Interim plaster holding device

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspotofbother

Been reading the forum and the issue of what we call our 'hawk/handboard' has come up a lot recently.
I think it's time for us as one unified trade to come up with a new name, that will no longer divide us!
Come on guys, let's change the world!

Rossi46

Private Member
image.jpg

Nicm

Seems to be a controversial subject.In Ireland it's called a hawk.I've only heard it called a hand board on the forum.It does'nt really bother me if some people call it a hand board. It does'nt make the job any easier!.

jdplast

You southerners can call us northern folk all you want but we call it a hand board because 1-it's a board 2- it has a handle and it designed to be held in the hand . put the two together and what do you get? Hand board..... now let's hear a southerners reasoning for naming a board you hold in your hand after a bird of prey.....should be interesting..

PlasterCraftDundee

You southerners can call us northern folk all you want but we call it a hand board because 1-it's a board 2- it has a handle and it designed to be held in the hand . put the two together and what do you get? Hand board..... now let's hear a southerners reasoning for naming a board you hold in your hand after a bird of prey.....should be interesting..

Its called a hawk here in Scotland aswell. A trowel is basically a handle with a blade on it, but we dont call it a hand blade, its called a trowel because thats what it is, its called a hawk because thats what it is!

aspotofbother

Seems to be a controversial subject.In Ireland it's called a hawk.I've only heard it called a hand board on the forum.It does'nt really bother me if some people call it a hand board. It does'nt make the job any easier!.
I know right. People get really emotional about it! Funny to read though.

Olican

Private Member
I call it a clamandacludger. Always have always will , when I ask my labourer to get my clamandacludger out he knows exactly what I mean. When talking with veterans of the trade about their clamandacludger they talk about the old clamandacludgers made of wood

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
I reckon we all should meet up, bring our Hawks/handboards, out trowels and our gaugers our brush's and our BT's
Then cover ourselves Brave Heart style with skim mixed each to there own....then @Danny shouts You may take our Hawks/handboards but you'll never take our FREEDOMMMMMM....we will fight to the death and the last man standing gets to call it what they like.
What's reckon?

tottiman

Wikipedia (southern version)

A hawk or hod is a tool used to temporarily hold a viscous material so that the user can apply that material to a surface using a different tool. It consists of a board about 25 cm (9 inches) square with a perpendicular handle fixed centrally on the reverse. The user holds the hawk horizontally with his or her non-dominant hand and applies the material on the hawk with a tool held in the other hand.

Hawks are most often used by plasterers along with a finishing trowel to apply a smooth finish of plaster to a wall. Brick pointers use a hawk to hold mortar while they work. Hawks are also used to hold joint compound for skim coating :lol:

aspotofbother

I reckon we all should meet up, bring our Hawks/handboards, out trowels and our gaugers our brush's and our BT's
Then cover ourselves Brave Heart style with skim mixed each to there own....then @Danny shouts You may take our Hawks/handboards but you'll never take our FREEDOMMMMMM....we will fight to the death and the last man standing gets to call it what they like.
What's reckon?
Sorry, it's not called a trowel. I like to call it an ant eater.

jdplast

Its called a hawk here in Scotland aswell. A trowel is basically a handle with a blade on it, but we dont call it a hand blade, its called a trowel because thats what it is, its called a hawk because thats what it is!

its called a trowel because its used to trowel up, a generator is called a generator because it generates electricity, a mixer is called a mixer because it mixes, and a hand board is called a hawk because some people were just born weird.. :lol::cachetada:

plasjack

Look online there's some videos of a couple of Pakistani me put skin on with there Hawks no trowels just Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.