how many m2 per day on domestic

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

berbie38

morning chaps
i am just starting out in the big bad world of plastering and was wondering (average approx) how many m2 of skim you could put on in 1 day, taking into account applying pva to walls etc, just so i can see the standard i need to get to. i no that all houses are different but just a rough guide ??? :-\

If the job is one day in & out i look at doing two hits which would be around 30 sqm depending i dont like working much after 4 o clock, a lot depends if you work alone , if the rooms are furnished ,how many sheets you have to put down and how much prep work has to be done even before you start mixing etc etc but with domestic work each job has to be looked at and priced individually and the sq meterage only used as a guide , you will soon learn how much or how little you can or want to do in a day.

church said:
If the job is one day in & out i look at doing two hits which would be around 30 sqm depending i dont like working much after 4 o clock, a lot depends if you work alone , if the rooms are furnished ,how many sheets you have to put down and how much prep work has to be done even before you start mixing etc etc but with domestic work each job has to be looked at and priced individually and the sq meterage only used as a guide , you will soon learn how much or how little you can or want to do in a day.
sorry to sound stupid is tat 30 sqm of wall complete or 15 sqm with 2 coats, i suspect its 30 sq m of wall?

Its an approx in total , walls and ceilings it really does depend on the job mate, each bag will do roughly 8 -10 sq m and im not saying you cant do 60 sqm if you want or can it just depends o the job

each job really is compleatly different and the ammount you get on comes with experiece learning how your set is going ive been doing jobs where its goin nice and you get 40+m2 per set and then you get walls that just suck in like mad an end up only getting around 20m2 on, u can regulate this to an extent by using bonding agent instead of pva

napper83 said:
each job really is compleatly different and the ammount you get on comes with experiece learning how your set is going ive been doing jobs where its goin nice and you get 40+m2 per set and then you get walls that just suck in like mad an end up only getting around 20m2 on, u can regulate this to an extent by using bonding agent instead of pva
another reason why i ask is a priced a job a few weeks ago (which i didnt get) i thought it would take 1 man on his own approx 12 days. iwould have got help had i got the job. the lady who s job it was said the men came in and did it in 2.5 days here are the dimensions,do you think this is possible.
hallway 2walls 3m *2.5 all thick artex
stairs 3.5 * 3m high at highest point all thick artex and awkward
upstairs hall 2 walls 5m * 2.5 all thick artex plus ceiling 1m *5m artex
small box room 2m walls 2.5 high overskim
stairs up to loft all boarded 2m *2.5m (boarded ready to skim)
small hall 1m *2.5 m high 2walls
they priced it at £600 inc materials my price was £1200 odd
is this possible 2 men to do in 2.5 days??

i price a job the other day 4 someone

berbie38 said:
napper83 said:
another reason why i ask is a priced a job a few weeks ago (which i didnt get) i thought it would take 1 man on his own approx 12 days. iwould have got help had i got the job. the lady who s job it was said the men came in and did it in 2.5 days here are the dimensions,do you think this is possible.
hallway 2walls 3m *2.5 all thick artex
stairs 3.5 * 3m high at highest point all thick artex and awkward
upstairs hall 2 walls 5m * 2.5 all thick artex plus ceiling 1m *5m artex
small box room 2m walls 2.5 high overskim
stairs up to loft all boarded 2m *2.5m (boarded ready to skim)
small hall 1m *2.5 m high 2walls
they priced it at £600 inc materials my price was £1200 odd
is this possible 2 men to do in 2.5 days??

i price a job the other day 4 someone

think your a bit high on your price especially as u say you are new to the trade you need to be getting work to gain experience
definately possible the time scale the price is a bit cheap tho (were they polish) if it was all really thick artex you would need to bond then skim id say 800-900 all in if u cud just skim it thier price isnt too far off

the artex was thick enough to need bonding. what you said earlier about using bonding agent ive had a couple of jobs lately where the finish didnt stick in places when using pva had 1 the other day (at home luckily enough ) where the whole wall of finish starte to seperate. i took it all off and thistle bonded it and had no prob,thinking of using bonding agent all the time.you know exactly where you have covered and dont have any problems waiting for it to go tacky.

berbie38 said:
the artex was thick enough to need bonding. what you said earlier about using bonding agent ive had a couple of jobs lately where the finish didnt stick in places when using pva had 1 the other day (at home luckily enough ) where the whole wall of finish starte to seperate. i took it all off and thistle bonded it and had no prob,thinking of using bonding agent all the time.you know exactly where you have covered and dont have any problems waiting for it to go tacky.

but you have the problem of waiting for it to dry

napper83 said:
berbie38 said:

but you have the problem of waiting for it to dry
yeah i suppose there is that. i dont know why the plaster didnt take to said wall as it was ok on the other walls in the room, the only thing that was different was that it had a sand and cement render behind the existing finish plaster,could this be the problem

did you pva the living daylights out of the wall? like 2 coats of 3:1 and let em both dry?
was the wall painted before?
kill all the suction and youve killed the key. dead. no sticky.
thats why wba has grit in it. it kills the suction but the key is in the grit. Thats also why u use board finish on wba, it doesnt need the same suction that multi does.

bigsegs said:
did you pva the living daylights out of the wall? like 2 coats of 3:1 and let em both dry?
was the wall painted before?
kill all the suction and youve killed the key. dead. no sticky.
thats why wba has grit in it. it kills the suction but the key is in the grit. Thats also why u use board finish on wba, it doesnt need the same suction that multi does.
yeah i did put 3 coats of pva 2 were left to dry and the third tacky, is that my problem?

very likely..
might as well have been gloss paint time you were finished with the pva..
like i said you need suction for a key..even board has suction..
if youve got none you have to create one either wba (fantastic over shiny stuff) or devil float it or scrape it till youve got something porous..
then you gotta decide how porous the porous is and guage your prep accordingly..
plastering is not an exact science..
its a 'craft'...
:p

bigsegs said:
very likely..
might as well have been gloss paint time you were finished with the pva..
like i said you need suction for a key..even board has suction..
if youve got none you have to create one either wba (fantastic over shiny stuff) or devil float it or scrape it till youve got something porous..
then you gotta decide how porous the porous is and guage your prep accordingly..
plastering is not an exact science..
its a 'craft'...
:p
so you need to kill the suction a little but not to much? i

enuff for the job...
thats why its called suction control, not suction annihilation ;D

Your price was way too high . dos`nt matter how thick the artex is , you should always use Pva then Bonding Coat . Get a grip mate , your new to the game , Keep your price`s right (£80) cash per day . Get the experiance first i.e Skimming 6 months on a daily basis then you can charge decent money . When talking about sq metre really you only get sq metre when on site . We get £3per sq metre . first day on new site today . got about 80 more flats to go at , done about 115 q metre`s today due to late start and getting set up , skrimmed up etc .

newbies should listen to this .......berbies gone in at a 100 per day and lost the job to some polish chaps .........if you want to work out what a jobs worth work out what you think youre worth .....and if youve just completed a plastering course go f**k yourself if you think you can charge 200 a day ........then work it into the job and times it by the amount of days you think it will take ........then you need to do the job ::)

thats exactly what bobski the builder did...
i think if your gonna want 200 per day labour only this year your prolly gonna find yerself at the end of a queue of jeremy kyle fans..
in times of recession the rich get richer living off the poor who are getting poorer...

if you do a good job youll get youre rates .....apart from site work youre a number

problem is spunky, if the jobs come off the advert, not a recomendation, how is the customer supposed to know who's the better plasterer? if moneys no object, the sensible money takes middle quote...
thats because its just best guess...
theres people out there, not building trade, who are working there arses off just to keep a full time job, and bollox to the money..
i love recomendations, its pretty much charge what you like (without takin the p) but cold jobs i have to fight for..

tbh mate i feel sorry for the general public because i know there is alot of crap spreads out there but they will never know

spunkybum said:
tbh mate i feel sorry for the general public because i know there is alot of crap spreads out there but they will never know

I agree, save tuppence but your front room looks like grandad sneezed over it.

If only they knew eh .....

Rich b

Yep Im doing a ceiling for a guy on saturday who has just completed a 6 day plastering course and thought he would be able to plaster his own house. I kid you not he told me he was sanding the front room for 2 WEEKS after. Now all he wanted to do was the front room and kitchen ceiling, the course cost him £600 plus 6 days learning plus a week to plaster plus 2 weeks to sand .... erm i would have done the lot in 2 days for £500 and there would have been no sanding or mess.

Rich b

micky jones said:
Your price was way too high . dos`nt matter how thick the artex is , you should always use Pva then Bonding Coat . Get a grip mate , your new to the game , Keep your price`s right (£80) cash per day . Get the experiance first i.e Skimming 6 months on a daily basis then you can charge decent money . When talking about sq metre really you only get sq metre when on site . We get £3per sq metre . first day on new site today . got about 80 more flats to go at , done about 115 q metre`s today due to
late start and getting set up , skrimmed up etc .
I did price the job at £80 a day, but as i said in my post i priced at taking 12 days for 1 man plus materials which i worked out at £150, making full price £1110 (£90 out on my post) . hadnt priced a job that size yet so was unsure of timescale . this is why i asked how many sq m you lads did in a day as icould price accordingly. thanks 4 the input,you live and learn eh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.