How would you plasterboard this steel beam?

Members online

Gatafwbox

Hi, I think this still beam needs boxing / covering with plasterboard to make it fire safe. Do you agree? How would you do it? Thanks

Attachments

• 1B476DF1-5705-4225-B712-29AC6D11D07D.jpeg
    1B476DF1-5705-4225-B712-29AC6D11D07D.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 162
  • C0D6C749-6D34-4515-AA58-4FF21D138E27.jpeg
    C0D6C749-6D34-4515-AA58-4FF21D138E27.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 166
Hi, I think this still beam needs boxing / covering with plasterboard to make it fire safe. Do you agree? How would you do it? Thanks

Depends if BC are involved. Regardless, depending on over hang on wall, cut some cls so it’s a tight fit into the web, notch corners and put a bit of grab adhesive and hammer in. DAB boards, tap plumb and screw in at top in to your timbers.

Depends if BC are involved. Regardless, depending on over hang on wall, cut some cls so it’s a tight fit into the web, notch corners and put a bit of grab adhesive and hammer in. DAB boards, tap plumb and screw in at top in to your timbers.
Thanks. Some more questions:
1- Looks like the existing plasterboard on ceiling hides the top part of the web. Should I cut that out?
2 - what do you mean by notch the noggins’ corners?
3 - how far down should the new boards go down?
4 - do you think I should tape/plaster over the joins
5 - does it need a beading on lower edge

Attach wood to the ceiling and below the beam and on both adjacent walls to the level off the inside of the box. attach board vertically then wood on inside corner , Attach board horizontally.

1- Looks like the existing plasterboard on ceiling hides the top part of the web. Should I cut that out?
You’re obviously out of your depth pal, get a spread in

I wouldn’t bother.

Internal corners on steel are radiused

Depending on what your doing to the wall, board to the floor and hide the steel completely. You could screw battens to the wall that come flush to the edge of the steel and not bother dabbing.

You can do what you want.

No, unless you’re not hiding steel completely, then you’ll end up with a tiny boxed in section at top of wall, so will need a corner bead.

Get a can of intumescent foam and fill up the gaps around the steel before you board it.