If you could go back would you do plastering again

I honestly hate plastering lol finished a house Friday internal and external and didn't even look at the house on the way out. I've been thinking today about it. If I had my time again I would have put it in to boxing. I had a gift and didn't give a f**k at the time. All I wanted to do was go out with my mates go drinking riding (not my mates) (sheep) it's my fault all my coaches and family did there best to keep me boxing. But no all I wanted was a good time. I have to say I did tho.

I wouldn't do plastering again. I'm fifty six and have been doing it for 41 years. It's a trade - or used to be - and has been good to me but I played it safe. I should have taken a chance and tried something different. I had the chance to go to Tasmania about thirty years ago but wasn't brave enough. My brother had gone out years earlier. He go work at the docks in Hobart, then became a driving instructor, then started flipping properties. He's a millionaire and lives in the most beautiful place on earth. In truth it's a mundane job. But there are a load more mundane jobs. My brother in law works in the bakery at Sayers. If it came to that I would end it. I think whatever you are you would want to be something different. We aren't our jobs. We are individuals. What do you do? I hate that question. Do I say I'm a plasterer or do i answer that I like to read and go hillwalking?

I wouldn't do plastering again. I'm fifty six and have been doing it for 41 years. It's a trade - or used to be - and has been good to me but I played it safe. I should have taken a chance and tried something different. I had the chance to go to Tasmania about thirty years ago but wasn't brave enough. My brother had gone out years earlier. He go work at the docks in Hobart, then became a driving instructor, then started flipping properties. He's a millionaire and lives in the most beautiful place on earth. In truth it's a mundane job. But there are a load more mundane jobs. My brother in law works in the bakery at Sayers. If it came to that I would end it. I think whatever you are you would want to be something different. We aren't our jobs. We are individuals. What do you do? I hate that question. Do I say I'm a plasterer or do i answer that I like to read and go hillwalking?

Good post.

Can I have a job with your brother.

He's retired now. He's sixty and retired ten years ago. He spends most of his time fishing and golfing. I think plastering is good because it's a trade. You can afford to take a chance and fall back on it. If you have a good reputation. He might have have gone there and done nothing. But you have to take a gamble. My father used to say "if ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no work for tinkers". Am I happy I did plastering for the past forty years? No. Would I have been happy being a spark for forty years? No. I don't mean to put a downer on things. You have dreams and the you get married and kids are on the way and you need to put food on the table and then you wonder where the time went. I think you need to live in the moment. Its the John Lennon line Life is what happens when your're making plans or something,

I honestly hate plastering lol finished a house Friday internal and external and didn't even look at the house on the way out. I've been thinking today about it. If I had my time again I would have put it in to boxing. I had a gift and didn't give a f**k at the time. All I wanted to do was go out with my mates go drinking riding (not my mates) (sheep) it's my fault all my coaches and family did there best to keep me boxing. But no all I wanted was a good time. I have to say I did tho.
Are you hard clemo? I'm watching bloodsport on sky goooo Van daame

I always think the same when someone asks me my job, you know they just think plastering is one thing so I usually say I'm an artist who mainly deals in magnetic wall art :)

Lol I've known many artists in the plastering trade. There has to be more alcoholics in plastering than any other building trade. I knew a fella from Limerick back in the eighties that would down exactly thirteen pints every night right after work. His girlfriend would bring his dinner to the pub and we would have it on the bar. I don't think he was an alcoholic though and his work was top notch. We let a young lad go about ten years ago and he was a drunk. He would turn up half cut and you would find cans of super strength in the van and on site. I saw him a year or two ago and he probably had a few months left. Looked twice his age. Eyes were brown and skin yellow. He said he'd just come out of hospital. He'd gone the doctors about something else and she'd called an ambulance there and then to take him in. His liver was three times normal size. It's a shame

This thread got very deep.....all that dust lends itself to drinking, first thing I want when im done is a pint so see how a lot could end up forgetting to stop.

I'd have gone into music if id have known how at the time.
No way on this earth would I have been a plasterer.
Its brought me to my knees a few times over the last 23 years.
Know a few good spreads and they've all got issues.

I have no regrets about going into this game, it provides a decent living, I do think it's a young mans game though and while your earning well you need to be planning your move into an easier living.

Last edited:
Lol I've known many artists in the plastering trade. There has to be more alcoholics in plastering than any other building trade. I knew a fella from Limerick back in the eighties that would down exactly thirteen pints every night right after work. His girlfriend would bring his dinner to the pub and we would have it on the bar. I don't think he was an alcoholic though and his work was top notch. We let a young lad go about ten years ago and he was a drunk. He would turn up half cut and you would find cans of super strength in the van and on site. I saw him a year or two ago and he probably had a few months left. Looked twice his age. Eyes were brown and skin yellow. He said he'd just come out of hospital. He'd gone the doctors about something else and she'd called an ambulance there and then to take him in. His liver was three times normal size. It's a shame
I find lads that smoke weed are a problem aswell. Stoned every night have a joint on the way to work, f**k**g bumbling about on site all red eyed and goofy. They say it doesn't effect them but it obviously does. Complete hazard to everyone else.

I'd have gone into music if id have known how at the time.
No way on this earth would I have been a plasterer.
Its brought me to my knees a few times over the last 23 years.
Know a few good spreads and they've all got issues.
Radio voice overs are kind of music...

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Thats the first thing i ever think when i see your name. Still doing it?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

:LOL: Stopped a couple of years ago.

Even when I was quite busy with it the money didn't justify the time spent.

Shame coz I've got a studio sat there filled with plastering gear now....

The armed forces for me it always appealed to me that kind of lifestyle so when I was 18 I went to the careers office to enroll for the Royal Marines but had an underlying health problem so had to wait till I was 22 which I did but I kind of lost the want for it when I started earning decent money and met my mrs, to be honest 34 weeks at lympstone would have been easier than 12 years with my Mrs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90% of the time I love it and wouldn't want to do anything else, for the life of me I do not know what else I could do that would pay the same money with the flexi hours

When I started labouring at 18 my boss put me with the plasterer. I lasted 4 weeks before I asked to go back on the hod cos he was such a miserable c**t. Didn't start plastering again till my 30s. Wished I'd stuck with the old sod cos he was s**t hot....

I'm 34 it's so far given me a great life,
I'm my own boss, play by my own rules, I top my tan up in summer, get great job satisfaction, work on a real cross section of projects, meet different people all the time, I was giving 40 odd grand for cars in my late 2os.
Where could I find another occupation that would give me that, the only negative side is the physical toll on your body, and the repetition of plastering if that's all you do.

This thread got very deep.....all that dust lends itself to drinking, first thing I want when im done is a pint so see how a lot could end up forgetting to stop.
Going for a dirty one is just so damn good

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I have no regrets about going into this game, it provides a decent living, I do think it's a young mans game though and while your earning well you need to be planning your move into an easier living.
Agree with that

:LOL: Stopped a couple of years ago.

Even when I was quite busy with it the money didn't justify the time spent.

Shame coz I've got a studio sat there filled with plastering gear now....
What mic do you use for voice over? I have bought a tonne of them and they are all shite

What mic do you use for voice over? I have bought a tonne of them and they are all shite

Tried all sorts...had a go with a neumann u87 and yeah it was OK but for the price not worth it. Just sounded like a budget mic with more top end.
I go REALLY budget with an SE2200 and MXL 990...bit of EQ and compressor and they sound top end.
What do you use a mic for Danny you doing VO work?

Tried all sorts...had a go with a neumann u87 and yeah it was OK but for the price not worth it. Just sounded like a budget mic with more top end.
I go REALLY budget with an SE2200 and MXL 990...bit of EQ and compressor and they sound top end.
What do you use a mic for Danny you doing VO work?
Ok I will check them out.... do a few vids for other projects where I need to voice over which normally happens when I cock up the live recording :)

Depends what you know about microphones and how pro you need to go, and I don't want to try and tell you how to suck eggs either!

I found any half decent condenser mic is fine but you do need phantom power for them through an audio interface.

Don't use a handheld dynamic.

It's given me a decent business and a nice house & car
I left school with f**k all so I'm happy with my work really
I dont work weekends ever and feel like I'm ready to go back in Monday from the break

f**k**g hell Keith. My mates Mrs is a solicitor. Charges £75 for a letter, most of which all she has to do is add a name and address to something prewritten on her laptop (allegedly)