Idiots guide - fibrous coving - patch up!!!

zombie

Private Member
Chaps,

Looking for a bit of help if possible please!

Working on a full house renovation and there's a section of old fibrous coving been chopped into by sparky!

Areas around 6-12" mainly just the lower details that sit nearest to the wall.

So what's the best way to restore? I have no experience what so ever with fibrous work?

Thanks lads

Chaps,

Working on a full house renovation and there's a section of old fibrous coving been chopped into by sparky!

So what's the best way to restore? I have no experience what so ever with fibrous work?

Thanks lads

@mikeadams1985 use casting, you'll need some joint rules & busks, joint rules will need to be wider than the patch.

Hopefully someone who does knows what they doing will help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chaps,

Thanks lads
It's easy enough but hard to tell someone on a keyboard , u could try , greaseing up another section , put a load of multi over the greased area , when multi goes hard , cast out of that mould , again grease the mould up , it's a crude way of doing it but easier to explain . Hope that helps and not hinders

http://fibrehandshop.co.uk/web-special--siniat-prestia-casting-plaster---pallet-40-bags-98-p.asp

This is the brand Mike uses, from what I've been told this is a slightly faster set but not quite as much tensile strength vs a different product by the same manufacturer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's easy enough but hard to tell someone on a keyboard , u could try , greaseing up another section , put a load of multi over the greased area , when multi goes hard , cast out of that mould , again grease the mould up , it's a crude way of doing it but easier to explain . Hope that helps and not hinders

Ahhhhh thanks @superspread !!!

That actually makes a lot of sense I think!

When you say grease do you actually mean as in putting some paper over the face of existing then catapult some said multi over top then let set, release and then use it as a mould to make another small piece to replace broken area?

When you say grease do you actually mean as in putting some paper over the face of existing then catapult some said multi over top then let set, release and then use it as a mould to make another small piece to replace broken area?
Nah just grease on to the cornice then put multi on it obviously when it's stiffer, you could if only normal members buy some floor scraper blades fill out with bonding rule it off and once almost gone off shape off better then easy fill over top of you don't fancy doing a mould even cruder than doing the mould but seen it done

Any pics?

Nah just grease on to the cornice then put multi on it obviously when it's stiffer, you could if only normal members buy some floor scraper blades fill out with bonding rule it off and once almost gone off shape off better then easy fill over top of you don't fancy doing a mould even cruder than doing the mould but seen it done

Ahhhhhhh yeah yeah top man @Pagey!!!!!

I like it that I'm sure will work out spot on!!!!

Many thanks pal appreciated!

If your gonna take a squeeze of the original, make sure to put some hessian and maybe some laths into the multie so it doesn't fall apart when you try to remove it.

Anything u have to hand, engine oil, for example

Grab a block of lard but warn the painter he will have to clean and seal the area you took the squeeze from.