Is this Acceptable?

Members online

beauman

Hi all! New to the group. Basically reaching out for a bit of advice. Had a plastering job done last week in a large room.

Painted first coat yesterday and noticed few blemishes under natural lighting. Come to paint ceiling in white tonight using lamps (lots of them) and noticed the walls and ceilings look like the pictures attached when light thrown down them.

I understand that walls and ceilings are not going to be absolutely perfect and don't want to start the blame game but when I have raised it with the plasterer tonight, he's basically said that I shouldn't put halogen lighting down the walls because they will all look like the attached pictures!?!

I told him, the walls upstairs that his firm plastered look nothing like that and are near perfect (has changed labourer/plasterer in between I think)

All this plaster was done on top of fresh new plasterboard dot and dab which they put up also.

Just wondering if I am within my rights to be a little p****d off with the end result or I am being too picky? In all honesty I feel absolutely gutted but if I am in the wrong then fair enough. (looks just as bad if not worse in person)

Let me know your thoughts guys!

Attachments

• Plaster 1.JPG
    Plaster 1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,210
  • plaster 2.JPG
    plaster 2.JPG
    682.7 KB · Views: 2,852
  • plaster 3.JPG
    plaster 3.JPG
    630.8 KB · Views: 2,263
  • plaster 4.JPG
    plaster 4.JPG
    555.2 KB · Views: 1,647
  • plaster 5.JPG
    plaster 5.JPG
    534.7 KB · Views: 1,302
  • plaster 6.JPG
    plaster 6.JPG
    535.9 KB · Views: 1,861
  • plaster 7.JPG
    plaster 7.JPG
    648.2 KB · Views: 1,521
Halogen lights do make plaster looks bad but not as bad as that. Can you feel them ridges when you run your hand across it?

Yes you can feel the ridges and I do understand lighting can make things look worse but the only time you can't see the marks is when you shine light direct on to wall

As above - light sideways down any plastered wall will always look like the surface of the moon but not to the extent above - some proper trowel marks in that!

To be honest me personally I’d come back and at least have a look
Light will make a good wall look shitty but sometimes a quick snag up is problem solved,
Nowadays I don’t know what to think from any pictures tbf

A bent supaflex.

Fcuk off. It looks like he's used a grouting trowel.

I was going to say that I once used a s*p*r*lex in a room where the light changed over the day and my work looked like that in a different light.

But then I opened the pictures and my work did fcukign NOT look like that at all.... it's awful.

OP, get him back... or better yet, get your money back and get someone else.

Sounds a shitty reply and it does look wank but what does it look like in natural light?

Can you feel the bumps when you touch it.

The pics make the work look wank but by shining halogen lights directly across the surface is also a bit false.

Saying that of it was my work I'd be back having a look first hand

Hmm saying that I've just opened the pictures properly and I take it back it just looks poor work to me.

Stinks of a plastic trowel that

Fcuk off. It looks like he's used a grouting trowel.

I was going to say that I once used a s*p*r*lex in a room where the light changed over the day and my work looked like that in a different light.

But then I opened the pictures and my work did fcukign NOT look like that at all.... it's awful.

OP, get him back... or better yet, get your money back and get someone else.
Thats a bent flex trowel ...it's the inside of the trowel that's bent.
I can see where the nose digs in.

Sorry guys, I'm trying to reply to you all but because Im new it keeps saying "awaiting moderator approval"

Thats a bent flex trowel ...it's the inside of the trowel that's bent.
I can see where the nose digs in.

Do you use a flexi trowel pal?

I got given one the other day and just dont know what i think.

Cant decide if there great or terrible!

Do you use a flexi trowel pal?

I got given one the other day and just dont know what i think.

Cant decide if there great or terrible!

First time I used them I hated them was used to marshel towns.....kept miss treating them.
I good spread in Cumbria spent a few days with us on a block of flats.
The lad was getting flawless skimming.
We picked it up from there really.
Gauges started with Mt.
But Christ zombie they loose there shape to easy.

Surely to morley you'd notice that yourself when you were working it?

I've had it happened to me.
Dropped a flex while skimming had no back up trowel.
While finishing plot
Spent next 2 days filling and sanding the gauge .....binned the trowel straight away.
Always keep a back up now....and a brand new 1 in the van.
I knew it was a mess I was fuucking fuming.

I've had it happened to me.
Dropped a flex while skimming had no back up trowel.
While finishing plot
Spent next 2 days filling and sanding the gauge .....binned the trowel straight away.
Always keep a back up now....and a brand new 1 in the van.
I knew it was a mess I was fuucking fuming.

Sounds like you'd have been better throwing in the towel and getting a new one on the way to the pub.

It did occur to me after you'd said you were serious about bent trowels that he might not have had another and tried to wing it.

If that's the case, then he's a proper rotter because it's hands up time if the customer clocks it.

First time I used them I hated them was used to marshel towns.....kept miss treating them.
I good spread in Cumbria spent a few days with us on a block of flats.
The lad was getting flawless skimming.
We picked it up from there really.
Gauges started with Mt.
But Christ zombie they loose there shape to easy.

How do you use yours pal?

How do you use yours pal?

I just keep it flatter, trowel it slower with a little water and no pressure after flattened with Mt or spat .....which I'm gonna pick back up now it's getting colder.
I won't use any water when cross troweling.
Just keep the blade wet.
After its coated it's up it with Mt.
Then lightly with a bit of water up and down it.
Then 2 dry cross trowels.
Timings are the key as every gauge is different.
But stick to the same system (y)(y)(y)

Ceilings are different......well easier.
Flatten it then walk it the same way.
Walk across opposite twice.
Them once back the way you coated (with the joints).