how much a day

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

just been 2 price a job witch local builder..its a bacement i fort 4 days work..on me own..2 diffrent areas celings and walls.. few funny fireplace openings ect a steel thats been boxed in the usall.. i said 4 days on me own to bead scrim and scim and i gota get the kid down there ..n stairs in there yet just a ladder! the builder said he could do it in 2 days on his own?? takin the piss or just pushin ya i usally do 2 sets a day mixed in with some prep..but i no the other guy plasters diffrent to me .. he puts first coat on them second coats stright away with no flattenin were i flatten and wait about 10 mins then knock a fresh mix up.. i dont do more than a bag or bad and half a set usally but its allways funny got stuff in the way ect fink 2 sets a day is ok?

it all depends how much your doing in them 2 sets if ur only doing in 2 sets as much as the the other fella is doing in one then it stand to reason he will do it quicker and one a half bags ur only gettin what say 15sq maybe a little more ur maybe gonna have to think about upping your game a bit or reducing your day rate a bit but then again he might just be trying it on can u not put a price to the job?

now the weather is getting warmer can you not do three sets, yuo should be looking at 40m2 as a minimum really working for a builder, domestic it doesnt matter you can do 30m2 a day and pick up 200 no problem.

well all the jobs are domestic .. no room 2 move bit not ready..and o yea i mix up quick thick and take about 2 hours a set i can do more a set but iv just been tryin to get better quilty l8ly as iv done a few crappy jobs when i try and hit like 4 walls in one room a set and plus im doin £100 a day for this one guy so i can do a room a day if i need but id rather do it in 2 with a good clean up

£100 a day bet hes well happy with that even if you only do 4 walls a day thats £25 a wall ,would you charge that much to skim a room out ,think not ,buiders always say that it would only take so many days , give him a price at what your happy with not what he thinks ,end of the day hes a builder not a plasterer

i do £135 day rate every were else he gives me good jobs every now and then...if im on price i will do 3 sets

oasis said:
well all the jobs are domestic .. no room 2 move bit not ready..and o yea i mix up quick thick and take about 2 hours a set i can do more a set but iv just been tryin to get better quilty l8ly as iv done a few crappy jobs when i try and hit like 4 walls in one room a set and plus im doin £100 a day for this one guy so i can do a room a day if i need but id rather do it in 2 with a good clean up
£100 less 20% less fuel less wear n tear on tools an van less pub/emp liability less advertising cost etcetc = £50 in your hand ???

got to agree there mate stupid cheap ,work for alot of builders if we do day rate its 225 me and labourer and never had any complaints at that,got to charge at least 150 a day if your on ya own oasis i bet ya do a good days graft for that

im £6 sq metre or £200 day rate....funny they always pick me day rate near enough..no mix boy cause their all twots..if its a big job 2 man team and we mix ourselves. mates rates 120. i only internal plaster or render if its connected to a plastering job. dont like getting cold cause im G** like that

i do mate.. the builder is an old friend..and its all reali local work but just work i use when i have nofin on. but i can see that the 1 bag a set bein small but the areas i do ent allways that biga runs , like i said after a few quality complates i had I'm tryin me best 2 slow down and make a good job. i can smash out jobs but the finish is hit and miss..i fink most builder expect u to smash it out. iv only been on me own 3 years i think i will be upping the basic pay soon. but like i said i price jobs based on £135 a day after tax and plus i add a few extra days..£100 a day £400 a week keeps the kids fed and the mortgage payed..im 21 im sure i got alot 2 learn with builders...im gettin better every job i price 2 years ago i would put a 2 week job in at like £600 lol undervalue myself..o yea iv done 9 bag days befor i got it in me :)

im trying to work out my own price strategy .....i was thinking 200 inv 160 utb direct to clients
160 inv 130 utb to builders
but i can earn 250 on site on 2.65 a metre , all the rooms are loaded out waters on tap i can f**k**g chuck it on the floor and roll around in it if i wanted ........but you have to be competetive ......

got caught out on a similar job today oasis, reskim a crappy 70's conservatory, only 4.5 m's by 2.5 but it was all reveals, went for 2 sets but should of taken me time and done it in 3. turned out alright but i was sweatin like a blind lesbian in a fish market! you what you're comfortable doing in a day, stick to your guns.

Spunky wakey wakey its time for your breakfast but mummy i was dreaming that i was a plasterer and was laying up 95 metres of skimming everyday own.

haha

Rich

I usually charge for my regulars £125 p/d me £75 p/d lab but make 25 p/d on lab.

No one would get away charging £200 p/d down here in sunny devon you just wont get it.

If im pricing work then I work out how many days it'll take me and x by £200 p/d (me and lab)

Rich

do you do alot of new builds?....is that roughly what all spreads are charging in youre area?

fair enough rich...ive got a mate up in,leister chatging 120...just location i suppose....i was charging 200 with lab..now i mix for myself..stikll doing the same so feckit charge same...6 quid off of my builder mates a good wack tho shame he dont give me more, rough 3 jobs a year ..do alot kitchen and bathrrom companies and insurance so mark up really, average price my way is 150 to 200, i know im upper end

yeah somewhere spunky ......2007...top ten kitchens in home and garden...one was a feckoff size white marble kitchen with black units other was new age sheet with be diamond windew at back of kitchen in a big barn

got 1 job thru old colleage at my old job ( hes got more money than god)and other from one of the kitchen companys from great dunmow way near grand wizard

cant find it mate ....fair play though thats a nice one to pull out infront of the customer as a referrance!

I went to look at a job yesterday.

Average double bedroom,sparky had knocked the s**t out of it so i priced to hardwall up chasings, skim all walls, patch in new plasterboard in artex ceiling, skim ceiling and repair coving. I guessed 2 days and already had the materials so i said £400 for cash.

He called in 2 other firms who both priced the same job at between £200 and £ 240 through the books.

so £240 less tax £ £190 less materials £ £50 they would be working for £140 to do the above job.

Wankers !!!!

Rich

rich your price was a good, blokes like that just drive the money down for all of us, bet they were not paying tax etc

richardbrown said:
I went to look at a job yesterday.

Average double bedroom,sparky had knocked the S*** out of it so i priced to hardwall up chasings, skim all walls, patch in new plasterboard in artex ceiling, skim ceiling and repair coving. I guessed 2 days and already had the materials so i said £400 for cash.

He called in 2 other firms who both priced the same job at between £200 and £ 240 through the books.

so £240 less tax £ £190 less materials £ £50 they would be working for £140 to do the above job.

Wankers !!!!

Rich
you gotta watch some customers too..
some of em come across all 'duncan bannatyne' and think that if they say theyve had a dirt cheap quote youre gonna try and beat it..
bloke round my way got 'we will beat any quote' on his ad.
i been doing 10m artex ceilings for 80 quid, straight in and out like..
did a room tuesday, 9footx10foot, no reveals (flush window) artex ceiling (quick scrape), walls were painted board with a few dings in here and there...
prepped the lot, had the ceiling and 1 wall 1st set, other 3 second set, materials 30 quid, priced at 180, p'ssed it in a day but thats still site rates innit..
now that is dirt cheap, i know, but id like to see old matey killin himself for less...
when you gotta start dropping ceilings, removing material, loadsa prep work you can stick a young lad in and make money off him but i belive that in the building trade theres only so much you can make off yer own back... the way to make money, serious money is to sub out at lower rates, employ subbies and mek money off em without liftin a finger, its the only way to scale it up..
i do talk some shite though..
;)

wise man segs. its just getting the big jobs that you can keep a gang on steady. its who you know not what you know.

just as well to plod on on our own. less of a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.