Internal Insulation next to window, advice please.

Hazelbkm

Hi. I'm hoping to get internal insualtion on two adjacent external walls. The issue is that on one of the walls we have a window right up to the edge of the wall. We are probably replacing the window so could look at making it smaller in width to allow the internal insulation to attach to some wall not window. It would be easier to keep same size window though. Could the insulation finish just before the window or would that defeat the whole point to have a gap? We are on a budget, so the cheapest options preferred. Any thoughts or ideas very much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20201031_160831.jpg
    IMG_20201031_160831.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 227
Hi. I'm hoping to get internal insualtion on two adjacent external walls. The issue is that on one of the walls we have a window right up to the edge of the wall. We are probably replacing the window so could look at making it smaller in width to allow the internal insulation to attach to some wall not window. It would be easier to keep same size window though. Could the insulation finish just before the window or would that defeat the whole point to have a gap? We are on a budget, so the cheapest options preferred. Any thoughts or ideas very much appreciated. Thanks!

Age of house, construction etc. What thickness were you planning on fitting?

Just stop the insulation board where your head runs across and make a reveal..no doubt some monkey will come on here telling you to go a harder and miles more expensive route but creating a little insert there won't make a difference and its best way budget wise

Thread closed

Use 30mm pir board. Stick them tight back and by the time you've hacked off the old plaster you'll be fine. If not, add a 20mm knock on to the window when you change it

Just stop the insulation board where your head runs across and make a reveal..no doubt some monkey will come on here telling you to go a harder and miles more expensive route but creating a little insert there won't make a difference and its best way budget wise

Thread closed
Thanks. That sounds like an easy option. I wasn't sure if there was an area of wall that was not insulated so therefore would be colder, if it would attract the all condensation and damp? Or is that on smaller areas like seals between boards?

As ktownsend says prob 20mm knockons i thaught you were going to dab straight over old plaster you will just have to work it all out with your plasterer really