is it ever going to pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris carroll

does anybody reckon the plastering trade is ever going to pick up again. enough for people to start out properly like tagging on to a real plasterer rarther than trying a four or five day course then just thinking you are a plasterer because it actually stuck to the wall this time lol.

you could of lied to me lol you didnt have to shatter my dreams.
i tried one of them courses a while back but whats the point i think if you not plastering on a regular basis. it takes a hell of a lot of skill to learn it but only five minutes to forget it lol

They wil pick up again without doubt but it may take atleast another year and then another year or so for prices to pick back up.

thats what i meant before i went on a course and he only touched on s/c render ,them courses will give you a little insight into skimming but your still a long way from being a plasterer. what would you say is the best way into the trade then.

Try & get in with a plastering firm as a labourer or patcher then work your way up mate :RpS_thumbup:

I would say best way into the trade would to get in with a decent gang or spread but as work is a little shy at the mo its gonna be harder to do........... If i could go back 20 years knowing what i know now i would of took a different path.......... Funny thing is my mate went to price a job the other day and he was met by an old woman who went on to say her husband was a spread then went on to introduce him and he was sat in the living room on an oxygen mask saying this is what plastering has done to him not a nice future :(

yeah been trying to see if anybody wants some free labour on the weekends to get a bit more experiance but no luck so far. cant blame them though they prob got bills to pay to they dont need me under there feet slowing them down do they . im sure there not just saying no coz they cant be arsed its just the way it is at the min i feel . they to busy fighting for jobs to be worrying about teaching someone at the same time.

its a cryin shame the way the trade has gone young kids cant get a start contractors f**k*d it up fetchin cheap labour in from europe & now expect in use (british spreads) most respected to doe the F*****g same :RpS_cursing:

I have to say its not going to be the same... but you never forget....

I picked up a trowel the other day after a long spell of not doing it and it was like riding a bike :)

BUt then the recession will weed out the wheat from the chaff.... so there may be a chance :)

the only problem with the recession wittling out the crap is that, from what i can see alot of good spreads are havein to shut up shop cos they just cnt compete with paul the polski saying for 50 a day hell be there from half 6 right through to 8 at night.
i had a job to price up a few months ago for someone i thought was a mate couple of weeks later i went round there and it was all done wen i asked him the polish bloke who was the labourer there said he could plaster and would do the hours i said above for the money i mentiond above. cnt compete with that and my mate knew that so diddnt even have the decency to let me know the situation.
ive been in the trade now for almost 10 years so i spose im still relativly new compared to some of the other blokes on here, but ive only been set up on my own2 years now but back in the day all the firms i worked for were absolutalt banged out with work all the time, now i ring them and thier all sitting in thier offices with thier thumbs up thier ar*es.
shame really some of them were alright

I still thimk it will recover, even more so,the naffers are dropping by the dozen, keep pitching hi , chipping away, if ypu can survive now, times will be good again.

i only asked this question as although i come on ere a fair bit im not a plasterer i do the odd little bit for friends and family and i can do my own round the house when needed but that aint excactly going to give me enough experiance to call myself a plasterer is it. i have a mortgage and mouths to feed just like everybody else so i wouldnt dream of walking out of my current job ive been there 12 years now. but if i am ever in the posistion where i could afford to earn less money and go and labour for a company ill be straight on it. worst thing i ever did going on a course lol just makes you want to get better at it all the time lol.

just remember plastering is garanteed one thing.......early death heart attacks, siaticia, artheritus, emthazema.
cnt eben spell them just know ill proberly get them and they will hurt haha soooo other than that double thumbs up from me

I think it will be at least 2 yrs before we see any turn around. What we need to do is get out the mad house of the EU. They dont give a feck who coming into briton nor does that w**k*r cammeron . All them lot are to far removed from real life to give a feck about us.

It will pick up - it always picks up, especially after Easter:RpS_thumbup:
Another source of 'domestic' work that I don't think has been mentioned is estate agents/letting agents - always worth a punt :RpS_wink:

dont count on it have you seen the news today,
uk net imigraton up by 36% on last year 572 000 came on a long-term basis, what percentage of these will have a trade.

Yer right Bubbles. I do a bit for a couple of landlords and they keep me going over the year not big money but STEADY through out the year.

You boys worried about a little competion, you need a few days with a salesman from Zenith windows, you need to sell your self, in a recesion, the fact your good is not always enough.

With all this imigraton there won't be enough room in blightly to swing a trowel let alone earn a living with one perhaps they will stop letting them in when the uk population hits a billion

Very true jj. Get yourself doon that pub with that newly signed van, my man. :RpS_thumbsup:

i think it will pick up in 18 months to 2yrs . Kebab is right though you have to sell yourself . but saying that if i was still in my 20's i would re-train in something miles away from the building game.......

I sell myself, only when things are really bad though:RpS_blushing:
Gotta earn money somehow:flapper:

All this immigration means possibly more potetial customers.Stop moaning and crack on , before you know it you have talked yourself into a depression.

People said the building industry was fukced forever back in the late 80's/early 90's, it bounced back then, it'll bounce back again soon enough.

Everywhere I've been driving lately there's skips & vans all over the place.
Lots of big construction jobs aswell like the local prison new buildings going up:-0
don't believe what you read in the papers or hear on the news it's all brainwashing bull5hit :RpS_biggrin:

Was a late start for me this year, was getting worried, got 7 quotes to write up now, wish I was quite again lol!

Nice one freed.
I've been back at work since 4th jan & booked up till end of may now so can't complain.
All domestic aswell. People are spending money!!:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.