Insulated Plasterboard

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathon

Hello All
Quick question why do insulated boards need a mechanicl fixing aswell as dri-wall adhesive in respect to fire safety, does the adhesive fail during a fire ?

Not too sure if your being serious or not mate :D but i will answer any how , the insulation on the board melts during a fire hence the kneed for a mechanical fixing

Johnathon said:
Hello All
Quick question why do insulated boards need a mechanicl fixing aswell as dri-wall adhesive in respect to fire safety, does the adhesive fail during a fire ?

I think it's because the foam that the adhesive is stuck to will fail if exposed to extreme heat.

essexandy said:
Johnathon said:
Hello All

I think it's because the foam that the adhesive is stuck to will fail if exposed to extreme heat.

Thought thats what i said andy ???

Hello Mate
Yes its a serious question just dont see what difference it would make as dri-wall adhesive once set is apparently resistant to fire so boards would stay attached to wall irrespective

Johnathon said:
Hello Mate
Yes its a serious question just dont see what difference it would make as dri-wall adhesive once set is apparently resistant to fire so boards would stay attached to wall irrespective

HEY JOHNATHON, thing is mate that these boards have a foam backing to them and it would just melt in a fire ;)

Hello Mate
Yes mate I know what you mean but the board will still melt in the fire even if its attached with metal fixings

Johnathon said:
Hello Mate
Yes mate I know what you mean but the board will still melt in the fire even if its attached with metal fixings

Why would the board melt ??? the only thing that would melt is the foam insulation panel stuck to the back of the plasterboard, the fixings are a safety measure so that the plasterboard does not fall on any one when trying to escape a burning building, fire fighters etc , sure you not on a wind up !!

No not on a wind up just being a bit thick, you 've explained it crystal clear I get it now, cheers for replies dont know what i would do without this forum, thanks again

Johnathon said:
No not on a wind up just being a bit thick, you 've explained it crystal clear I get it now, cheers for replies dont know what i would do without this forum, thanks again

Apologies then in that case ! you thick t**t ;D ;D

Laughin at this conversation now me. however I am slightly concerned that i did a job about six years ago at salford quays where we dabbed insulation board onto concrete along one wall in every flat and there was no spec for mechanical fixings, now I would think that a gypliner should have been in place maybe?

Thing is........ insulation board is usually put in cold damp or rooms with bad condensation problems,usually on exposed walls also.
this is not the ideal place to be dabbing insulation board as the adhesive can fail forget about fire.
For what my opinion on this subject is worth i would want to fix them to a frame work.
An if that is the case it would be cheaper to use insulation and foiled backed boards on stud work .........catch my drift??????

ive had to pull an isulated board off a wall before and it come off way too easy for my liking.

Exactly steve.i wouldnt guarantee them in certain conditions thats a fact. i.e 4 inch walls,exposed walls,damp walls,rooms with bad condensation problems and damp etc.
If you batten and fill with inso you know ur covered you know you got good fixing for as long as the wood will hold.
usefull for loft roofs i suppose.

plus, i dont think ive ever seen an insulated board that isnt bowed both ways. i think its the glue that holds the polystyrene setting that does it.

so what would you say is the best action to take? batton it out? as theres no plaster on the market today that adds thermal value is there?

i did a house with loads of pitch ceilings screw fixing them up loads of internal mitres the lot wont be in a hurry to do it again

Batten out celotex,foil back board mate,thats what i do, thats what we had to do b4 some designer at BG come up with the insulation board brainwave!!!!

skimmin2day said:
Thing is........ insulation board is usually put in cold damp or rooms with bad condensation problems,usually on exposed walls also.
this is not the ideal place to be dabbing insulation board as the adhesive can fail forget about fire.
For what my opinion on this subject is worth i would want to fix them to a frame work.
An if that is the case it would be cheaper to use insulation and foiled backed boards on stud work .........catch my drift??????

i can see exactly what you are saying mate, but i would try and sort out the moisture / damp first otherwise both systems will fail... as you have already mentioned the adhesive will not bond well to a damp/moist wall but if you were to batten the wall and fill with insulation, then the insulation will soak up the moisture like a sponge over time and this will then defeat the object so the answer is sort the damp first then choose whichever system you prefer ;)

The idea with these boards is to insulate not damp proof, they are to stop warm air reaching cold walls and condensing the water vapour onto the wall, thermal boards have vapour shield, in doing so no damp on wall.

When i said damp i mean cold exposed or 4 inch walls and walls with condesation problems not damp damp.
You know the score every little back box room has this problem in terrace houses.

skimmin2day said:
When i said damp i mean cold exposed or 4 inch walls and walls with condesation problems not damp damp.
You know the score every little back box room has this problem in terrace houses.

ohhhhhhhhhhhh condensation and not damp oh right i get you now so damp and condensation are different? there is this other fing called water nothing to do with damp or condensation coz its water not wet water thats different again and before you mention it, ice now thats another thing completely different to water and snow, did i mention snow oh sorry completely different again wow this is confusing. :)

flynnyman said:
skimmin2day said:

ohhhhhhhhhhhh condensation and not damp oh right i get you now so damp and condensation are different? there is this other fing called water nothing to do with damp or condensation coz its water not wet water thats different again and before you mention it, ice now thats another thing completely different to water and snow, did i mention snow oh sorry completely different again wow this is confusing. :)

photo-11.jpg

Last job I worked on for Landlord...single skin external walls in flat warm air was hitting the cold walls after shower from kitchen etc...we installed envirowise fans with sensors that activate the fans when they detect moisture in the air...they are tamper proof so can't be turned off by tennants one in bathroom one in kitchen...worked a treat, no more mould.

I read the top of this topic for the first time this nmorning and it has made my morning. Comedy gold

;D

ziggy2 said:
The idea with these boards is to insulate not damp proof, they are to stop warm air reaching cold walls and condensing the water vapour onto the wall, thermal boards have vapour shield, in doing so no damp on wall.
top answer!

flynnyman said:
skimmin2day said:

so tell em the difference flynny..
damp and condensation ARE different....
the most obvious one is that condensation is distilled water, wheras penetrating damp has had to travel through the substrate picking up all kinds of chemicals on its way, one of which being hygroscopic (dissolved within the substrate) salts, and if i was mildew i wouldnt like to make my home on the utah salt flats..
for the layman, condensation comes from within the room, 'damp' as flynny hates to call it, comes from somewhere else :eek:

so you didnt answer his question, board adhesive won't melt in a fire, so why the f**k is he mechanical fixing the boards?! surely the screws and plugs will melt before the board? and surely the scrim will melt and fall on you when your running out of the building in your undergrunts! ;D

We dont need flynny to tell us the diffeerence between damp we need him to tell us why to secure the inso board to the wall with a fixing,becuse if a fire did start by the time there was enough heat to burn the back of the foam on the board youd be dead of smoke inhaltion or just a pile of black ash on the floor.
Im sure the fixing is incase the board comes away from the insulation without fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.