How to remove plaster coving without damaging lath and plaster ceiling

junkus

I'm looking for some DIY advice. We've got a 1920s semi with old lath & plaster ceilings and original coving throughout. we've had the kitchen/diner knocked through and it's left the coving in a bit of a sorry state. We want if possible to remove the coving without having to take down the whole lath & plaster ceiling. After a quick investigation it seems like the coving is moulded directly onto the lath bands at the ceiling and the render on the walls.

Is the job of just removing the coving possible or is it going to bring the ceiling down with it?

I'm attaching some photos. Any suggestions much appreciated.
cove 1.jpg

Attachments

• cove 2.jpg
    cove 2.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 606
  • cove 3.jpg
    cove 3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 304
May I ask if you're intending to remove all the coving, permanently, or just intending to remove the damaged areas, in order to replace those sections with fresh coving?

As someone who has just taken down a few rooms with lathe/plaster and thick plaster coving I can tell you the above suggestion is the winner. You essentially want to cut where the coving meets the ceiling. Once done you can start to pull out the coving. Given the age of it, don't expect it to perfectly come away with no ceiling plaster too but it should be minimised by the cut.