how to scratch lines in render for that block effect?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizard821000

hi guys,

been a plasterer for 14 years and can honestlt say iv never had a request for this, untill now. but i dont know how to do it? what sort of tool should i use? and at what time of the rubbing up method should i do it?

im firmiliar that once the render is rubbed up and sponged it can be britle to work on, so im worried about dragging something through it coz it might tear or drag build up etc.

the lines are proper thin that i have to match( exsisting house into new extension)

any help be grand :RpS_thumbup:

many thanks

If the lines are 'proper thin' as you say then you might need to just use a trowel...........but that's not a recommendation from me, OK? :RpS_thumbup:

they look as thin as a trowel line for sure, just worried about it dragging and tearing.... as that tends to happen i find once the render is sponged. any other tips mate? was just thinking about using a fatish nail tbh.

16885_4147660328714_395817811_n.jpg

You mean like this. If you want really thin, use a small thin stone cutting angle grinder blade , cut in half. Do the coarsing the next day,you will have a better control over the markings and their depth without any tearing.But make no mistakes as you will not be able to rub it back in and start again.

I use a junior hack saw , take the blade out bend open the frame out and use it like a half round pointing iron

16885_4147660328714_395817811_n.jpg

You mean like this. If you want really thin, use a small thin stone cutting angle grinder blade , cut in half. Do the coarsing the next day,you will have a better control over the markings and their depth without any tearing.But make no mistakes as you will not be able to rub it back in and start again.

nice.

Nice.
Never done it myself, what's the way you mark it up? Chalk line and feather edge/long level to rest on?

cherrs guys, i bought some small saw files today but after seeing the pic im more inclined to use the disc method!

why do i need to cut in half though? i would have thought id use the roundness of the full disc!?

but yes, pretty much im matching what is in that pic.

it sounds much easier doing it once cured too, i hate the thought of taking an impliment to a freshly rubbed up wall :)

lol, so its just a handling issue . got ya!

thanks guys

just for record though, who does it when its still fresh? and whats the method?

ok so i rendered the walls today, fking soaking the bottoms! scratched it last friday! but it goes right to the floor so had a nice foot of damp this morning.

will attempt these lines tomorrow :)

Oh and make sure you don't make any mistakes make a gauge stick or two for your measurements

a drier would have been great! i had to sponge it up after an early rub up and run and hope it stays on lol

ill be careful for sure! as it will most likely be moist still tomorrow.

cherrs gibbo

Dry mix, the same ratio as the render.if you have a saggy bit ( most commonly bottom of wall) cast the drier into the render.It will take up the excess water and help firm it up .

Na, say you where rubbing up and you had a pudding bit near the bottom ( or where ever) .You have tried to float it up and made it worse say draggy. Use your straight edge or a trowel to take the fat or slump from the surface,throw your driers at it leave a while for the driers to take up some of the water in the render ,then float it in.

Na, say you where rubbing up and you had a pudding bit near the bottom ( or where ever) .You have tried to float it up and made it worse say draggy. Use your straight edge or a trowel to take the fat or slump from the surface,throw your driers at it leave a while for the driers to take up some of the water in the render ,then float it in.

One for the tip section i think mark.........................:RpS_thumbup:

ah reet! i get you now. i did use a dryer mix for the bottoms, not that it helped much mind lol it was soaked tbh.

i gotta get these last few render jobs tied up , before it gets even wetter out there

cut the lines in this morning, took longer than i though tbh but spent some time measureing out lines etc.

come up a match with what was there , cherrs for advise guys :) learnt something new! never to old ay!

Get some pics up Lizard so we have have a butchers at the finished product marra...............:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.