I want a ritmo! I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim85

Hi Iv been looking and reading about the ritmo and it sounds good. And I like that it can be used to spray finish. Who uses it to spray finish? Because at the minit most of our work is site skimming with multi.

How does it work would you spray your 1st coat on then speed skim it then once uv sprayed so much and the bit you put on 1st had picked up a bit drop back and start spraying second coat coat straight away?

How many m2 are people skimming a day with theirs? And how hard are they to clean?

Also I was looking at the power coat because it says it geared up for skim, can it spray mono? Or does it need other kit then what's supplied?

Sorry for posting 20 questions on here but it'd be nice to hear what you guys think because your on the tools.

Thanks

Where abouts are you based Jim were more then happy to arrange a demo and answer all your questions,

Or you can just give me a call on 07950309632

Cheers

Stuart

It's a messy game spraying finish. You would have to have huge wall area to get me spraying skim for the hastle of it all.
The ritmo is a good arounder for domestic works, if you want to be spraying 8m high on a regular basis then probably better off with a G4.

I'm in norwich.

Does anyone spray finish then?

When I was at weber on the m1 course one of the instructors there said they'd been spraying finish, not multi but still finish and said it was unbelievable how fast and easy it was.

Looking at the videos of people spraying finish looks slow but I bet it's not when you factor in that he's not walking back and forth to get gear or bending down or getting up on hop ups or walking about on stilts.

Might be ok for site work but not domestics. However for rendering the Ritmo is ideal for domestics. 8m is ok but the Ritmo is so light and easy to dismantle you an consider extending a scaffold lift and have it on the scaffold if height is a concern.

We did a huge gable last year and had it on the first lift giving us a few more metres.
Wouldn't bother buying one for skimming only

Jim85, there is more than option for spray plaster, suggest you contact steve currier, on here as currier plastering, who does spray with different systems to get a users view. Quinns Knauf.

We did a huge gable last year and had it on the first lift giving us a few more metres.
Wouldn't bother buying one for skimming only

See then you have to move bags up the scaffold and a machine. Your back in the counter productive hand apply zone there surely.

Ritmo sprays finish fine. It's not messy if you control the minimal fall down. You can spray multi in 2 passes however I would always use MP Finish or Thistle spray finish if possible in a one coat application.

It's more suited to commercial work rather then house bashing however that's not to say it not quicker and easier then doing house bashing by hand.

We don't spray a lot of finish now as we use Knaufs Airless System. that's the future. No mess, quicker and higher quality. It's being picked up by the main contractors now who can see the benefits over slow messy snaggy hand application ( that's a overall view on plastering, I know there are some good quick clean spreads but they are rare to find now and in general a lot of site work is finish shite)

Last edited:
I did a job with the 3 phrase monojet on a high gable. It was such an awkward place to get to that it was easier to put the jet on the scaffold rather than long pipes going up what would have been 11m. So the labrador had to carry up 80 bags, fat git anyway could do with the exercise to lose some weight. Besides I want my £25 a days worth.

@Currier ive just watched your video on youtube of you guys spraying MP finish, i'm subbying for a firm at the minute who have a constant stream of work being skimmed in this stuff, everyone is hand applying it though.

I have a ritmo and just wanted to ask you did you go on the Knauf course before you started spraying this stuff? and if so would you recommend going down before you start ?

i see in your video that you sprayed about 200m2 with three of you i think? so would you say its possible for one man to apply the same as two men would by hand using the machine?

i'm currently avoiding skimming, just boarding and dabbing and doing a few renders as i've recently had a guy leave and its just me and the apprentice, and i can't be bothered with the hassle of having site agents nagging when its takes a while to hand ball a house compared with the 2 and 1 gangs so i'm just weighing up the option of dragging the ritmo out......

good or bad idea in your opinion ?

in the vid i can clearly see that you have a guy going ahead filling out the tapes and beads but the spray application looks a lot quicker than when i've seen multi applied, i'm experienced with using mp finish by hand, been using it for years, its good gear, hangs a little longer than multi and board so i'm just wondering about the speed of application.

I know i could trowel up what me and the other guy used to get on in one hit by myself as long as i can get it on quick enough, would you say that it would greatly increase the amount one man could apply on his own or would you just end up getting the same on?

or to put it another way, if you were going to skim a house in mp, just you and the apprentice, would you be hand balling or getting the ritmo out, and why?

depends on the size of the house. If it's bitty then no I wouldn't.

In the vid it's a 2+1 gang and yes the lab is filling beads and joints. The ritmo can apply 200m+ in a hour. It's got a 3 hour set time so in theory you could do 400m2 plus in a day on a job that is ready for it. But that don't happen on a job spec ed with gypsum finish.

That's why we have moved to airless. its speced so they have to have the areas ready or the system don't work

@Currier ive just watched your video on youtube of you guys spraying MP finish, i'm subbying for a firm at the minute who have a constant stream of work being skimmed in this stuff, everyone is hand applying it though.

I have a ritmo and just wanted to ask you did you go on the Knauf course before you started spraying this stuff? and if so would you recommend going down before you start ?

i see in your video that you sprayed about 200m2 with three of you i think? so would you say its possible for one man to apply the same as two men would by hand using the machine?

i'm currently avoiding skimming, just boarding and dabbing and doing a few renders as i've recently had a guy leave and its just me and the apprentice, and i can't be bothered with the hassle of having site agents nagging when its takes a while to hand ball a house compared with the 2 and 1 gangs so i'm just weighing up the option of dragging the ritmo out......

good or bad idea in your opinion ?

Hi JD

Either give me a call (07918766577 - Plaster is not my thing, but will get the right people to contact you. Or look up this thread abit and see Quinns, click through to his profile and call Clive) or Knauf HO (01795424499) to ask about doing or getting some Spray Plaster Training. You can have a look at and play with MP Finish and or Ready Mixed Plaster.

If you have a room or space large enough, our TI will come to you with Mats and Machine (unless you want to use yours). Or, you can go to either Sittingbourne (Kent - long way from Wigan) or Immingham (North East Lincs - other end of the M62)

As Currier has said - it is best to have a good size area and a clear run (no other trades), otherwise you are better by hand.

Give it a go!

Good Luck

Richard Lord

Last edited:
Hi JD

Either give me a call (07918766577 - Plaster is not my thing, but will get the right people to contact you. Or look up this thread abit and see Quinns, click through to his profile and call Clive) or Knauf HO (01795424499) to ask about doing or getting some Spray Plaster Training. You can have a look at and play with MP Finish and or Ready Mixed Plaster.

If you have a room or space large enough, our TI will come to you with Mats and Machine (unless you want to use yours). Or, you can go to either Sittingbourne (Kent - long way from Wigan) or Immingham (North East Lincs - other end of the M62)

As Currier has said - it is best to have a good size area and a clear run (no other trades), otherwise you are better by hand.

Give it a go!

Good Luck

Richard Lord

Hi,
thanks for the reply, i don't get on here too often due to being so busy that's why i haven't replied earlier but i will definitely give you a call in the coming weeks and arrange something so that we can have a look at the mp being machine applied.

thanks for the response

HI curry just wondering what airless sprayer you use to spay the knauf airless plaster and could you spray it over a cement render background?
depends on the size of the house. If it's bitty then no I wouldn't.

In the vid it's a 2+1 gang and yes the lab is filling beads and joints. The ritmo can apply 200m+ in a hour. It's got a 3 hour set time so in theory you could do 400m2 plus in a day on a job that is ready for it. But that don't happen on a job spec ed with gypsum finish.

That's why we have moved to airless. its speced so they have to have the areas ready or the system don't work

HI curry just wondering what airless sprayer you use to spay the knauf airless plaster and could you spray it over a cement render background?

We use a airlessco sl1500 most of the time. You can apply the Knauf ready mix airless plaster over sand and cement but ive never done it. We use MP75 as a base on blockwork

But you can coat the mp75 the same day if need be and just wait until it all dry before sanding

It takes ages to dry i found.
Could you not just trowel up and polish the mp75. Seems a waste of material and a more drawn out process till payday.

This airless is a load of b*ll***s in my opinion its twice the work in any scenario, I personally think and no offence @currier that you are too easily sucked in on products and machines.

Fair play to Curry, if it makes the job on site easier and he is making money leave him to it.

Skimming day in and out is ok for 20 somethings until your joints ache. If airless can preserve your joints and help you work towards pension age then that can only be good.

It might knacker your lungs from all that sanding though and anyway your still trowling it, you may as well use mp or spray finish and not have to tape and joint first.

I like the idea of jointing and taping. The American systems doesn't crack. I was a dry liner in the 80's, so fast with the ames taping machine. Bit ahead of its time though in the 80's, browning and skim ruled the day.

As for dust wear a mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.