Hydraulic lime finish over mixed substrate

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyzplasterer

Walls are mix of substrates, multi, cement render and painted lime.

The existing plaster is in good condition, and the customer isn't concerned about breathability so I won't be removing paint, cement render etc. She just likes the look of lime and wants to lime wash it. Old cottage.

My question is, how do I prep these mixed substrates for lime finish? and what lime finish is best to use?

I was thinking I could use BondIt to prep walls.

Thanks

Walls are mix of substrates, multi, cement render and painted lime.

The existing plaster is in good condition, and the customer isn't concerned about breathability so I won't be removing paint, cement render etc. She just likes the look of lime and wants to lime wash it. Old cottage.

My question is, how do I prep these mixed substrates for lime finish? and what lime finish is best to use?

I was thinking I could use BondIt to prep walls.

Thanks

Use DG27 it is the lime version of Betakontakt.

You could use a 3/2 finish followed by a smooth regency lime or just the regency over the Kontakt at 1mm then left over night to dry mist with water before another tight 1 or 2mm

Hi James, what sort of finish will the regency lime give me? Can I just float it?

Also how come I have to leave overnight before putting second coat on?

Thanks

Hi James, what sort of finish will the regency lime give me? Can I just float it?

Also how come I have to leave overnight before putting second coat on?

Thanks

Lime takes longer to pull in/set than gypsum especially on low suction. It does not require as much of a key as modern plaster and likes a little suction but not too much, that's why you use a mist of water. Letting the lime pull in overnight helps with the adhesion and of further coats sticking. This technique is similar to using marmorino plasters and VENETIAN stuccos.
The regency lime gives a very flat smooth finish and contains a small amount of marble dust so can have a slight polish. The 3/2 is more traditional for a cottage with a float or sponge finish. These I get from Mike Wye.

Thanks for explaining that James, sounds like 3/2 is the product I need. I'll call Mike Wye in the morning. I'll probably be in touch tmw Dave.

Dave I reckon I'll need about 7 tubs off you, got to check meterage tmw evening. Can you put them back for me, I can pick up first thing Friday morning. Can't find your mobile number.

Thanks

Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.