Interesting BG conversation

And BG also said unifinish was a goer :tonto:
I did the BG unifinish trial , told them of the pro’s and cons , everyone kept saying it was the new sliced bread , it wasn’t , it was a really nice finish , but the backgrounds like distemper , undiluted emulsions will fail as the paint will peel , it will fail on dust , grease etc , there were too many unknowns , when you pva old ceilings you can tell if the paint will peel , it was a shame as it was a great idea , great for domestics , less Mess , but consigned to history now like tough coat

I did the BG unifinish trial , told them of the pro’s and cons , everyone kept saying it was the new sliced bread , it wasn’t , it was a really nice finish , but the backgrounds like distemper , undiluted emulsions will fail as the paint will peel , it will fail on dust , grease etc , there were too many unknowns , when you pva old ceilings you can tell if the paint will peel , it was a shame as it was a great idea , great for domestics , less Mess , but consigned to history now like tough coat
Game changer for first coat on artex

Yeh I remember (y)

Why wouldn't blue grit neutralise the background problems?

Sounds like a load of nonsense to try and part us from even more cash, never trust big business.

Why wouldn't blue grit neutralise the background problems?

Betakontakt and microgobetis are fine on distemper , the liquid is high quality and soakes right in behind it to stabilise it. The grit then acts as a key no need to wash down or use stabilising solution then pva unless of course you like to do things twice. BG grit is s**t though and the liquid won’t do the same!

Do you or get customer to wipe it off before pva/grit etc or use stabilising solution then pva/ grit?
I deal with it very rarely tbh. I usually tell the customer to clean it off and in the past I used a zinnser stabilising stuff, can't remember the name of it

I deal with it very rarely tbh. I usually tell the customer to clean it off and in the past I used a zinnser stabilising stuff, can't remember the name of it

Yea Zinsser is good stuff and for years before betakontakt I did the same but used the artex stabilising. I wouldn’t put on here a method I hadn’t used loads with no comebacks.

Yea Zinsser is good stuff and for years before betakontakt I did the same but used the artex stabilising. I wouldn’t put on here a method I hadn’t used loads with no comebacks.
Fair enough, it would probably be nicer to go over than the zinsser stuff as there's not really enough suction when you use it

Got a call this morning regarding the pure finish .

Apparently they're sending out samples blah blah. New product this that and rest of it.

Well as some of you may know it's not new and I've used a lot of it over the last 18 months.

It's great stuff but too expensive.

Anyway long story short after speaking for a few minutes and making it known I've used a lot of it.

The conversation quickly turned from free samples to product feedback.

So my feedback.
Great product, nice to use just too expensive to be viable.

Couldn't believe what came next.

Your not putting it on walls and ceilings are you?

WTF
Obviously I am love yes as I don't know of any other place you would use it quite sarcastically.

So apparently your only supposed to use it on ceilings now. "To make it more cost effective"

So the conversation went along the lines of if your trying to market this product now for use only on ceilings to make it a cost viable option you've not got a cat in hells chance.

Commercially on large buildings maybe but if I'm doing Mrs Jones bedroom 4x4, 5x4 etc then I ain't just putting a ceiling on I'd end up out of business.

Oh well that's what it is for.

It got me intrigued with it again so I scoured the internet and the white book while apprentice was prepping up.

The woman made me feel stupid on the phone by saying your only supposed to use it on ceilings.
I can't find 1 bit of spec or literature that specifies
Use only on ceiling areas.

How can a company get it so so wrong.

Who the f**k in their right mind is going to use 1 version of skim on ceilings and another on the walls.

I think they realise they've got a problem with the price of the product as it's just not a viable option whilst you can go and pick up a bag of multi or board finish
Hi, we say to get the benefit of the indoor air improvement, the minimum area that it should be used on (based on our tests) is the area of a ceiling. We'll make sure the company that is calling gets their facts correct.