How much work is this?

Wallwoes

Hi everyone

I've just had my entire house plastered and my plasterer convinced me to leave the ceiling and coving in a room that was back to brickwork.

He dot and dabbed the internal walls and sand and cemented the external wall. Finally skimmed the external wall but he hasn't come out enough to meet the coving. He said knock £50 off but I get the impression to get it right that he needs to hack the plaster off, put another coat of sand and cement on, reskim, probably redo all reveals. Sounds like a lot more than £50 I should keep until it's done to me! Can anyone advise?

Hi everyone

I've just had my entire house plastered and my plasterer convinced me to leave the ceiling and coving in a room that was back to brickwork.

He dot and dabbed the internal walls and sand and cemented the external wall. Finally skimmed the external wall but he hasn't come out enough to meet the coving. He said knock £50 off but I get the impression to get it right that he needs to hack the plaster off, put another coat of sand and cement on, reskim, probably redo all reveals. Sounds like a lot more than £50 I should keep until it's done to me! Can anyone advise?
no Mention of damp I notice ?

If the finish paints up nice he probably was right , wall maybe moved that much over time just a bit of cork maybe sort , as above though without pictures we know s**t
On older property sometimes impossible to fill it out to original

The wall definitely needs to come out. Is there a proper way of doing it fairly cheaply? I'm guessing bonding then another skim at the very least?

Attachments

• 20190309_111950.jpg
    20190309_111950.jpg
    1,005.4 KB · Views: 377
I assume you're joking. That red line is the actual bottom of the coving. Admittedly the coving needs some filling but the wall doesn't come out far enough!

Attachments

• 20190309_091405.jpg
    20190309_091405.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 262
I assume you're joking. That red line is the actual bottom of the coving. Admittedly the coving needs some filling but the wall doesn't come out far enough!

What did he say to convince you? Can't get me head around this. Doing the full room but leaving the coving is madness. Rough as f**k

Told me it would look OK. I'm retrospect, was a trifle idea, should have had the ceiling down but would have meant skimming the whole room again after realising it looked bad.

So what can he do to fix it? Bond then skim? Start again? Thanks

It's not coving its cornice and was most likely run In situ. It was most probably left in place because its expensive to replace and the plasterer didn't have the skill to do it or repair it and has taken the easy way out and bodged it.

Solid brick, double skin external wall.

What can he do to fix this? He's waiting for me to pay him for the work and has said knock £50 off and he'll come back and sort it but it's been tricky getting him to come to the house in the first place and I personally think this is more than £50 worth of work. It's going to involve some bonding and skimming the whole wall at the very least right? I don't really want it bodged though.

He built the wall up with sand and cement layers then plastered. I think it should have had another sand and cement layer at least.

Or he has left it in place and saved the customer a small fortune getting it all replaced. Who’s to say the wall isn’t flat and the cornice is running out. Some of the pics posted up here of jobs done are horrendous but this to me doesn’t seem bad at all, would hardly be noticeable and for the money saved on replacing the cornice I wouldn’t be worried about it.

It's not coving its cornice and was most likely run In situ. It was most probably left in place because its expensive to replace and the plasterer didn't have the skill to do it or repair it and has taken the easy way out and bodged it.
Exactly what I was going to say.
Probably hasn't come out far enough because the original work was render, float and set

The wall isn't flat. It's above a window and you can see by looking at the sill that the wall one side of the window has more on it than the other.

And it looks awful. I said from the start I was happy to take the ceiling down, the ceiling has been skimmed over anyway, so the additional cost wouldn't have been much different.

Even IF the coving isn't running straight, he should have brought the wall out to the bottom of the coving like he has everywhere else in the room. Does anyone know what he'll have to do to fix this. He's been messaging me twice a day about getting paid and I need to work out how much you keep back from paying him. He's been charging £120 a wall for a skim, so I'd say it's at least that and a bit more. For all I know he'll never come back and then if I get someone in to fix it, I'll need to cover their costs.

Last edited:
Stick some fancy architrave or something similar paint it will blend in with cove ! Job done

The wall definitely needs to come out. Is there a proper way of doing it fairly cheaply? I'm guessing bonding then another skim at the very least?
Is that wall running in as it approaches the camera?

Iss hard to see past the colour.

Yes it starts off OK in the corner but it dips in the obviously dodgy looking section. He told me (and maybe he genuinely believed) that the bottom of it had fallen off but he just needed a thicker or extra layer of sand and cement.

What's the process to bring the wall flush in that section? It needs to come out 10mm or more. Will the whole wall need skimming after it's filled? I'm guessing yes.

It looks confusing because the wall edge of the cornice has broken away when the plasters been removed. Should've floated the wall and repaired the wall edge of the cornice and then skimmed upto the cornice. That would have given a neat finish.

Anyway.. it's hard to see what's needed but building a wall out a bit isn't a very big job.. it's one coat of builder outer and one of skim.

Yes it starts off OK in the corner but it dips in the obviously dodgy looking section. He told me (and maybe he genuinely believed) that the bottom of it had fallen off but he just needed a thicker or extra layer of sand and cement.

What's the process to bring the wall flush in that section? It needs to come out 10mm or more. Will the whole wall need skimming after it's filled? I'm guessing yes.
It's really difficult to see what's going on from your photo, and assuming that the cornice is reasonably straight, then guy should have floated back out to it. If that takes one, two or even three coats, if that's what's needed to get it right, then that's what should have been done.
To put another coat over the top may be easy enough to do (difficult to say without seeing it) but it's definitely more than £50 worth of work. Probably nearer £300 depending on where you are.

Another vote to pay here
Agree with stu he’s done best he can on a f*kd up old house
So if you do the best that you can, but it's not good enough, you still get paid? To me that's a weird way of thinking.
Anyway as a few of us have said it's nigh on impossible to give an accurate assessment without being there. Lots of guessing and assumptions.

I paid but left off £120, which is what he charges to skim a wall. He hasn't been regular at turning up throughout the job and now he says he's moved onto another job, I need some assurance that of he never turns up again I can get it sorted.

To be honest, patching that section of wall to bring out is a bodge but I can't see him doing much else now I've basically paid.