How to rectify this?

Members online

Lauren87

Hi, this is my extended vaulted ceiling and extension, which after having a coat of paint seems to show a lot of ripple/lines.
Builder has said it just needs sanding but they have been sanding for what seems like an eternity and it's not getting any better (plus the mess the makes is a nightmare).
Any ideas or tips to make this smooth would be appreciated?

Attachments

• IMG_20230203_222221.jpg
    IMG_20230203_222221.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 239
  • IMG_20230112_174304.jpg
    IMG_20230112_174304.jpg
    792.6 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20230112_174247.jpg
    IMG_20230112_174247.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_20230203_211523.jpg
    IMG_20230203_211523.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 236
Hi, this is my extended vaulted ceiling and extension, which after having a coat of paint seems to show a lot of ripple/lines.
Builder has said it just needs sanding but they have been sanding for what seems like an eternity and it's not getting any better (plus the mess the makes is a nightmare).
A decent decorator who can use joint cement/quick sand will be able to fix that.

So, originally the builder used the laborer as the 'painter', we weren't happy with the finish as the guy had painted over blobs of plaster and the edges were really rough!
Builder agreed and then the joiner was brought in to sand the rough areas down!! We still weren't happy as it has taken an eternity and still doesn't look any different so they've agreed to bring a 'decorator' in....next week!
Should I speak to the builder about this 'joint cement/ quick sand' process or wait for the decorator and discuss with him??
I'm worried it will end up being the plumber or electrician who turns up as the decorator the way things are going!

Light shining across or down anything will make it look completely different what does it look like in natural light

So, originally the builder used the laborer as the 'painter', we weren't happy with the finish as the guy had painted over blobs of plaster and the edges were really rough!
Builder agreed and then the joiner was brought in to sand the rough areas down!! We still weren't happy as it has taken an eternity and still doesn't look any different so they've agreed to bring a 'decorator' in....next week!
Should I speak to the builder about this 'joint cement/ quick sand' process or wait for the decorator and discuss with him??
I'm worried it will end up being the plumber or electrician who turns up as the decorator the way things are going!
They sound like a bunch of balloons ! It will just go round and round. If I were you I'd just wait until they were gone and look for a decorator who advertises Ames Taping, hopefully then you'll get a good result.

Light shining across or down anything will make it look completely different what does it look like in natural light
It's definitely not as noticeable when it's in natural light, some patches are worse than others and the sun doesn't do much to hide them! As soon as the spotties go on it's blaringly obvious, especially the ceiling!
Spoke to builder today who confirmed the decorator coming is definitely a decorator and not just a man with a paint brush. He assured me he will sort the plaster work out...
Will probably be back here by the end of next week...

They sound like a bunch of balloons ! It will just go round and round. If I were you I'd just wait until they were gone and look for a decorator who advertises Ames Taping, hopefully then you'll get a good result.
We have given them til Friday to finish, but their professional 'decorator' can't come out until next Monday...if he doesn't turn up on Monday tho I'm at the point of just telling them to leave it and we'll sort our own! We still have a retainer to pay them so will deduct the price it costs to repair their mistakes from it!
I'm allowed to do this right?

It's not unusual to ask a general labourer with a small building firm to paint.

You can't really sand plaster, especially not ripples.

Joint cement is the compound used to Joint plasterboard when you're dry lining. It's designed to plaster on and sand off very easily.

But it's gonna make a mess.

Joint cement is the compound used to Joint plasterboard when you're dry lining. It's designed to plaster on and sand off very easily.

So does this require the whole ceiling being covered and then sanded or does is just patch up the areas that need sorting?
I feel like just accepting it's a s**t show and living with it rather than creating another massive mess, especially when we're almost in our 8th month on a supposedly 12 week job!!

So does this require the whole ceiling being covered and then sanded or does is just patch up the areas that need sorting?
I feel like just accepting it's a s**t show and living with it rather than creating another massive mess, especially when we're almost in our 8th month on a supposedly 12 week job!!
It’s worth giving it a sort out effort before accepting it

We have given them til Friday to finish, but their professional 'decorator' can't come out until next Monday...if he doesn't turn up on Monday tho I'm at the point of just telling them to leave it and we'll sort our own! We still have a retainer to pay them so will deduct the price it costs to repair their mistakes from it!
I'm allowed to do this right?
That's your call .

It means covering any low or rough spots and then sanding them out.

If your builder is trying to sand waves out of multi then he's on a hiding to nothing and is likely to make things worse.

I'm inclined to say keep your retainer or whatever money is still in the job and hire a proper decorator.

If you give it three coats, letting it dry completely between each coat you can then sponge it to a good finish using a new and decent sponge. It is a bit of a process but saves all the sanding and dust at the end.
Try it out mate (y)

Only with the powdered 25kg bags though, wont work with the ready mixed, which is shite anyway.

If you give it three coats, letting it dry completely between each coat you can then sponge it to a good finish using a new and decent sponge. It is a bit of a process but saves all the sanding and dust at the end.
Try it out mate (y)
Sounds like you mays as well reskim as do that

I'll ask him what he intends to do when/if he turns up...is there anything I should be wary off?
How much do you reckon it would cost to have it all done the way you've said @Spitandpolish ? And how long would that process take? And can a decorator do this or is a plasterer better (not the original one tho haha)

I'll ask him what he intends to do when/if he turns up...is there anything I should be wary off?
How much do you reckon it would cost to have it all done the way you've said @Spitandpolish ? And how long would that process take? And can a decorator do this or is a plasterer better (not the original one tho haha)
Sorry but I'm going to have to "Take the Fifth" on this one. For that reason, count me out.
Good luck though .

Get a decorator.

They fix final finish. 'The decorator will get it' just as @algeeman

If you're in the Midlands and you can find him, maybe you can hire @ChrispyUK