How do you pva??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranny77

Over the years I've worked with different people and you find we all do the same thing just slightly differently.
I've always pva'd waited until it's tacky then skimmed. But I've met blokes you just pva everything in the morning let it go off while they set up then skim. Is this common? Ideally it would save a bit of time just wondered how many people did it.

Sometimes when you pva and dont let it dry ,the plaster slides around depending on the background but usually i'll pva everywhere and get that job out the way ,by the time i start mixing its normally dry to the touch

I pva most backgrounds with a 5:1 first thing in the morning or the night before,or whenever suits really,then I'll do a 3:1 just before I skim let it go tacky,if it dries I don't worry about it too much.the only time I do one coat of pva is on really low suction backgrounds like sound silk paint,then il just go straight on with a 3:1 :RpS_thumbup:

I pva most backgrounds with a 5:1 first thing in the morning or the night before,or whenever suits really,then I'll do a 3:1 just before I skim let it go tacky,if it dries I don't worry about it too much.the only time I do one coat of pva is on really low suction backgrounds like sound silk paint,then il just go straight on with a 3:1 :RpS_thumbup:
Every room,everyday you change to suit the conditions,,

Every room,everyday you change to suit the conditions,,
Yes that's it its one of those jobs that you just fit in where possible,I'm not a great fan of 50:50, I don't think the bond is as good on porous backgrounds and it doesn't control suction as well, as long as I get two coats 5:1 and 3:1 when I can fit it in,I'm happy.:RpS_thumbup:

I remember when I could ask a
Lab to pva ,wouldn't do that now or even over the last ten yrs,, why doesit seem above their pay grade to mix and apply a pva coat

I dont like to use a roller either always prefered banging it on with a brush i know it takes longer but it makes me feel happier! Set in my ways :RpS_lol:

I dont like to use a roller either always prefered banging it on with a brush i know it takes longer but it makes me feel happier! Set in my ways :RpS_lol:

Invest in a good quality roller head and you'll never look back, I used to use the cheap ones that would splatter everywhere then I bought a good sheepswool roller , doesn't drip and covers really well

Invest in a good quality roller head and you'll never look back, I used to use the cheap ones that would splatter everywhere then I bought a good sheepswool roller , doesn't drip and covers really well
You boys know your wool..x

I know what your sayiny ive ha um before i just like using a brush cant tell you why i just think theres something quite erotic slapping it on with the brush its got that sound of ya balls slapping against her assshole!!:RpS_scared::RpS_lol:

I know what your sayiny ive ha um before i just like using a brush cant tell you why i just think theres something quite erotic slapping it on with the brush its got that sound of ya balls slapping against her assshole!!:RpS_scared::RpS_lol:

I love that sound :RpS_thumbsup:

A good brush I use is a big 8 by 3" fence/shed brush from b&q if you like using a brush that'll speed it up a little.:RpS_thumbup:

I remember when I could ask a
Lab to pva ,wouldn't do that now or even over the last ten yrs,, why doesit seem above their pay grade to mix and apply a pva coat

as you said earlier, how you apply the pva is very important. every room , every suction needs a different application. we only 2 coat on high suction backgrounds. we would not let a labourer apply pva.

I hear you and agree about the high suction completely. I didn't want to give it a try and have a slow trail skim blowing off. Kitchens are always treat with 3-4 different suctions on the walls. So only go on it dry if it's had 2 coats?

I hear you and agree about the high suction completely. I didn't want to give it a try and have a slow trail skim blowing off. Kitchens are always treat with 3-4 different suctions on the walls. So only go on it dry if it's had 2 coats?

the only time we 2 coat pva in for reskim over lime mortar. we use the b and q no nonsense pva.
if you apply it to thick and it is not ready for when you want to to skim put a sponge over it to take some of the pva off.

the only time we 2 coat pva in for reskim over lime mortar. we use the b and q no nonsense pva.
if you apply it to thick and it is not ready for when you want to to skim put a sponge over it to take some of the pva off.

I was thinking more like if you've got a large room to do in 2 sets. Can you pva the whole room just once in the morning and it's ok not to pva again for the second set?

A couple of coats and I prefer to skim once it has dried totally but it depends on circumstances really

How does it stick if it's dried totally.

the wet plaster re-emulsifies it so it goes tacky on touch...try splashing a bit of water over a dry pva wall then touch it with your hand...

youl never worry about this meaningless skim when tacky shite bla bla

How does it stick if it's dried totally.

PVA is water based and comes alive again when plaster goes over :)

Scrape some plasterback and see for yourself :) I have never in all my years had any issues with doing this and I know more more plasterers who also do this :)

I first coat pva everything that needs to be done first thing, then second coat pva each wall before each set, keeps everything fresh.

I am plastering a wall at the weekend. The guys whos house it is has prepared the wall and has used SBR instead of PVA which isn't water soluble. Will this be alright if I pva before skimming

Sorry malc that dislike was accidental.

Status
Not open for further replies.