mm. The area is around 40 - 45 sq metres - no windows, i think 2 guys working on it.
Does it sound right that this can be done ready for the finishing coat (parexal through coloured) in such a short time? Its going to rain for a good few hours in the early morning which worries me because theres no protection covering the work. (Was told it wont be a problem...but from my research online i seem to find nothing but warnings about letting it get wet ect. So really i'm looking for some assurances that everything is all good :) haha.
Another thing i'm a bit miffed about is the cost for 2 days work....2250 (without scaffold and render already removed) i was told by the salesman it would be a week (with 3 days for the base coats to dry in between) IS ALL THIS OK?? Thanks in advance.

You had the opportunity to discuss price prior to commence of works and/or get additional quotes if not happy!

We dont ask you/our customers how much they earn.

Thread closed!

Good bye!

You had the opportunity to discuss price prior to commence of works and/or get additional quotes if not happy!

We dont ask you/our customers how much they earn.

Thread closed!

Good bye!

Succinct post of the evening goes to Zombie for the second time in a week.

Thread closed. Again.

suggest u take up plastering then u might see whats involved

Salesman?

I take it you've used a big company with bigger overheads hence the hefty price tag........how else is the MD going to afford his new Ferrari every year if he hasn't got mugs like you to fund it?

Seems this isn't going as the OP hoped....

time for popcorn! :lol:

popcorn.gif

Your just seeing if you can knock em more like.

To be fair he agreed a price having been told it would take at least a week. It’s no wonder he has concerns. I don’t do render so can’t assure him if they’re following correct procedure

Its not a big company no, when i called the guy said he would come to quote, ended up being busy so said his ' colleague' would come to survey. I realised he's getting his cut as he surveys for this company and others. I only came for a bit of advice, realise i shouldnt of mentioned about the cost...i agreed to it and thats that.

Chef. Have you paid yet? If not, then put your feet up and wait to see if the job's good. Particularly if it's a big company, you've agreed a price which may or may not be steep but you agreed it.

If the job's good and others agree then pay up and if you don't like expensive jobs, avoid salesmen in future.

To be fair he agreed a price having been told it would take at least a week. It’s no wonder he has concerns. I don’t do render so can’t assure him if they’re following correct procedure
an old millionaire customer and friend once said to me the building trade boys were to cheap most people have a set price in their head what to spend and if u can come in around it leave a good all are happy regardless of time involved/ do u ever quiry vets or dentist about there charges I bet not just pay up

I have every intention of paying what i agreed as long as i know the jobs been done correct. Thus why i'm asking here if it sounds like the proper procedure.

I have every intention of paying what i agreed as long as i know the jobs been done correct. Thus why i'm asking here if it sounds like the proper procedure.
the basecoat would of been applied 1 coat with mesh in a day..
im not sure why they said 3 days base.
could it be 3 days total.

1 day bead and mesh.
2nd lay parexal on
3rd day scrape back...

only way i can think its a week is if they split gable in 2.

and as for the price. 45m for base and scratch render. supply fit isnt expensive

the basecoat would of been applied 1 coat with mesh in a day..
im not sure why they said 3 days base.
could it be 3 days total.

1 day bead and mesh.
2nd lay parexal on
3rd day scrape back...

only way i can think its a week is if they split gable in 2.

and as for the price. 45m for base and scratch render. supply fit isnt expensive
Thanks, I asked the guy who came to survey/quote how long the job would take.. he just said around a week with 3 days in between basecoat and parexal finish. But when i asked the guy whos doing the job what he had done/the next steps he said that all basecoats are on and they will come back thursday (because its gonna rain tomorrow morning) to put the finish coat on and it'll be job done. Everything i read on tinternet says lime needs to be left to dry for longer then 2 days between coats...What do you mean about the 'scrape back'? How long should one wait in between the base coat/parexal/scrape back?

Thanks, I asked the guy who came to survey/quote how long the job would take.. he just said around a week with 3 days in between basecoat and parexal finish. But when i asked the guy whos doing the job what he had done/the next steps he said that all basecoats are on and they will come back thursday (because its gonna rain tomorrow morning) to put the finish coat on and it'll be job done. Everything i read on tinternet says lime needs to be left to dry for longer then 2 days between coats...What do you mean about the 'scrape back'? How long should one wait in between the base coat/parexal/scrape back?
That lime has nothing to do with this lime