How to prep a wall to be re-skimmed?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamonstage

Preparing a wall properly for plastering is crucial to the success of plastering a wall or ceiling.

I recently skimmed a plasterboard ceiling but unfortunately the 2nd coat didn't go so well (as my arm was falling off) and I need to do it again as there are too many holes.

1) How should I prep the surface?
(1 or 2 coats of PVA/tacky or dry)

2) How many coats of multi finish?
(as there is already 2 dry coats of multi on it, could I get away with just one coat polished off)

No. Just looking to find out how to have another attempt at skimming a ceiling.

How is best to prepare the ceiling described above?

just fill sand it down why risk fluffing it up twice?

Because no one would ever learn how to plaster without making a mistake, learning from it, and carry on practising plastering.

Surely there is someone here who knows how best to prepare a plastered ceiling for re-skimming?

How big is this ceiling? Is your arm ok?

If the ceiling is to bad to snag then reskim, you will struggle even more though as you now have the suction of your 1st attempt at skimming hurrying you along!

2 coats of PVA to seal it up, make sure the first is thinned right down so that it soaks in rather than sitting on top.

Because no one would ever learn how to plaster without making a mistake, learning from it, and carry on practising plastering.

Surely there is someone here who knows how best to prepare a plastered ceiling for re-skimming?
yes there is :RpS_thumbup:
pva and skim again two coats work fast its gonna go off quick the pva is gonna dry fast as well so dont worry about it being tacky

just do it..............do it

now click the like button:RpS_angry:

yes there is :RpS_thumbup:
pva and skim again two coats work fast its gonna go off quick the pva is gonna dry fast as well so dont worry about it being tacky

just do it..............do it

now click the like button:RpS_angry:

just did it

Two coats of pva but you'll have to be quick as it'll suck like a Bangkok lady boy! Flatten and straight on with next coat, this will take up fast as well. If it's your own house and your just practising you could give it a couple coats of cheap emulsion then pva and skim next day.

How big is this ceiling? Is your arm ok?

My arm is fine thank you, full time plasterers must have one arm larger than the other, s**t that was hard work. It also wasn't helped by the plaster setting in the bucket 3/4 way through!

The ceiling is about 3.5m x 3.5m. I did try and tackle it all at the same time, as oppose to working in different sections.

Could I get away with only doing one more coat? and polishing just this one additional coat?

if your arm packed in putting on then what makes you think you will succeed second time around? after all you where only quarter of the way in.

anyway.
1 coat of unibond let it dry,while your waiting prep for the challenge ahead :)
2nd coat of unibond once its taken up a bit go for it.

maybe think about cutting the ceiling into 2 or maybe 4 to make sure. just scrim and skim up to the area you want to take on, just before you finish it pull your scrims off that should give you a decent edge.

Just pva 2-3 times then 2 coats of multi.
If you want to kill the suction give it a coat of artex sealer first then pva ontop when dry there won't be any suction then.
Or skim it with Gyproc ready mixed joint cement then light sand over :RpS_thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.