Is cscs needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad82

Hi all just wondered if you think that cscs is really needed. I have been plastering since I left school in 98 did the college s**t got all the awards to make the college look good and no advantage to myself and got all the Shiite nvq's. They mean nothing until its on the wall and someone tells you it's a good job. I had a cscs card worked on all the sites ( whimpys, barratts , commercial domestic) then went to work kitchen fitting these bespoke crap. Got bored of traveling so came back to plaster cards run out and can't get work. I'm a tidy spread not saying I'm the bet cos as the old lad that taught me said there's always someone better and it's true no matter what you think. But do you really think the cscs if worth the hassle at the end of the day a s**t plasterer can still have cscs it's just wrong

Hi all just wondered if you think that cscs is really needed. I have been plastering since I left school in 98 did the college s**t got all the awards to make the college look good and no advantage to myself and got all the Shiite nvq's. They mean nothing until its on the wall and someone tells you it's a good job. I had a cscs card worked on all the sites ( whimpys, barratts , commercial domestic) then went to work kitchen fitting these bespoke crap. Got bored of traveling so came back to plaster cards run out and can't get work. I'm a tidy spread not saying I'm the bet cos as the old lad that taught me said there's always someone better and it's true no matter what you think. But do you really think the cscs if worth the hassle at the end of the day a s**t plasterer can still have cscs it's just wrong

It depends really, if youve got plenty of money and dont need to work, its probably not worth the hassle. But if like you say you cant get a job without it and you need the money why not spend £30 renewing your last one they should still have your details.

i have one and my son has one and he is in the navy ! i dont get asked to see it very often,but sometimes it come's in handy!! so i will keep on renewing it as and when!!

I renewed my CSCS card in March - the test centre near me was heaving with all sorts of trades. I asked some of them if they needed them to work and most said if they did not have them they would be kicked off most non private jobs. Even Councils were asking companies to confirm their staff had them.....

Big house builders and main contractors now operate a stict policy....... probably to ensure reduced insurance policys....?

I have had a card for 6 years - although I am not a site opperative (as such), I visit loads of different types of sites all over the country (private house builds to Olympics and The Shard) and it is fair to say that when there is a reputable MC or Developer involved, they all ask for CSCS card details, or for you to sign to say you have one!

It is your call - but for the sake of a few quid, a bit of revision, and probably half a day travelling and a 30min test, all for a 5 year card.....

........the state of the market at the moment, can you afford to not have one and then be turned away from a site.....?

how do polish workers get round the cscs card.cos nearly every 1 av met cant speak a word of englesh.and yet there on all the big sites do they do it in polish.

no there not needed ,thats why thay exist!
It wasn't ment as do you need them it was more to do with them not really helping thin out the rough lads like it was suggested when they first come out. They don't protect people like say gas safe does. Only people that benefit are the company's that do the test and issue the cards making money

Sorry beddy I have many qualifications as I went to uni and have a degree in economics. Trust me the cscs is not a qually I wud boast about

whoa, i can see a "my quals bigger than your quals" battle coming here............:RpS_scared:

If you haven't got one forget working on building sites unfortunately unless you're working for a small builder

Used to have complicated system years ago;if you couldnt do it you were sacked.these cards are just jobs for more jobsworths living off trades back.not about safety but greed.trades like scaffolding drf.years ago you took your life in your hands as these monkeys throwing clips around!!just sort a s**t house out canteen an **** em all bsck to scrounging out a living as traffic wardens!!!

He said scaffolders are ***** and site canteens are shitholes Gary, he speaks a different Herts than me but i can pick up on bits of it.

how do polish workers get round the cscs card.cos nearly every 1 av met cant speak a word of englesh.and yet there on all the big sites do they do it in polish.

Dont know about the polish but some of the english typed on here , leaves me scratching my head because i dont understand it. Could have been written by bloody martians for the amount of sense it makes.

Aren't the powers that be supposed to be clamping down? I heard you needed a trade specific card now to do your job, and that those with the easy to get labourers cards couldn't spread anymore...

ie. you deffo needed an nvq or apprentiship to get your card.

A 'skimmer' I know says he can just get a labourers card, and he can work as a spread!

Is that still true? No wonder we're all fooked if it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.