How to prepare brick for plastering?

leo44675

I'm really stuck on a project and finding the right information. I have gone back to brick on a number of walls inside the house where previous render was blown and looking to add a backing layer before skimming walls.

My question is how to properly prepare the bricks before rendering and then skimming. Some say just wet the bricks, others say PVA or SBR and others say scud slurry. I don't mind using any method above but will the walls be able to breathe if I add the products above?

Thanks in advance

Please Help GIF by Travis

I'm really stuck on a project and finding the right information. I have gone back to brick on a number of walls inside the house where previous render was blown and looking to add a backing layer before skimming walls.

My question is how to properly prepare the bricks before rendering and then skimming. Some say just wet the bricks, others say PVA or SBR and others say scud slurry. I don't mind using any method above but will the walls be able to breathe if I add the products above?

Thanks in advance
Are the walls damp is that why you’re rendering first?

Are the walls damp is that why you’re rendering first?
Walls are not damp to my knowledge. Walls are just old with a render coat and what seems to be rolled on and left plaster coat.

They are external facing walls which is why I thought rendering would be better

Walls are not damp to my knowledge. Walls are just old with a render coat and what seems to be rolled on and left plaster coat.

They are external facing walls which is why I thought rendering would be better
If there not damp why can’t you dot and dab boards on

I could do but the bricks are pretty uneven and thought rendering would also add a bit of support to the walls.