I need to rant and vent my frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

reeves1985

Turned up to work this morning at 8:30 as agreed, nobody in!
Called and said they'd be 10 minutes.
Half an hour later they turned up!

Go inside (this is the second attempt at this job)
After initial viewing and quoting told the guy the boarding was horrendous and needed rectifying either by me or himself.
Told him it would actually be cheaper for him to let me do it but he wanted to do it.
Anyway left him with the price and told him that the 3-4" gaps needed to be sorted with slithers of board.
Asked him who did the other skimming work because they wanted shooting never seen anything like it.

Anyways back to today
Gets in to the job eventually.
My God I don't know whether to laugh or cry
Screws stood an inch or so proud velix Windows incorrectly finished the boards aren't even in the grooves and there's gaps all the way around!!
Oh yeah and its a mix of normal boards and moisture boards which it wasn't when I looked!!
Pitched roof side boards are and inch short
And all the other gaps that were there before have been filled with multi finish.
There's tools and furniture all over the place.

I don't know if this guy's taking the piss but I'm ready to sack it off.

I've only ever walked off a job once in 12 years and don't like doing it but this more than likely will be the second.

I can foresee all the problems now before I start.

I need to take a little bit of responsibility as I took the guy on his word it would be sorted and I shouldn't have quoted but this is a joke beyond belief

To be fair I would of popped over yesterday on the way home, tell him to get to f**k and move on. Your gonna have problems getting payed if he is broke at this stage so sack it you will learn which jobs are time wasters, I would of sacked the job the first time.

Had plenty of timewasters I'm my time and agree that I should have walked originally.
I'm not so sure they guy's broke.
Either way I don't like walking away hence I've only ever done it once but I'm not putting my name to this!

I'm more pissed at myself for not walking away in the first place.

Had plenty of timewasters I'm my time and agree that I should have walked originally.
I'm not so sure they guy's broke.
Either way I don't like walking away hence I've only ever done it once but I'm not putting my name to this!

I'm more pissed at myself for not walking away in the first place.
You will be even more pissed you never walked away once you have down its and your arguing like f**k for your money and he's pulling the job to bits, get some pics, we love pics if you decide to do it.

You will be even more pissed you never walked away once you have down its and your arguing like f**k for your money and he's pulling the job to bits, get some pics, we love pics if you decide to do it.

I be taken some pics and told the guy I'm not prepared to put my name to the work with the prepared being as bad as it is.
Also told him that by the book you are not supposed to skim moisture boards without a proper key etc etc
Said all screws need driving properly home gaps need sorting properly
And just said if I'm honest the jobs not worth the hassle for me!

The guy only expected me to go to builders merchants and get new boards go back and swap them and said I'll bung you an extra 10-20 quid!
Like fcuk you will.

Mrs gets involved then saying we'll just do this bit and that bit today then swap them boards. Then this
My reply was I'm sorry love that's going to put an extra day on the job and I don't have another day and I've also only priced for the job for the 2 days.
Oh well Ian will sort you an extra 20 quid out.

Needless to say I'm now sat at home with my head in paperwork.
I got a feeling nobody else will do the job which is what I should have done in the first place!

Wait for the pics I took a couple of the plaster they had done and one absolute classic of 1 board

So your still planning on doing it?
No mate I'm not doing it its not worth the headache
I'm sure he'll get some donut to go in
He's already had one
Check these pictures out

Attachments

• IMAG1269.jpg
    IMAG1269.jpg
    674.3 KB · Views: 346
  • IMAG1260.jpg
    IMAG1260.jpg
    766.7 KB · Views: 373
  • IMAG1258.jpg
    IMAG1258.jpg
    754.2 KB · Views: 362
  • IMAG1266.jpg
    IMAG1266.jpg
    827.1 KB · Views: 411
  • IMAG1262.jpg
    IMAG1262.jpg
    691.6 KB · Views: 331
I just got a phone call saying I have 60 plasterboards that I need skimmed ASAP. We just want a quick job ????. There is probably only 2 or 3 days work in it he says???. I say a quick job no problem. I will do it in a day do you want me to supply the skim. No he says it would probably be cheaper for me to buy it. OK I say I now have him on speaker phone. There is now 4 other tradesmen listing to the call. I say did you do the plasterboarding. He says i did. I say that's great. He says can I give him a price now or do I need to call out. I say I can price it now. He says that's great. I say €1200 the phone go's silent his end. The guys am on the job with are pissing themselves laughing. After about 10 sec he says 1200 for a day's work. I say u want a quick job. He says 1200 though. I say I'll do it by myself it will take me 3 days if that makes you feel better. He says f**k off you prick. Lol. U can tell in the first min of a phone call if the client is a waste of time. The plumber that is on this job with me says to me am buying you lunch. That phone call made his day.

He's already had one
Check these pictures out
Lol I would of ran out of there he has bought all the damaged boards from B and Q that's why he has the moisture boards, tight c**t would of had your pants down guaranteed.

Lol I would of ran out of there he has bought all the damaged boards from B and Q that's why he has the moisture boards, tight c**t would of had your pants down guaranteed.

I think there's also some 9.5mm boards on there as well and insulated boards

I was fuming although I've calmed down now and got to laugh really

I get jobs like this quite often, diyers who think there builders.

I always say the same thing on those jobs, eather you pay me before I skim it because the finish in the bad areas is going to be crap or you pay me for another day to put it right prior to skimming it

He's already had one
Check these pictures out
I can feel my arteries harden looking at those pictures.No money would pay you to take that on.

Turned up to work this morning at 8:30 as agreed, nobody in!
Called and said they'd be 10 minutes.
Half an hour later they turned up!

Go inside (this is the second attempt at this job)
After initial viewing and quoting told the guy the boarding was horrendous and needed rectifying either by me or himself.
Told him it would actually be cheaper for him to let me do it but he wanted to do it.
Anyway left him with the price and told him that the 3-4" gaps needed to be sorted with slithers of board.
Asked him who did the other skimming work because they wanted shooting never seen anything like it.

Anyways back to today
Gets in to the job eventually.
My God I don't know whether to laugh or cry
Screws stood an inch or so proud velix Windows incorrectly finished the boards aren't even in the grooves and there's gaps all the way around!!
Oh yeah and its a mix of normal boards and moisture boards which it wasn't when I looked!!
Pitched roof side boards are and inch short
And all the other gaps that were there before have been filled with multi finish.
There's tools and furniture all over the place.

I don't know if this guy's taking the piss but I'm ready to sack it off.

I've only ever walked off a job once in 12 years and don't like doing it but this more than likely will be the second.

I can foresee all the problems now before I start.

I need to take a little bit of responsibility as I took the guy on his word it would be sorted and I shouldn't have quoted but this is a joke beyond belief
Walk

aaaaaaaaaah. The great general public have got worst over last four / five
years & definitely worse since start of this year.

Ive had quet a few the other way the last 5 years or so, as in they are really anal about the prep. Fella stripped the plaster back to brick on every wall and put betakontakt on them bought from wickes (£16 a tub that does 3m)
He wanted to do the boarding and dabbing and was that slow i had to change the pencilled in dates 3 times. His wife told me on average he put 8 coats of paint on the plaster!I ventually finished this job last year after 5 years of coming and going and am on a similar job for someone who goes white when i give him a deadline date! All the boarding was very good to be fair except the first fella using 8/10 screws per line! They tend to go over every little detail but have no sense how the wife and children are fed up and cant he just get on with it! :loco:

Status
Not open for further replies.