How important is education

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiantsJam

Hi all,

I'm currently at college doing my diploma level 2 and I love it, but I've got high standards and expectations for my new career move, yet the college I'm at is way too small as in 56m2 including tool and material storage.

We have 3 blockwork bays and 4 small timberstud bays and a little room to board and skim a ceiling for 12 students, we regularly run out of boards and finish, and have no fibrous bench.

So I'm going back to re-do my level 2 at a far more superior college, but some say they'll learn it all on site. My question is how much do you truly learn on site? and how do you know if your learning it right? I really don't want to be a cowboy or chancer :RpS_crying:

You need both really, theory and practical, site is the real world, cowboys are part of this world too, you need to get in with a proper firm or someone known to be a decent tradesman, it will not take long to tell if someone is decent or not,

All i can say is my old man started plastering in 1965 city&guilds advance craft, and in the last 47yrs has run exactly 0mtrs of cornice, had 0 phone calls about fluted columns, but we have smashed 100,000s of meters of walls and ceilings, education is a start but the ability to get out of bed every morning, leave the i-phone alone for more than 10mins at a time, and the ability to think for yourself, these things may carry you further bud.

Why would you re-do your level 2?

If you pass, and if education makes you hard, then do the level 3....

Or if you need/like money like 99% of us, get a actual job doing what you clearly enjoy. (for now)

its not every thing if you have the passion its a great start but **** re doing level 2 of do level 3 and get on with a plasterer or start doing jobs on your own you should have the neccessary skills now if you are good your dood simple but you need to larn how things work properly now

Best place to learn is on the job. You learn the basics at college but if you really want to be good then get on with a decent plasterer. You'll know if hes a chancer or a cowboy because he'll under cut people and be rough as ****

Yeah sorry I didn't make it clear in my original post, I haven't learnt **** all no floor screeding, no fibrous,
Only rendering I've done is krend and thats it.

To be honest collage is ok,but more than a day a week and its useless .
On site is where it's at, and I don't mean a site skimming, I mean a firm or one man band what plasters,all aspects of plastering,what ever involves a hand board and trowel :) :)

College IMO is a waste of time. Far better to learn on site. Colleges nowadays are just money making organisations. I haven't met a young lad that come out of 2 years in college that was anywhere near the standard you would be from two years of learning on site. You've for to have a thick skin at times to learn on site though

Collage is only a small part of your working life .Sure it has a part to play in that you will learn the tools and how to use them, also the theory but the one true way to learn the trade is through time and experience ,as we all know you never stop learning in this job. The trick is to never go through life thinking you know it all and that your way is the only way .Listen to people who give you advice and make your own mind up weather to take it or not ,just because someone has been plastering for 30 or 40 years does not mean they are any good , they may have just been getting away with it. This forum is a great place for information and the young lads today are very lucky to have access to so much experience as many of the older spreads on here would of been taught listening to only a small knowledge pool and that what they were taught was the best or only way to do things.

Status
Not open for further replies.