Hug a Sparky!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackster

Hi Guys,

As an ex sparky with 26 years experience (you can see why I'm on this forum in the "say Hello" bit) I can say with all honesty that never once has a spread asked me to tuck my cables inside the boxes.

Until reading some of the posts on here, I had no idea that it annoyed you so much and I'll bet that there are loads of other, equally ignorant sparks around.

So go on you lot, hug a sparky and tell him what's on your mind.

You know it makes sense ;D

Nice

What a lovely welcoming bunch you are.

I join in with 2 or 3 other forums for likeminded peeps (motorbikes etc) and was warmly welcomed to each of them.

They are a valuable source of info and help, as forums should be.

My 2nd post on here simply pointed out that the hated sparkies probably don't realise that they are doing wrong and I get these replies.

Who did I insult or slur to justify this?

I am doing a course in Jan simply because I respect the very skillful job you guys do and want to do a few jobs round the house.

I found this forum and thought that it may be of some assistance during my learning curve.

How wrong I was.

This is my 3rd and last post of here.

Best of luck and Tara

Jack

in 26 years you have never been asked or have never heard about tucking wires in the boxes, i can smell a funny smell,

bullshizzle

Hello Welcome,

come on guys its good to see a EX sparky on here!!

We are all in the same industry! I wonder actually how many spreads have said.....

"OI SPARKY ROLL EM IN!!"

I know I have and tehy seem to do it.... well after I cut them an inch from teh box....lol

Welcome to the forum mate ... we are nice bunch when "THEY" let you in....

I am a car enthusiast and yes I have a forum for that to. (I will hopefully be manufacturing kit cars next year too)

All the best

Danny

PS been on the goon tonight lads... P!SS£D

Jackster said:
Nice

What a lovely welcoming bunch you are.

I join in with 2 or 3 other forums for likeminded peeps (motorbikes etc) and was warmly welcomed to each of them.

They are a valuable source of info and help, as forums should be.

My 2nd post on here simply pointed out that the hated sparkies probably don't realise that they are doing wrong and I get these replies.

Who did I insult or slur to justify this?

I am doing a course in Jan simply because I respect the very skillful job you guys do and want to do a few jobs round the house.

I found this forum and thought that it may be of some assistance during my learning curve.

How wrong I was.

This is my 3rd and last post of here.

Best of luck and Tara

Jack

your spot on jackster this is no way to be treated but im not gonna discuss this on here we can discuss this on the other forum www.iamnotbeingspokentolikethatcozimasparkandimstuckupmyownarseandicanttakeajoke.com xxxxxx

lads, lads...
one of the problems within the building trade is the lack of multi trade experience...

once upon a time, the bloke who ran the job had been involved in one trade or another for donkeys years and had a good broad based knowledge... he was the bloke who was supposed to be telling the sparkies to tuck their wires in AND the plasterers to clean out the bloody boxes...

just doesnt happen these days.. well not often...

personally ive run a lot of refurb jobs and done a lot of the work myself...

the plasterers get asked to clean out the boxes, clean the door liners, leave it as flush as possible to the door liners, clean the windows, keep it tight on the skirting lines etc etc....

ill bet a lot of 'plasterers' would think im a right c**t but the sparkies and chippies wouldnt...

then again the sparkies get asked to tuck their wires in and i'd shove a bit of bonding in the gap between the boxes... its just easier to fit the boxes half an inch apart.. the link wires go straight betwen the two and if you butt them up tight the fronts wont go on...

half the time i'd run round tidying up peoples work just so the next stage could crack on without spending half the day moaning about it, not because the trades wouldnt do it themselves, but just to make their life easier.. im the best labourer money can buy...

if the people holding the purse strings think just bunging all the different trades in together and expecting them to get on will save them money without someone to mediate they might be right, but something else will suffer... insert list here...

ok, a light switch 3 inches from an architrave is a pain but a midget trowel gets you out the sh't and anyway, its not difficut to remove the architraves, pull the nails through the back with a pair of pliers so as not to splinter the face and refix on completion

everyones as bad as everyone else in general and the problem is down to laziness... a 'not my problem' attitude and anyone who says theyve NEVER done anything like that is a big fat liar imo...

im as guilty as the rest but i learned.. there comes a time when you have to rely on other trusted tradesmen and a bit of give and take goes a long way... and the end result is a better job for the customer with less stress which gives you a better reputation and therefore more work...

right im off to the greenpeace meeting ;D

well said!!

I used to have a tiler call me a w**k*r cos of something I did he only used to bitch to teh builder then one day I popped in and said whats your problem he explained and I explained why I did it and hew as like OH I SEE... and never moaned again!!

all trades are a pain in the ass!!

Danny

first class chris w, tradesmen need to share aspects of their chosen trades that help following trades, ok so we get on site and the sparks have left wires out of boxes and the kitchen looks like a chimpanzees play pen,but a quiet word with either the sparky or site agent usually does the trick,i have had a few run in with what i thought were arrogant sparkies, once started a new house, wires f**k**g everywhere, thats it! out with the snips, off i went cutting away,wires marked with where they were to,f**k him, i put all the offcuts in a old plasterboard nails box,and put it in the cupboard under the stairs, all plastering finished, sparky walks in, where's all the f**k**g wires he asked, in a box under the stairs i said!!!! it took 3 blokes to pull us apart,blood everywhere, needless to say next house all wires in boxes all neat and tidy.
a bit extreme i know but it taught him a lesson. and me aswell.dont just blade on with ignorance,use a bit of thought to our lesser skilled trades ;D ;D

I always ask sparks to tuck in the cables if they dont well out come the snips, and i make sure the skirtings and door frames are clean for the finishings, respect for following trades, something the sparks lack :mad:

i always clean the boxes out after skimming but do i get the feeling i get better thought of no i dont everyone to selfish with each other in this game sorry but thats my opinion

There have always been an unwritten rule that if the sparks dont tuck wires in we dont clean boxes out thats how its always been.

I agree flynny i always clean my boxes out even if the wires are hanging out i also tuck all the wires into the boxes before i start always seen it as part of prep, but it is annoying which i think alot will agree.

marshaltown should start selling cable shears... ;D

come to that, what does everybody use to clean out their boxes? i use the corner of the trowel just as its setting... does anyone have a 'little box cleaning tool'? (apart from spunky ;D)

;D I usually use a knife or a small tool cuts em out nice, well saying me i dont tend to do it my self that would be lying i usually get the lab to do it ;)

Chriss is right though the industry is F***** no one cares anymore its all targets even the site manager, if he dosent meet the target times, which are always unrealistic he gets the sack, how is he suppose to get another job with that on his C.V.
Lucius

Status
Not open for further replies.