how far can you water down thistlebond

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldschool

iya lads had a builder who was adament that you could water down 1 tub of thistlebond to cover a 3 bedroom terrace house. because he was moaning how much it was a tub. i was thinking what a tight arse. 1 tub only covered 3 average rooms do you think thats reasonably it does say do not water down? so told him to have a go of plastering a room with watered down thistlebond an see how he finds it?
point is how far can you water the stuff down?

why do you need to use thistlebondit in the first place? does every house you plaster have silk / gloss paint and no suction? whats wrong with pva? save the bondit for when you really need it... goes a helluva lot further then...

sorry i forgot to say the house had fire damage and the walls were black with the smoke and i did say just wipe the walls down then pva but he did'nt want to so i recommended thisthlebond he just has'nt got a clue he is only 27 but thinks he knows the game.

Are you skimming over smoke damge walls what are black stain over them? Tell him to get you plasprime .

You are not supposed to water it down at all why not try the cheaper brand stuff like the feb equivalent or bond-it i think its half the price.

I always add about 10% water to a new tub and run the whisk through it, and I've been known to add pva as well - as long as there's still plenty of grit to go around:RpS_thumbup:

might have had a good point with the bondit then mate, ive just done a house exactly the same, well christmas....
had a problem in one bedroom where it didnt seem to be affected... SEEM being the operative word, pva'd it, trowelled up loverly then 2 days later the entire wall is hanging by the corners, one big sheet of 2-3mm skim... poked my finger through it, bit like easter egg...
anyway, quick coat of wba and skimmed it again, end of problem...
the real bad room downstairs i just battened and boarded it, didnt trust the backing and he didnt wanna hack it off...
stairs got sanded with a real coarse paper, pva'd no worries..
i'd tend to go with the sanding option mate... smoke has sh'tloads of allsorts of nasty sh't in it... from tar to grease, neither of which is gonna help the bond.... cant even see bondit sticking to grease, depends how bad it was and what was burning i suppose.....

anyway, in answer to the diluting question...
well, some people like to use it for suction control, i found out the hard way it aint no good for suction control when i watered some down...
maybe chuck a bit of pva and some water in, but no too much, might as well chuck sand in some pva if your gonna wet it right down, i thought it was some different adhesive than pva, in which case, what you gonna water it down with?
i'd just point him in the direction of the tub literature....

nice post chris your right with what your saying it just seems hard to explain to a arsehole who doesnt want to do it right from the start . lets hope that grease likes pva an plaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.