Is it supposed to look like a quilt ??

Arti

DSC_0547.JPG

Phenolic board as Rigsby said?...,,,
Not my first hand knowledge, but remember seeing somthing on here before a while back, and the pics looked similar to that but the render was bulging big time.
Owls and Rigsby educated us..(and a few others) Re phenolic boards (y)(y)... Love that name......phenolic..!:reloco:

Few things with it,
Base coat possibly too thin,and or not ruled flat.
Looks like he hasn't rasped the joints,sometimes if you get eps insulation in shrinkwrap it bends the whole pack so if you look down each piece there slightly warped.
But I personally hate phenolic boards as they go to mush when they get wet so in winter or on a wet day you can't do anything with them, they do contract slightly as well so if he's used them he may not have enough mushroom fixings in.

Is it a different application for them like??
Excuse my ignorance but never touched EWI
No, it's the same application! Phenolic boards are nice and square which compared to eps are not likely to bend nor follow the structure behind, hence they need to be dabbed if the substrate is all over the place. That's the first mistake you can do! Rasping the boards and edges is not recommended at all! There is a special coat over the phenolic which plays its role in the whole process. If the edges are out , means you f**k*d up step one. Rasping the boards and trying to rectify the mess is making even worse- you'll see belly like bumps . The third mistake you can do Is to apply too thin the base coat with the mesh, but if you have installed the boards correctly, you'll go away with it. Phenolic boards are much better than eps, but the fact there is no room for mistake makes the " shite" for the trade.

No, it's the same application! Phenolic boards are nice and square which compared to eps are not likely to bend nor follow the structure behind, hence they need to be dabbed if the substrate is all over the place. That's the first mistake you can do! Rasping the boards and edges is not recommended at all! There is a special coat over the phenolic which plays its role in the whole process. If the edges are out , means you f**k*d up step one. Rasping the boards and trying to rectify the mess is making even worse- you'll see belly like bumps . The third mistake you can do Is to apply too thin the base coat with the mesh, but if you have installed the boards correctly, you'll go away with it. Phenolic boards are much better than eps, but the fact there is no room for mistake makes the " shite" for the trade.
i meant rasping eps insulation not phenolic.
theres nothing wrong rasping eps to get an even substrate before a base, look on you tube there's dozens of videos of Renderer's planing the insulation.
It's nothing to do with no room for errors , they delaminate under wet conditions, as a result some render manufacturers won't warranty on it. The only benefit of phenolic is you can go thinner than eps if space is tight, so on a solid brick wall to get a u value of 0.30 instead of 90mm eps you could use 70mm of phenolic.

i meant rasping eps insulation not phenolic.
theres nothing wrong rasping eps to get an even substrate before a base, look on you tube there's dozens of videos of Renderer's planing the insulation.
It's nothing to do with no room for errors , they delaminate under wet conditions, as a result some render manufacturers won't warranty on it. The only benefit of phenolic is you can go thinner than eps if space is tight, so on a solid brick wall to get a u value of 0.30 instead of 90mm eps you could use 70mm of phenolic.
All we done for years was ewi all of the above are right but 9 times out of ten basecoat to thin or havnt two passed it not many ewi systems are one pass,raspings a must to achieve flat walls on new build especially,revites still rasp but your following substrate,we have a mechanical sto rasp saves the arms and takes no time at all

Been on loads of house bashing site set fix phenolic,steps all over totally wrong board for the job,not so bad if getting dashed but not texture

Its most likely phenolic boards. They swell when the sun hits them.

Look on a cold winters day and it will fine.
Its most likely phenolic boards. They swell when the sun hits them.

Look on a cold winters day and it will fine.

Hi

Do you think this is the same problem. Is it an issue or just aesthetics? I’m about to have a meeting with my developer and appreciate any info. Thanks

Attachments

• F708FF2E-99CE-4153-A7C7-80C32687EA5D.png
    F708FF2E-99CE-4153-A7C7-80C32687EA5D.png
    10.4 MB · Views: 607