is it ok to put coving in with artex

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimplas1

hi there people ! some one told me the other day to use artex to install coving, ive used drywall adhesive to do this for years but dont like the colour as it high lights the joints and even makes good joints look bad! cove adhesive is good but very costly!

good call beddy ! i have used knauf adhesive years ago and it is a better colour but dont think its stocked by b and q or travis around here.

aye its good stuff, its good enough for taping and i like it for chucking the coving up. Seems to go further than the gypy cove addy

I wouldnt say coving adhesive is particularly expensive.. unless youre doing hundreds of metres but even then, nope, not expensive!

I wouldnt say coving adhesive is particularly expensive.. unless youre doing hundreds of metres but even then, nope, not expensive!

I pay £5 for 25kg of board adhesive and £8.50 for 12.5kg of cove adhesive so I know which one I'll keep on using.

Artex is all I ever used to put cove up with until I had some come down. I prefer to use Gyproc cove adhesive or Easifill nowadays. I have always found drywall adhesive a bit coarse for finishing.

thanks for the help, im based in leigh, lancashire. looks like i will give the artex a miss, and as essexandy points out the cove adhesive is expensive, i do tend to use alot of adheshive when i put cove up as to save time doing the back filling!

I frickin loves that b&q supa cove. Looks the same and a boquet of ready mixed cove adhesive lasts 5 years. Fact

supa cove is the future! never use anything ready mixed as it dont go off quik enough! i want to take the nails out and get paid! lol

horses for corses mate the way i was taught was to strike a line pin 4 nails per length into the wall on the strike line then maesure, cut and stick, and cos its only 4 nails per length by time youve got to the end of the room youll no doubt have a little bit of mix left the nails come out and the tiny little pin holes get filled in 5 mins

i was shown with nails originally too.but just use proper cove adhesive and put a good bit on then once you push it up,excess comes out,scrape off then sponge clean,wont drop down as other substitutes might and looks good.

i can cove but it bores me to tears so unless its one easy square room ill sub it out to an old boy i know hes the nuts, he made a 9 part free hand cornice in situe once on a job i was on i think it took him 2 months and came about 600 down the wall and 800 into the ceilin, it was mental

Cove.. use artex on freshly plastered walls and ceilings ( wet brush new plaster first) . Painted walls or ceilings always use cove adhesive, or dry wall if ur tight( its just a bit more corse for filling)

horses for corses mate the way i was taught was to strike a line pin 4 nails per length into the wall on the strike line then maesure, cut and stick, and cos its only 4 nails per length by time youve got to the end of the room youll no doubt have a little bit of mix left the nails come out and the tiny little pin holes get filled in 5 mins

Yes, we cut the whole room pinning above and below each piece as we go to hold them in place.

Take them all down just leaving the lower pins in place. Then stick them, scape and sponge, and rest on the lower pins already in.

Once picked up, we pull the pins out and caulk top and bottom.

On house bashing, a 3 bed house was an easy day for 1 man, no pins or anysuch nonsence. On refurb, and when the walls or ceilings were not straight we used the a chalk and the pins.

I will say that cove seems not to be the vogue as of late.

I love coving, it's a piece of piss. Easy money. Did 170 mtrs the other Saturday by 3pm with my lad. I cut, butter up and bang it up, and he cleans off after. No nails, no chalk lines. £2 a metre labour only.

Wondertex cove and cornice adhesive is best. Artex does not hold It permanently. And board adhesive goes too hard in Case you have to rub anything down

Status
Not open for further replies.