HOW MUCH?????

Members online

In all seriousness Gary are BG taking people's issues with the gear seriously or are they just going to keep saying everything is just fine? Sorry I know that's probably an unfair question to ask you.
A lot of questions need answering about the bad batches of gear being put out. But none will be!

@BritishGypsum do you have any comment on the issues that many, many experienced plasterers are having with Board and Multifinish?
We do hear the comments that are made and in order to pinpoint the problem we do rely on plasterers coming back to us with a picture of the batch code and contact details so that we can follow up any issues. Without this information, especially on fast moving products such as MultiFinish, where we make thousands of bags per week across many different batches, it becomes difficult to identify potential issues.

As some of the members have said, it does take time to investigate the issues, but we can assure you we do look at every sample returned and where required put action plans in place to overcome any problems highlighted. Any quality concerns are high on the agenda within our business.

In all seriousness Gary are BG taking people's issues with the gear seriously or are they just going to keep saying everything is just fine? Sorry I know that's probably an unfair question to ask you.
Andy I can assure you they do take all complaints seriously and wherever possible get the materials back and test the product.

The tests are carried out on using the same method whereby they use the same amount of water and plaster to ensure a consistent test. Usability and setting times are checked which can lead people to the belief that the results are construed to fit the wants and whims of BG. This is not the case but is done to ensure all tests are carried out in the same manner. It is not possible to replicate every single scenario of each complaint, which I’m sure every single plasterer can understand.

When it comes to the making of plaster it needs to be bourne in mind that Gypsum is a natural product and very little is added to it, I believe that with multi for example approximately 2% is added by BG to the plaster, and a few million years ago the silt deposits were not I guess checked for their content. We do however do routine sample checks ourselves to ensure that the specification is met on the samples taken although it is a physical impossibility to check every single bag that leaves our plant.

Andy I can assure you they do take all complaints seriously and wherever possible get the materials back and test the product.

The tests are carried out on using the same method whereby they use the same amount of water and plaster to ensure a consistent test. Usability and setting times are checked which can lead people to the belief that the results are construed to fit the wants and whims of BG. This is not the case but is done to ensure all tests are carried out in the same manner. It is not possible to replicate every single scenario of each complaint, which I’m sure every single plasterer can understand.

When it comes to the making of plaster it needs to be bourne in mind that Gypsum is a natural product and very little is added to it, I believe that with multi for example approximately 2% is added by BG to the plaster, and a few million years ago the silt deposits were not I guess checked for their content. We do however do routine sample checks ourselves to ensure that the specification is met on the samples taken although it is a physical impossibility to check every single bag that leaves our plant.

great reply that...

282F913F-4D7B-4C0D-9C4F-D8848BFDA550.jpeg

@Danny @TheApprentice are correct. We do not put anything recycled into our plasters
@Danny @TheApprentice are correct. We do not put anything recycled into our plasters
A lot of questions need answering about the bad batches of gear being put out. But none will be!

I do appreciate all that you said there Gary, and understand the variability of using a natural possibly causing issues.
We have gone over to Board Finish, because the Multi had just become unbearable, and it has generally been better. The main issue we have with it is that you can put it on, lay it in and then put your first trowel over it and everything can seem ok. Then when you come back to trowel it again, with the same trowel, it's as if streaks of the material have expanded. This then gives you a horrible streaky mess to struggle to sort out.
Today I've been skimming over both low and high suction S&C, dry Bonding and fresh plasterboard, this streakiness only occurs on the plasterboard. Could it be that the problem is at least partially the board? That said the gear is definitely more slimey and claylike in general than it used to be. Could this be the way that the gypsum is ground down, maybe to much very fine material?

We do hear the comments that are made and in order to pinpoint the problem we do rely on plasterers coming back to us with a picture of the batch code and contact details so that we can follow up any issues. Without this information, especially on fast moving products such as MultiFinish, where we make thousands of bags per week across many different batches, it becomes difficult to identify potential issues.

As some of the members have said, it does take time to investigate the issues, but we can assure you we do look at every sample returned and where required put action plans in place to overcome any problems highlighted. Any quality concerns are high on the agenda within our business.
@BritishGypsum @The Apprentice this is our current pallet of Board Finish. The setting time hasn't been an issue, just the streaky, slimey, claylike nature of it.
Oh Gary I mentioned to my son about you saying that Multifinish is 98% gypsum. His reply was; ask Gary, if I gave him a pint of natural spring water with just 2% acid added would he drink it?
This pallet was delivered to us by Jewsons the same day that it arrived from BG and has been stored inside a moderately warm house.

Hats off to @The Apprentice / Gary sound bloke who I’ve met twice now. Gone out of his way to help when I had issues.

Imagine if you had issues with pva or scrim, them companies wouldn’t bother to come out and see you etc. So credit where credit is due.

I am really in two minds if it’s the gear or the storage of it. The fact you can have good and bad off the same pallet does indicate storage, as bags in the middle are more protected from the elements.

IF it is the storage by the suppliers then I think @BritishGypsum should enforce an agreement with all the different suppliers that it cannot be left outside.

Hats off to @The Apprentice

I am really in two minds if it’s the gear or the storage of it. The fact you can have good and bad off the same pallet does indicate storage, as bags in the middle are more protected from the elements.

IF it is the storage by the suppliers then I think @BritishGypsum should enforce an agreement with all the different suppliers that it cannot be left outside.

I have always thought it was storage

@lurpak @Danny where exactly do you think the gear was stored twenty or thirty years ago, in never never land? This is a relatively new problem. Christ years ago we'd pull solid lumps out of bags and get on and use the rest without issue.
I agree there is no other industry that would be able to get away with selling shite like this, they come on here saying we have not a clue what’s wrong, sorry but Lurpak you sent them back a bag ...did they come on here saying what was wrong with it how many bags were involved no nothing did they send you another bag, this is what is wrong with the industry today denial denial..,..they only care when people start to put stuff down on forums there like Alexia always listening in the background

I agree there is no other industry that would be able to get away with selling shite like this, they come on here saying we have not a clue what’s wrong, sorry but Lurpak you sent them back a bag ...did they come on here saying what was wrong with it how many bags were involved no nothing did they send you another bag, this is what is wrong with the industry today denial denial..,..they only care when people start to put stuff down on forums there like Alexia always listening in the background
Can you think of one other product where the consumer doesn't have a choice? Barring the obvious, water.

True.. can’t argue with that. I think I’m just in denial. I’ve had an absolute nightmare with the shite
Honestly some days I feel like just packing it all in and doing something else. The days I don't feel like that I'm generally doing something else rather than skimming with shite material.
Back outside rendering as of Monday, so I'll probably forget just how bad it is for a while.

@BritishGypsum. .. They also said after the last forum that they would have another one again .....guess what have not heard a F*****g peep. .....until now.... as soon as they hear something them come out of there hole

Honestly some days I feel like just packing it all in and doing something else. The days I don't feel like that I'm generally doing something else rather than skimming with shite material.
Back outside rendering as of Monday, so I'll probably forget just how bad it is for a while.

Felt the same way lately. Unfortunately I don’t do much else. All internal domestic. The last 2 days the multi has been so nice I’m starting to enjoy it again. Sad I know.

Doing a big living room today. Pva ceiling get gear in n bond walls. Mix 2 bags throw ceiling on. Mix half bag lay in all perfect. 1 flatten. 1 cross n done perfect finish 0 stress. Exactly how it should be.

Made me realise just how fookin bad it is when the gear plays up

If it gets recycled back into plasterboard only, why on earth are the robbing bastards charging at the dump? They don’t charge for anything g else they recycle!

If it goes to landfill it has to be dealt with the same way as asbestos. Not everyone has the lisence to be able to re-cycle it. A mate of mine has a skip business and has been charging more for plasterboard for at least 4 years that I can remember. Also keep in mind a tonne of plasterboard brand new will only cost somewhere around £200. I don't imagine anyone wanting to pay more than £20 a tonne for used scrap boards so, transporting it ends up costing more than its worth.

If it goes to landfill it has to be dealt with the same way as asbestos. Not everyone has the lisence to be able to re-cycle it. A mate of mine has a skip business and has been charging more for plasterboard for at least 4 years that I can remember. Also keep in mind a tonne of plasterboard brand new will only cost somewhere around £200. I don't imagine anyone wanting to pay more than £20 a tonne for used scrap boards so, transporting it ends up costing more than its worth.
Well they should have to have a license. Nothing should go in landfill that can be recycled

What a load of utter b*ll***s!! These dickheads are trying to make mugs out of us!!!!!! The gear is dog s**t at the minute!