Is this acceptable, or poor work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forget the fuel lads, it's not important.

regardless of price, the coving is poor, the skimming just looks like a standard Re-skim.

looks to me, and I have seen this many times, that you've offered the job as plaster and cove and your plasterer has decided to give the latter a go to make more money with what looks like little or no experience of coving.

he hasn't cleaned his edges out properly at all and the corners look a mess, I'd at the very least want £200-£250 knocking off the bill, which might just cover the cost to have it re-done.

Wezly my bad but that's based on my montly fuel cost split between 5 working days a week.

Regardless its cheap price. Cheap work.

Are u happy taking 70quid a day home for running your own business? Seriouslt undervaluing yourself there

Mats =5 bags + coving etc =£70, gallon of diesel £5.
1 man would easily skim in 2 or 2 1/4 days, cove =4 hrs, so 3 easy days

£525 ~ 3days = £175 a day, not great or not bad.
look at it another way, a nice £500+ just after Xmas for someone

Its a good price if you can do it in that time. They had to pay 4 days labour.
And don't forget tax.
And all other business running costs.

Its a good price if you can do it in that time. They had to pay 4 days labour.
And don't forget tax.
And all other business running costs.

Obviuously a slow plasterer and labourer, lab £80 days 2 = £160, Plast £180 day x2=£360, mats £75.

tax @12% in lieu of expenses such as van depreciation, diesel, insurance tools etc.will be deducted from gross profit
While we may be taxed @20% this is lessened by expenses incurred.

So all in all, not too bad

That is truly appalling, an amateur could have done better, maybe he was ?
I have, and I'am sure lots of us on here have had to put peoples crap like this right.
I come across this quite often, thing is lots of clients don't know a good job from a bad job.
I wouldn't even bother asking him to do it correctly, fact is he has no clue.

Well 2 at 2 days is 4 days.
Materials say 100??
So 500 for labour between 4days is 125, .

Less travel costs ie van costs(petrol insurance etc) mine works out around £30 a day to run.
Public liability insurance ?
Other business running costs (rated people. Etc)
Your not taking much home are you?
So 125 less the 30 for van petrol etc.
95 less other costs.

Then your taxed.

So what. 65 quid day?
And all this for being self employed?? Haha
Wouldn't get out of bed for it. Get more on the dole

im coming to sign on down your way magic mike.....................:rolleyes)

Well 2 at 2 days is 4 days.
Materials say 100??
So 500 for labour between 4days is 125, .

Less travel costs ie van costs(petrol insurance etc) mine works out around £30 a day to run.
Public liability insurance ?
Other business running costs (rated people. Etc)
Your not taking much home are you?
So 125 less the 30 for van petrol etc.
95 less other costs.

Then your taxed.

So what. 65 quid day?
And all this for being self employed?? Haha
Wouldn't get out of bed for it. Get more on the dole
Do that on me own in 2days easy !

Well, for those interested... RatedPeople's terms for tradesmen state that reviews can't be removed just because you don't like them; and my review is still up there. Indeed, I was even able to edit it (having noticed as I tried to fit skirtings, that the bloke's plastering was quite a lot thicker near some internal corners, I reduced his rating further!) and reducing my rating has caused them to say "we investigate all tradesmen with negative ratings". That'll be interesting, if his previous rash of positive ratings isn't 100% genuine as some of you suggested might happen on RP...!

In respect of our job, I ultimately re-did the coving myself with an Orac Axxent profile, fantastic stuff to work with and the more ornate profile we chose looks much nicer in the room than plain old gyproc too. Can't find the joins myself without looking very carefully now it's smoothed and painted :RpS_biggrin: Next room, a plasterer with references I can follow up and more Orac coving!

if the same bloke done the plastering then i can see why he probably had a hard time with the coving which he sure aint a cover

Hi folks,

Can I ask for a professional opinion or three, please?

Had walls & ceiling skimmed and coving replaced in one of our reception rooms. Found the guy from RatedPeople, had decent reviews and plenty of them.

Not happy with the look of it:
(1) There's a very thick bed of adhesive between the cove and the ceiling, 5~8mm, around the entire room (it's not gap fill/uneven ceiling, as it's the same depth all round); plasterer claimed this was "the only way to do it".
(2) He's also "had to" shave down the width of the coving on the way into some of the corners to make it meet properly. He's done that from about 6 inches out from the corner, which looks obvious and frankly a bit ugly.

With the previous coving in that room and still in place in the rest of the house, the front edge is almost flush to the ceiling (maybe a 1~2mm adhesive bed at the front edge) and has no nasty corners, they all fit neatly even where the walls aren't square.

A few photos attached. The forum has shrunk them, but hopefully the detail is still clear enough.

Before I tackle the bloke with "take it down and make good, or refund me; I'll have to pay someone to re-do this!", I thought I'd get a professional view: Is the plasterer right with his thick adhesive bed and that handling of the corners, or is this a sub-standard job?

Thanks v much!

Jeff
View attachment 4333View attachment 4334View attachment 4335View attachment 4336View attachment 4337

get ur mony bac wat hwe has done it slap it up cos it was late and not scraped bac and clened off all the lines somtimes its just in experience he should have cut bac the adesive tight to cove then sponged the cove down
somtimes walls can out and u might have to try hide it but he hasnt its not me cussing the guy its wat he has done plain and simple even the joints are messy never cut them inn start again take it down and pay for the real trades man instaed the cheapest my qoute has always been it pays to do it right the first time
simplesss

Well, for those interested... RatedPeople's terms for tradesmen state that reviews can't be removed just because you don't like them; and my review is still up there. Indeed, I was even able to edit it (having noticed as I tried to fit skirtings, that the bloke's plastering was quite a lot thicker near some internal corners, I reduced his rating further!) and reducing my rating has caused them to say "we investigate all tradesmen with negative ratings". That'll be interesting, if his previous rash of positive ratings isn't 100% genuine as some of you suggested might happen on RP...!

In respect of our job, I ultimately re-did the coving myself with an Orac Axxent profile, fantastic stuff to work with and the more ornate profile we chose looks much nicer in the room than plain old gyproc too. Can't find the joins myself without looking very carefully now it's smoothed and painted :RpS_biggrin: Next room, a plasterer with references I can follow up and more Orac coving!

see orac coving is dam pricy buts its good and easy to install lol

Zombie is right ,he should of worked from corners and offered up a template.even if the ceiling was all over the place the corners would of matched . Leave line around the wall very rarely works unless the ceiling is bang on and as we all know even on new builds that's very rare nowadays

Status
Not open for further replies.