How to prep\skim old plaster wall?

Members online

Cowfarm

I removed wallpaper from a small bedroom and found the old lathe \plaster walls to be terrible shape. The best thing is replayed or skim the walls. after surfing the web I'm confused on how to proceed. Do I need to cover first with a PVA (What is that?)and what would be good to use? What should I should I use as first coat, structo- lite or quickset, or a joint compound?
By the way live in U.S. and have no access to what all the UK videos suggest. No offense.

I removed wallpaper from a small bedroom and found the old lathe \plaster walls to be terrible shape. The best thing is replayed or skim the walls. after surfing the web I'm confused on how to proceed. Do I need to cover first with a PVA (What is that?)and what would be good to use? What should I should I use as first coat, structo- lite or quickset, or a joint compound?
By the way live in U.S. and have no access to what all the UK videos suggest. No offense.

Hello and welcome along!

In all honesty, by the time you’ve bought all the tools and stuff you need. Then had a go plastering, endured the stress and frustration of figuring it all out, you may as well have paid a plasterer to do a good job of it and probably saved money. Definitely time.

(Pva is glue. You dilute it. It bonds plaster to the wall and controls suction )

Over there - probably plaster weld. Equivalent to our grit products over here.

Search Kirk Giordano on youtube, he talks about veneers and all sorts, your version of skims and thin sets.