How straight and flat can you get it?

Dr pepper

Morning all!

Been doing some floating this week hardwall couple rooms and bit of sand cement in bathroom, was wondering how flat can you get it? Understand that ya never goner get it completely utterly flat, but after ruling checking ruling again walking away coming back checking etc all seems fine then get a skim over it next day check will rule out of curiosity and little hollows and bumps here an there? Nothing huge 2, 3 mm over 6ft, straight here and there. Even with dabbing get it straight skim an then... Can only think this must be multi knocking it out of shape as your not ruling only using a trowel ?

Any thoughts? Or am I just making excuses for being ruff?!:rayos::X3:

Morning all!

Been doing some floating this week hardwall couple rooms and bit of sand cement in bathroom, was wondering how flat can you get it? Understand that ya never goner get it completely utterly flat, but after ruling checking ruling again walking away coming back checking etc all seems fine then get a skim over it next day check will rule out of curiosity and little hollows and bumps here an there? Nothing huge 2, 3 mm over 6ft, straight here and there. Even with dabbing get it straight skim an then... Can only think this must be multi knocking it out of shape as your not ruling only using a trowel ?

with hardwall, browning type plasters ,on normal suction it is best to skim same day. then you won't apply the multi on to thick. you may be pushing the wall out of shape if you devil up to early.
when ever i float i double coat, first coat kills suction, lay on second coat and it rules in easy.
British standard which is low quality, gives you tolerances on plastering

I agree with @malc skim the walls the same day with float and set,I still do box screeds to this day it was the way I was taught by an old school spread , I know most people free rule now as the years have gone on,your just over thinking things mate

I agree with @malc skim the walls the same day with float and set,I still do box screeds to this day it was the way I was taught by an old school spread , I know most people free rule now as the years have gone on,your just over thinking things mate
Same mate put vertical screed either end of wall and work off them as can never get the hang of free ruling, stick to what I was taught (y)

Thanks mate me own worst enemy at times:X3:

Tbf put an edge up any wall in any building and there are always bits that aren’t completely bang on. No ones perfect, just some are closer than others.

Morning all!

When I trained someone up I gave them a pound coin to keep in their pocket. When checking floating they shouldn't be able to get the coin behind the rule. That's about 3mm. Skim should only be going on 2mm thick and getting rid of small irregularities, so if your skim is making the walls pissed then something is seriously amiss.

When I trained someone up I gave them a pound coin to keep in their pocket. When checking floating they shouldn't be able to get the coin behind the rule. That's about 3mm. Skim should only be going on 2mm thick and getting rid of small irregularities, so if your skim is making the walls pissed then something is seriously amiss.
I would of had you down for a fag paper as your gauge Andy .... ;)

Make you right when floated it's fine, and that's a decent tip to bear in mind, just once skim them it's not so much the sand and cement wall, just the hardwall walls which I did and set couple days later and was sucking like a 2 dollar whore! Can only think where coming up from bottom an down from top the over lap of skim is dried in bit sharpish an left little bump which in turn creates slight hollow?

Should of just float an set same day!:tonto:

You gave him a pound !!

Make you right when floated it's fine, and that's a decent tip to bear in mind, just once skim them it's not so much the sand and cement wall, just the hardwall walls which I did and set couple days later and was sucking like a 2 dollar whore! Can only think where coming up from bottom an down from top the over lap of skim is dried in bit sharpish an left little bump which in turn creates slight hollow?

To be honest I can just watch a spread putting on and know if they can cope with high suction.

Can’t get a rizzla paper behind

F2C0D2B0-AF13-4910-BD1F-AFFDA1C02392.jpeg

I was taught to skim up and down first coat. Left and right second coat to help keep as flat as possible. I also trowel up in opposite directions.

Now @theclemo swore blind to me that hardwall actually shrinks back maybe this is what you are experiencing, I never been that anal to check myself but admit clemo does/did a lot more ruling than me in his lifetime,
Maybe he has a point , sand and cement or other is totally different to gypsum
Be interesting to see what the older guys like @essexandy think too

Now @theclemo swore blind to me that hardwall actually shrinks back maybe this is what you are experiencing, I never been that anal to check myself but admit clemo does/did a lot more ruling than me in his lifetime,
Have heard that came happen as well

Anything that contains water will shrink when that water evaporates during the drying process . Especially sand and cement .The less water added the less shrinking that could lead to cracking . Sand and cement is more forgiving and workable when floating and suction when controlled does not affect the working time to much , Gypsum has a setting time and if you cannot work to that you can get problems .

Off course Hardwall shrinks back, so does sand and cement. S&C just takes longer, that's why you're supposed to leave it for at least five days summer, seven days winter before you skim it. If it's still shrinking when you skim it it will delaminate, no matter how deep a scratch you put in the floating coat.

Morning all!

How can you have 2-3mm hollows and bumps in 2mm of skim? You’re obviously crap