How's everyone fixed for work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s.p.t plastering

I'm quiet last job was over last weekend. Checking previous diaries always quiet around this time it would seem.

How about everyone else? Hopefully will pick up soon or phone will start ringing.

I'm quiet this week got a ceiling to do fri but that's it, did have a full week but a customer had a heart attack fri eve so that's 4 days out the window don't think it was over my price??! I've worked for them before so know it's genuine always a bit hit n miss start of year with people still paying Xmas off!

I'm booked up for about 3 weeks, I'd planned on working on my own house doing some plastering after having it damp proofed then typically work went mad, shouldn't moan really but work always comes in when you plan something like holidays etc

Working this week. Got a couple of messages on my answer machine I just can't be ****** to follow up I'm sick to death of domestic work.

I've taken a week off to work on my own place needs full reskim then im traveling up north to do a 5 bed detached for a builder i work for up there so steady really!! I just need to find more work in devon im getting sick of the 51/2hr drive back to Yorkshire hopefully will get busier just need to get in with the right people down here :RpS_wink:

I've taken a week off to work on my own place needs full reskim then im traveling up north to do a 5 bed detached for a builder i work for up there so steady really!! I just need to find more work in devon im getting sick of the 51/2hr drive back to Yorkshire hopefully will get busier just need to get in with the right people down here :RpS_wink:

Where in Devon you based too smoother?

so far work wise good start to the year, been busy since start of year and booked up for another 3 weeks, good jobs,good payers, but got a possible court case hanging over me and that does bother me

I had 30 days work put back last week had one day off then worked every day and the weekend since,got a few weeks in front then the 30 days should start,I hav a nit after that too.

Just had a voicemail telling me a quote I gave has been beaten by a local handyman by £400. The job was skim every ceiling in a 4 bed house over artex, the upstairs is 2.6 metre high ceilings and 2 of the large bedrooms are vaulted ceilings. My reaction was let the daft handyman do it lol this is what we are up against! I'd love to see the mess he leaves

feast or famine buddy always the same!!!:RpS_mad:

my phones been mental for past 2/3 weeks im booked up with the odd gaps for next 6 wks...but I have a regular contract with a bathroom firm which usualy works out 2/3 rip outs a month giving apx 2/3 days work at a time...

but what I have found is that everyone that fones wants the work doing asap as in within the next 10 days from foning...so cant benefit from all the calls anyway...

tbh id do quite well at mo if I could be motivated to put the graft in but I have all on mustering up the motivation to stay for a 2nd gauge most days:RpS_thumbdn:

if im realy honest I like being quiet..obviously not to the point that I cant pay the bills but if I could just stay a couple weeks and no more infront all the time would suit me fine!!!:RpS_thumbup:

not worked for about 3 weeks goin bac this week new company i got 2 choices damp company or a council maintance firn nhh i think there called getting lazy

feast or famine buddy always the same!!!:RpS_mad:

my phones been mental for past 2/3 weeks im booked up with the odd gaps for next 6 wks...but I have a regular contract with a bathroom firm which usualy works out 2/3 rip outs a month giving apx 2/3 days work at a time...

but what I have found is that everyone that fones wants the work doing asap as in within the next 10 days from foning...so cant benefit from all the calls anyway...

tbh id do quite well at mo if I could be motivated to put the graft in but I have all on mustering up the motivation to stay for a 2nd gauge most days:RpS_thumbdn:

if im realy honest I like being quiet..obviously not to the point that I cant pay the bills but if I could just stay a couple weeks and no more infront all the time would suit me fine!!!:RpS_thumbup:

Yeah i'm the same bud when busy, To be honest busy for me is 3 to 4 weeks in font of me...No one else will wait past that unless repeat customers., So lose work when busy. But i'm finding at the moment the jobs i'm looking at people don't want it start for 2 to 3 weeks now. So it's the other way round.

Always amazes me when plasterers say there booked up for 6 months at a time, maybe on site work but i find that hard to believe on domestics...One of my mates who was a plasterer used to say was booked up for 12 months all the time and always busy, till i seen his wife one time and she said he was at home most of the time with nothing on....Lol ****

Yeah i'm the same bud when busy, To be honest busy for me is 3 to 4 weeks in font of me...No one else will wait past that unless repeat customers., So lose work when busy. But i'm finding at the moment the jobs i'm looking at people don't want it start for 2 to 3 weeks now. So it's the other way round.

Always amazes me when plasterers say there booked up for 6 months at a time, maybe on site work but i find that hard to believe on domestics...One of my mates who was a plasterer used to say was booked up for 12 months all the time and always busy, till i seen his wife one time and she said he was at home most of the time with nothing on....Lol ****

biggest knobs and bullshitters in the building game bar none mate plasterers fact!!!:RpS_thumbdn:

I must admit I can and have get upto 8-12wks but that's with scheduled contract work and I detest it...it gives me sleepless nights!!!...

I don't advertise so its thankfully repeat work so generaly prepared to wait a tad longer...but not much!!!

ps...I was exactly the same in January had about 6 calls the first week or so back when I was needing to start booking in work and they were all looking for the work to be done late feb/march and 1 even april!!!

tbh though I moan when they want it doing asap and I moan when they want to book in for about 4 months time I mean how the hell are you supposed to know where you will be at come then!!!!

I only do internal generaly though with the odd few m2s of render or thin coat I guess for external work if established you could build up some lead time

things are busy in essex at the moment. we have got a 3 weeks booked on domestics. my sons who are on site tell me that they are earning decent money. plus they can choose their work, rendering paying better then internals though you need to hit 6 bags a day each plasterer.

Surprised your not busy mate, going by the bad review on Freeindex. Lol

Nightmare customer? Don't bother with Freeindex anymore all want something for nothing.

She was a absolute nightmare, skimmed 3 rooms for her and her bloke on separate occasions. And he happily paid me after every job saying he was over the moon with the work and why didn't he get me from the start. Still have the text messages saved on my phone from him. Then 3 months after the last job, his missis randomly phones me up saying she's skint and she's borrowed that money and not happy with the work now and wants a full refund!, 2 of the rooms i done where already painted when i did the last job and where fine.. Nutter, started threatening me and that. I said why didn't you ring me up 3 months ago to put right or take a look then and why get me back for 3 repeat jobs if not happy...

Had 3 jobs off free index since so she hasn't effected me....

Someone on here they don't bother with that booking in thing,they just always find a way to fit them in,I know that joiners tend to do that,they have 5 or 6 jobs on the go...and you're right gps I just having alittle dig

Flat out site bashing which is a bit like groundhog day but the moneys ace so you cant have it all i suppose .
Although im off this week to spend some time with the kids and to do some homework on a couple of renovations selling at auction next week, ones looking like a proper money pit. think im going to bid on the other though.
First time bidding at auction so should be interesting.

things are busy here in hertfordshire at the moment got 13 new builds on plenty of domestics a few good leads from the new builds for bigger jobs and a few good sized extensions goin up aswell but to be fair the fella i work for is one of those that built up a good reputation and everyone round here goes to him for plastering and building works now he has about 9 spreads and probably the same builders goin at the mo we never really stopped over christmas but we did have a large new build house that we could get into when ever we wanted so if we wanted to work we could

Just had a voicemail telling me a quote I gave has been beaten by a local handyman by £400. The job was skim every ceiling in a 4 bed house over artex, the upstairs is 2.6 metre high ceilings and 2 of the large bedrooms are vaulted ceilings. My reaction was let the daft handyman do it lol this is what we are up against! I'd love to see the mess he leaves

u should text them back what u just said and say good luck ill bet they will think about it and ring u bac lol

things are busy here in hertfordshire at the moment got 13 new builds on plenty of domestics a few good leads from the new builds for bigger jobs and a few good sized extensions goin up aswell but to be fair the fella i work for is one of those that built up a good reputation and everyone round here goes to him for plastering and building works now he has about 9 spreads and probably the same builders goin at the mo we never really stopped over christmas but we did have a large new build house that we could get into when ever we wanted so if we wanted to work we could

Fair Play dude.

Do you work on day rate or price for company who does mixture of work like that?

if he needs anyone im in hitchin get u lots of reffs and my finish is bang on cheers

i work for him so i get a set amount + bonus's for finishing ahead of time and such forth so he might have it on price but we get paid set rates with a little brucie incentive but he gets quite good rates to be fair like i said hes got a good rep so hes one of the few that people are happy to wait for ive worked for him for just over 2 years now and we havent been quiet once in that time so he must be doing something right, he started as a plasterer and now hes moved onto building and thats taken off for him aswell, and the couple of us that have worked for him for a while get looked after quite well to be honest

Flat out site bashing which is a bit like groundhog day but the moneys ace so you cant have it all i suppose .
Although im off this week to spend some time with the kids and to do some homework on a couple of renovations selling at auction next week, ones looking like a proper money pit. think im going to bid on the other though.
First time bidding at auction so should be interesting.

we have purchased at auction, you do need to have your finance in place before you bid. you exchange contracts on the drop of the hammer and complete in 30 days.
to get you self some advantage,before the sale of each auction the vendors solicitor will ask if anyone has any questions? ask what about the flooding? he will not be able to answer this question as he knows nothing about flooding. this will put other bidders off the property. you may then be able to purchase at a knock down price.
if at the end of the auction the solicitor may ask you about the flooding? just answer that you could have said good morning!

we have purchased at auction, you do need to have your finance in place before you bid. you exchange contracts on the drop of the hammer and complete in 30 days.
to get you self some advantage,before the sale of each auction the vendors solicitor will ask if anyone has any questions? ask what about the flooding? he will not be able to answer this question as he knows nothing about flooding. this will put other bidders off the property. you may then be able to purchase at a knock down price.
if at the end of the auction the solicitor may ask you about the flooding? just answer that you could have said good morning!

I like it :D

Nice one malc,
The monies in place, up to what I think its worth to me as a project. Unfortunately it is more then likely going to be worth slightly more to someone else whos intending to have it as their family home, there was a lot of interest on the open day so im not holding my breath will see what happens on the 26th.

Status
Not open for further replies.