Images of rendering to verge

Members online

hail hail

Private Member
Anyone got any pics details of rendering to the verge without the overhang of the soffit. Here in Ireland the county councils are doing away with the soffits and going for the old traditional look on the buildings on new builds. Ive do an extension and garage next year and the overhang on the plans is 50mm. Anything weve did in the past, has always been working up to the trim where the soffit sits into on the gables or faces of buildings. See pics.

What i want to know is, when the gable meets the verge, i cant help thinking where there's fascia been installed and meets this corner, surely when the rain runs down, itll get behind the render and blow it off over the years. Any images of this corner im talking about.
26734228_10204160488928242_2319210495758436657_n.jpg
27540388_10215850375281773_5153129832942088920_n.jpg
26814770_10155221939743807_1239039814077432173_n.jpg
edit1.jpg

Last edited:
it does look a cheap build without barge boards running up the gable end.
the tiles or slate usually tips up slightly on the gable to push the water back onto the roof and into the guttering.

it does look a cheap build without barge boards running up the gable end.
the tiles or slate usually tips up slightly on the gable to push the water back onto the roof and into the guttering.

Its what the county councils are demanding now here in Ireland. I agree it looks odd but its what they are wanting. I just cant get my head around if rendered right down to the corner and theres only a fascia on the front, surely if one floats till the fascia and floats the gable down to the corner of the fascia, surely water will penetrate through the back of the fascia and over time, blow out teh render. In theroy i cant get my head around it.

architects problem. Get them to tell u how they want it done. Don't take on there problem. Iv had site visit off them. And they would say what would I suggest. I just reply what ever way u come up with. If it's for the Council. They will have a Clark of works. He will be on your ass. So leave all decisions to them c**ts. Even if u know it's worng.

architects problem. Get them to tell u how they want it done. Don't take on there problem. Iv had site visit off them. And they would say what would I suggest. I just reply what ever way u come up with. If it's for the Council. They will have a Clark of works. He will be on your ass. So leave all decisions to them c**ts. Even if u know it's worng.

Private jobs or i would. I would do your method if on site. Im sure you are getting all these new verge details down teh country on anything new. Seems to be the way now up here.

Surely there should be asbestalux (spelling) under the battens and then the tiler should muck up to the slates, if that makes sense?

Don't they use a concrete underbarge as they used to up to 20 years back where you would cast the triangular box bit at the bottom or not?

The concrete underbarge cast on top of the blocks would have a triangular strip nailed to the wooden forming which would be the drip rail in the concrete.

Sorry but I have been thinking about this. Are they the tile batons on top of the blocks there? If so what is tieing the gable into the roof?

I have no knowledge but.....

On houses I have seen where the tiles/slates cover the gable walls there is an underbarge of concrete which makes the gable rigid or there is 6"x2" rafters on the outside covered in plastic/aluminium flashing which encapsulates the gable wall into the roof structure. How does this roof/gable work?

Sorry but I have been thinking about this. Are they the tile batons on top of the blocks there? If so what is tieing the gable into the roof?

I have no knowledge but.....

On houses I have seen where the tiles/slates cover the gable walls there is an underbarge of concrete which makes the gable rigid or there is 6"x2" rafters on the outside covered in plastic/aluminium flashing which encapsulates the gable wall into the roof structure. How does this roof/gable work?
Most gables are independent of the roof structure. There should definitely be something, slate or cement board type stuff (can't for the life of me remember when it's referred to as) under the battens to render up to.

I think it is called fibreboard now. It used to used for soffit as well.

I always thought the reason for an overhang on the gable was because of the exterior rafters which encapsulate the gable and make the whole roof and gable as one?

Where I am every winter, gables which aren't encapsulated in the roof structure or do not have under or over barges cast on them will come down in the storms if the roof is unfinished. No strength in a gable.

I think it is called fibreboard now. It used to used for soffit as well.

I always thought the reason for an overhang on the gable was because of the exterior rafters which encapsulate the gable and make the whole roof and gable as one?

Where I am every winter, gables which aren't encapsulated in the roof structure or do not have under or over barges cast on them will come down in the storms if the roof is unfinished. No strength in a gable.
No it's not fibreboard, it's much denser than that. We used to use it to close the cavities at the door openings before screeding.

Think it’s similar to a lot of Victorian building gable ends around here what you mean @hail hail , you could scratch coat the gable then nail a battan into gable a few inch down for temporary edge, then top coat work into tiles , whip the batten away and rub with float when firming uo to create a verge as such I did similar on a small outhouse building just to create a lip in case there is issue in future

I remember now it was a one word name. Did it begin with V?
You could well be right mate.
My old man used to refer to it as asbestalux, but that's quite likely not to be the correct name.
Metre long strips about 150mm wide. Smooth one side and rough on the other.

Use verge trim if concern. Different depths to chose from. This is what I use on exposed walls.

Thats the stuff was around in the 80's and used because it was cheaper than marine ply and already cut to the right width. Been replaced with plastic and aluminium.

The last house I did like that the builder put a strip of dpc and mesh up to the slate trim.
If it's plastered right water shouldn't be getting behind the fascia

Thats the stuff was around in the 80's and used because it was cheaper than marine ply and already cut to the right width. Been replaced with plastic and aluminium.
No mate where this is generally used you wouldn't use marine ply regardless of cost.

No mate where this is generally used you wouldn't use marine ply regardless of cost.
I remember it being used for soffitt Andy. Then it was painted. I also come across it stuck across the concrete lintels above door frames and windows to close the cavity probably so it could be plastered?

I remember it being used for soffitt Andy. Then it was painted. I also come across it stuck across the concrete lintels above door frames and windows to close the cavity probably so it could be plastered?
Oh yeah in sheet form mate, obviously this stuff is just strips.

Most gables are independent of the roof structure. There should definitely be something, slate or cement board type stuff (can't for the life of me remember when it's referred to as) under the battens to render up to.
It's called undercloak

should b a plaster -band fascia all round. View attachment 30446

Thats very similar. Was looking at one or two near me after noticing them but they have just plastered up to the fascia and put a bead on the end. Both look s**t right in the corner and id say, they will defo give problems at a later date. Your looks ok! Did you float up under the trim on the side. When doing the band under the slates, did you finish to a bead or just worked up untill the felt/slates?

yep worked up to Track when doing the band, but the roofer didn leave much to play with at all,ideally it should be done before Slating especially if u doin wet dash.

yep worked up to Track when doing the band, but the roofer didn leave much to play with at all,ideally it should be done before Slating especially if u doin wet dash.

The track underneath the slates/felt at the front. Still cant get my head around it. Ill be roofing it soon then plastering it. This garage will have a continuous vent along the underside. Did yours have the same?

The track underneath the slates/felt at the front. Still cant get my head around it. Ill be roofing it soon then plastering it. This garage will have a continuous vent along the underside. Did yours have the same?
The outer block leaf on sides were dropped and plyed. we membraned it and eml. The builder made a boo boo on the pitch of roof and he fixed it this way the cunck. it does have vent hole far side for roof. the track on gable though was different than one in ur pics, it has a plastic overhang, out an inch, so perf for band and plaster works up under it 2 seal.

This is what we did on the last one. No cracking so far.

View attachment 32886View attachment 32887

Cheers for that clemo. Have you other pics of it. Cant get my head around where the rafters are. Usually they overhang the front of the faced block. If they are cut flush with the wall while sitting on the wall plate, there will be gaps between them. Maybe this is what crom above is talking bout with the ply, membrane and expanded metal. These c**ts in the councils sure do know how to complicate things. Its one of these thou that when on site at that stage, everything will come together but trying to work it out in my head now, i cant get my head around it :(

The outer block leaf on sides were dropped and plyed. we membraned it and eml. The builder made a boo boo on the pitch of roof and he fixed it this way the cunck. it does have vent hole far side for roof. the track on gable though was different than one in ur pics, it has a plastic overhang, out an inch, so perf for band and plaster works up under it 2 seal.

Would need to see pics but have a fair idea what your talking about.