How long to wait before artexing?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve28

When you've skimmed a ceiling how long do you wait before putting the artex on? Do you wait for the plaster to completely dry out or not?

Actually whilst im on about timings, I wouldn't mind a few other things cleared up once and for all:

1. How long do you wait before skimming boards after sticking them using drywall adhesive?

2. How long before skimming after using hardwall or bonding?

3. And as the original post says, how long before artexing after skimming a ceiling?

:)

just to add some abiguity to it..sorry...

1. technically you should wait till the adhesive is completely dry before skimming (usually day after) but i d+d conservatories in the morning and skim in the afternoon, no problems as yet..

2. technically you should wait until the hardwall changes colour, but no longer then skim it, but for smallish areas i tend to wait till its gone firm and skim it then, no problems as yet...

3. technically wait until ceiling is dry, then seal the hell out of it, preferably with an artex sealer then artex it... personally ive waited till its all gone dark in the past then had the artex straight on, no problems....

sorry again... :-[

i know this will be wrong but y not put the pattern in the plaster wen u skimmed it ive seen a few plasterers do it so they didnt av to flatten down ????? :-?

if its a new ceiling (boards) don't waste time skimming it, just tape and joint it, seal the boards with pva or proper artex sealant, then put your pattern on.

its not unheard of boys..ive been asked a couple of times to re-artex a ceiling... old ones were bleeedin horrendous, odd one with a patch in... now you cant artex over the top and expect to get anything decent but if you skim it flat first and THEN apply the new pattern...
in fact thinking about it ive been asked loads of times, its just that when you tell em it needs to be skimmed flat first (100 - 150 quid) then re-artexed (100 quid) they usually stop at a flat ceiling and i trowel it up nice!!.. i suppose i could drop the price a bit considering the skim doesnt have to to be that good... but to be honest, when you get asked that in the first place theyre usually lookin for a cheap job anyway...

even then bigsegs surely just bond it seal it artex it there is never a need to skim b4 artexing

yeh, bonding would do.. still bumps the price up tho.. they tend to think its a one hit job... ive never artexed over bonding though...

you are right JAMESG but you still do not skim ceiling wht take 2 hours skimming when u can bond it out in 10 mins. THINK ABOUT IT :mad:

what if the pattern required was combed fans? id have thought the ceiling needs to be pretty flat and smooth or youll be picking up the bits ot bonding, bonded it'd need to be dry... 2 hours, and flatish, and smooth (steel trowel)... thats why i usually skim em...
maybe broken leather with a thickish mix of artex over firmish bonding would be ok, but not a detail pattern like combing effects...
just my opinion..
:p

what if the pattern required was combed fans? id have thought the ceiling needs to be pretty flat and smooth or youll be picking up the bits ot bonding, bonded it'd need to be dry... 2 hours, and flatish, and smooth (steel trowel)... thats why i usually skim em...
maybe broken leather with a thickish mix of artex over firmish bonding would be ok, but not a detail pattern like combing effects...
just my opinion..
:p

are you saying bigsegs you cant smooth off bonding? its quicker and only requires one coat that why i would use bonding, but in all honesty you just wouldnt artex a skimmed ceiling

no mate, im not saying you cant smooth it off, in fact you may have a point in that yes, i coat is all it needs, maybe 1/4 finsih in the mix would help...
what im sayin is that if you did, or more precisely the customer did want the ceiling re-artexing then the backing surface has to be flat and smooth, very smooth in the case of a detail pattern.
ive never tried artexing over bonding, but ive done plenty over skim, and if you catch the skim just right i.e. near enough dark all over i find theres no need to seal it like you would if it had dried completely, which is what this thread is all about..
ive found in the past that even with 2 coats of pva artex goes off a bit quick, specially if youve got to adjust the pattern slightly as you move down the ceiling... i lay maybe 3 square metres of artex on, pattern it, and repeat till finished...
i find artex sealer works better on a newly skimmed ceiling...
hence, catch the skim right, no seal required cos theres enough water still in the skim...
i just wouldnt have that confidence with bonding, id want to let it dry enough to trowel it smooth, not float it obviously, then let it dry completely and seal it for fear of picking up bits of that lightweight stuff they put in bonding... vermiculite??
im not sayin your wrong, just that artex is all about suction, even more than skimming, and combed patterns need a good flat surface... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.