How to lime plaster?

Members online

Adsy83

Anyone got any good resources to find out about lime plastering particularly on heritage properties?

Some places recommend NHL2.5 but others say that I should use fat lime as the 2.5 is likely harder then the mortar previously used therefore a softer like should be used to aid permiability....

Then the techniques recommended vary greatly...
Thanks guys.

Looking forward to the "ask a plasterer" comments. Forum 'like' for the first :) :)

Just to give a little more info. I have a room in my 1850s home and the outside wall is painted. Unfortunately.

I don't have the cash to strip this currently. Its a massive wall. But the paint is in good condition and mortar looks intact.

The previous owners let the gutters overflow for a long long time and now the plaster is fully shot and soaked. It is gypsum.

I've repaired the drainage and it's occasionally still a little damp but a lot better and want to strip the plaster back to brick and lime the wall in order to atleast aid the evaporation in the room until I can get the paint professionally removed.

Anyone got any good resources to find out about lime plastering particularly on heritage properties?

Some places recommend NHL2.5 but others say that I should use fat lime as the 2.5 is likely harder then the mortar previously used therefore a softer like should be used to aid permiability....

Then the techniques recommended vary greatly...
Thanks guys.

Looking forward to the "ask a plasterer" comments. Forum 'like' for the first :) :)
That’s correct! NHL2 hardens up to 5 and above and if your background is not strong enough this will be disaster .