how or what does a wall breathe ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malc

TPF Special Forces
i keep hearing the statement you must let a wall breathe. but what , or how can it breathe?
in my thoughts it can not breathe air as it does not have any lungs.
the only thing that i think it could breathe is water as it lets water in then the water disappears through evaporation . what are your views?

i keep hearing the statement you must let a wall breathe. but what , or how can it breathe?
in my thoughts it can not breathe air as it does not have any lungs.
the only thing that i think it could breathe is water as it lets water in then the water disappears through evaporation . what are your views?

Hi Malc, i hear what you're saying about walls breathing and some types do, its more about the moisture being built up in houses after we come home from a days work, the heating being off the walls are cold and we start cooking and just general body heat given off, baths, showers all add moisture to the inside of the house and where can and does it go it hits the cold wall and what with all the synthetic wall coatings and double glazing nowdays it condensates causing mould eventually mycelium which will form in the masonry a fan like fungi branching we have all see this from time to time, clay plaster allows moisture & temperature buffering which will greatly reduce these problems, we are using this more and more in dance and yoga studios in basments where there is little or no ventilation.

look people its very simple... walls that are SOLID IE no fcking cavaty.. get damp INSIDE... are you following me???
If you Fcukin render them with SAND AND CEMENT then the SAND AND CEMENT RENDER traps the water behind it... whereas LIME MORTAR does not... go back to school you fcuking numpty and learn how to skim a fcukin wall before you go into technical sh)t FCUK OK....

ooo sounds like you're having a late night tipple RS but that is what i am saying its what goes on the wall i.e. sand and cement, gypsum and synthetic paints that cause damp issues, we thank you for your advice and we will come to you next time.

This forum is all about peoples opinions and thoughts where we help each other, we may not all be experts and express our thoughts in different ways, but we help each other wise this forum will be a free for all... now wind your neck in :RpS_thumbup:

ooo sounds like you're having a late night tipple RS but that is what i am saying its what goes on the wall i.e. sand and cement, gypsum and synthetic paints that cause damp issues, we thank you for your advice and we will come to you next time.

This forum is all about peoples opinions and thoughts where we help each other, we may not all be experts and express our thoughts in different ways, but we help each other wise this forum will be a free for all... now wind your neck in :RpS_thumbup:

hahah to many ciders that night... but pisses me off same questions all the time... why dont people read the threads before asking...

hahah to many ciders that night... but pisses me off same questions all the time... why dont people read the threads before asking...

You are showing yourself up mate. I know you're probably not but you are coming across as a bit of an as.shole, it doesn't do you or your concerns any favours.

Concerning the original question, I have had the same thoughts.

Gypsum breathes (vapour/moisture) as well as anything, it is very porous. Why not just paint this with a breathable paint on the interior?

I have recently been using lime hemp putty on the inside of a old building and doing it in 2 coats, medium then fine on top. We were advised to damp down the scratch coat of medium before applying the fine by the suppliers. This was bad advice, the top coat blebbed and bubbled, the scratch was almost completely non-porous, it had no suction whatsoever.

Splash some water on even the most dry parts of the lime scratch and it just ran off like you were throwing it on a window........so how can that be breathable??.....especially compared to browning and finish which would suck the water freely.

It's not a stupid question at all.

Peace, love and swinging. :RpS_thumbup:

Concerning the original question, I have had the same thoughts.

Gypsum breathes (vapour/moisture) as well as anything, it is very porous. Why not just paint this with a breathable paint on the interior?

I have recently been using lime hemp putty on the inside of a old building and doing it in 2 coats, medium then fine on top. We were advised to damp down the scratch coat of medium before applying the fine by the suppliers. This was bad advice, the top coat blebbed and bubbled, the scratch was almost completely non-porous, it had no suction whatsoever.

Splash some water on even the most dry parts of the lime scratch and it just ran off like you were throwing it on a window........so how can that be breathable??.....especially compared to browning and finish which would suck the water freely.

It's not a stupid question at all.

Peace, love and swinging. :RpS_thumbup:

Sure we import Platre products for our clay to sit on they have some really nice products one being clay, lime and gypsum mix decco terre but thats for another day, how long did you leave the lime inbetween coats...:rolleyes) sure peace man :RpS_thumbup:

how long did you leave the lime inbetween coats...:rolleyes) sure peace man :RpS_thumbup:

Some walls were only just knuckle hard and others have been completely white hard. Neither offered any suction / passage for moisture.

I'm not entirely sure what they put in the lime mix, but I know they add a pozzolan of some kind. In some areas with bad airflow there was a strong smell of ammonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.