is it just one of those things.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

brimplas1

I know its been done to death but have a customer complaining of cracks in a room I floated with sand and cement, and would like your view how I can guard against it. the room was bare brick so I pva'd it the day before, scratched a 4 to 1 coat with water proofer in I then left it 4 days, topped it with a 5 to 1 with water proofer in, left it for 4 days to cure. I then brushed the wall off to remove the dust and pva'd it the night before I skimmed it on a tacky coat of pva.. ive been to have a look and everything is sound and solid but with a couple of fine cracks on 2 walls. any advise will be helpful.

I know its been done to death but have a customer complaining of cracks in a room I floated with sand and cement, and would like your view how I can guard against it. the room was bare brick so I pva'd it the day before, scratched a 4 to 1 coat with water proofer in I then left it 4 days, topped it with a 5 to 1 with water proofer in, left it for 4 days to cure. I then brushed the wall off to remove the dust and pva'd it the night before I skimmed it on a tacky coat of pva.. ive been to have a look and everything is sound and solid but with a couple of fine cracks on 2 walls. any advise will be helpful.
PVA with s/c :RpS_unsure:

sounds like you done things right mate,, sometimes hairline cracks are just something we have to live with when working with sand/cement,,just fill the cracks and hopefully they will be alright

instead of just pva before rendering you would have been better with a slurry or just damping the wall with water

Don't know if it's the problem but 2 coats of pva onto sc before skimming? Why not just add a touch of wp into the sc

I would of wet it down and banged on a scratch and float in one, at six to one with fibres, depending on the state of the wall possibly embedded mesh but only if needed. Leave for five days and skim after pva

Old brick walls have a tendency for movement especially after being stripped of its original base coat ,as was said in a previous post it should have been meshed with expand met then scratched floated both with water proofer ,and skimmed,PVA if left too long to cure ,as it will be like skimming over dura light blocks

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

I did some floating with S and C recently, i always put fibres in both coats and go abit weaker than 5:1 TBH. I topped it off with 7:1 mixed background, some really old brickwork and some bloody thermalites, then skimmed it after a week. It skimmed lovely with no cracks, if thats any help.

Why pva before setting,the waterproofer has killed the suction even a week later,maybe a light dampening down just to check

Please tell us SPREADS.

Did they not teach you on your coarse kebab king ,or was your tutor a cock as well because he didn't know his arse from his elbow .Sure what would you expect from a pig ,but a grunt

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Status
Not open for further replies.