Is it worth going on site?

Members online

Drew85

Hi all. I've been in the game about 10 years now. 90% domestic which has been fine the sites I have worked on have been small and not on m2.

Basically I'm just after advice about how to get on site, average price per metre (both board and skim) and would it be worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Not been on a big site in donkeys years but expect nose done arse up all day and you will needs to be skimming approx 80 to 100 m2 a day oh and you will be very lucky to get paid across doors and windows from what I hear.

Jesus is it really that bad? I've been told you cant have high standards on site which I can understand but if I put 60 metres on a day I class that as a big day so I would be ducked after a week.

If your work has been 90% domestic you will find site work hard going, that said it's what I am used to and like many others would rather lash on more metres than feck around sheeting up and dealing with customers, moving from one place to another and everything else that goes with domestic work.
You find your own quickest pattern and work away.
TBH it doesn't seem like hard work to me but many would run a mile, each to their own and what you're accustomed to......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look at it like this, say your getting £2,50 m2. Imagine a 30m2 ceiling that you would burst your baws to do, you'd get £75 for that then have to take tax and materials off it. If you think that's the way you want to earn money then carry on.

Look at it like this, say your getting £2,50 m2. Imagine a 30m2 ceiling that you would burst your baws to do, you'd get £75 for that then have to take tax and materials off it. If you think that's the way you want to earn money then carry on.

You need to think positive:LOL:

Ffs Stuart, £2-50 supply as well lol.
Wouldn't like to live near you [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do a lot of externals on sites, big projects. No sheeting up etc and make a decent income from it.

Give it ago if your thinking about it see how it goes. I wouldn't do meter rate but that's personal opinion.

You might have seen those prices quoted in here in some parts, but none of them were supplying!
As owls said, (from what I gather off friends back home) even the lousiest subbie are at £3 or very near to it nowadays

How is 3 quid rubbish...Plenty of lads I see on projects pulling a grand a week on that, no hastle of ordering materials no organising etc, they just turn up and get paid the following week.

Just put a Extratime plaster retarder in it you'll be fine

Is there any sitework in ireland and whats the rate k
It's very different here Gibbo, it's not monopolised by big subbies, (unless you're in Dublin) and is very much each man to their own regarding small sites and private builds, getting a name in your area etc.
That said you can still be too expensive of course!! So there will be middle ground when it comes to rates.
The money paid in Dublin off subbies is poor I'm led to believe, I'm currently getting a tenner to board & skim. (Euro)

Site works fine as long as the rooms are loaded out. For some reason that 'week in hand' always fooks me up tho.

It's very different here Gibbo, it's not monopolised by big subbies, (unless you're in Dublin) and is very much each man to their own regarding small sites and private builds, getting a name in your area etc.
That said you can still be too expensive of course!! So there will be middle ground when it comes to rates.
The money paid in Dublin off subbies is poor I'm led to believe, I'm currently getting a tenner to board & skim. (Euro)
I get 3.50 for skim so about the same

How the hell can £3.00 m2 be s**t. Any spread that's any good should be able to bang 3 , three and a bit gauges on a day ,and be off by 2.30pm.that equates to 100m2 a day = £ 1500,
When the recession hit ,we were getting £ 1.60 m2 ,and still making a wage
If some of you lot were getting £ 6.00 m2 you couldn't make it pay

How the hell can £3.00 m2 be s**t. Any spread that's any good should be able to bang 3 , three and a bit gauges on a day ,and be off by 2.30pm.that equates to 100m2 a day = £ 1500,
Fook 3 gauges mate...

I couldn't at £38.67 a metre

3 gauges a day finished at work at 2.30 ?? Errrrr what time do you start?

you can get more on 3 smaller sets only finish an hour later than 2 big sets.
depends what time i can be arsed getting out of bed nowadays !!
feels strange being off work on a friday.
I don't think my body would take 3 gauges for long. 60 - 80m isn't too shabby for 2 sets and is quite do-able. At £3 a metre it ain't a bad wage.
Bloody stuck working today...

Algeeman is correct regarding the 3 smaller gauges, and only an hour behind.
Also more beneficial if the work is in smaller areas and a little 'bitty'.
For the sake of an hour you can get a little bit more on the walls and more importantly you're not chasing your bollox off.
At the end of the day it all comes down to your wants/needs/ age/ mentality regarding your work.
I like lots of tea myself.