How do you plaster?

Members online

ToddyTom

Hi guys I’m fairly new to plastering and I’ve worked with a couple different plasterers over the 2 years I’ve been plastering. They both have completely different ways of doing it. One applies 1st coat with Steel trowel then goes over it with a super flex straight away and tries to get it perfect! Then does that same again on the 2nd coat. The other guy applies with steel trowel then only goes over it once just to get all the thick lines out then mix’s up in the dirty bucket about 15/20 minutes after applying. Applies as normal then starts to go over with super flex but sprays water really early.
Anyway long story short I don’t feel like I have fully learnt one way of doing it and how to get the perfect finish. I’m Curious To how you guys do it. What’s the easiest and best way to get that perfect finish? Thanks :)

Welcome along toddy!

You will find your own ways of doing things over time. Personally the best way it lay on. Smooth. New mix. Lay on. Smooth. Trowel. I use mt extralite and quick flick over with nela final pass.

However I don’t do this exactly every time. Depends on background, how warm it is, how hungover you are..... so many factors!

As above but i would learn to use one trowel from start to finish and minimum water at the end.
practice, practice and practice some more.
when you can get the finish bang on then you can start experimenting with new generation of trowels.
you can go straight on to beadtape to fix beads though.

Hi guys I’m fairly new to plastering and I’ve worked with a couple different plasterers over the 2 years I’ve been plastering. They both have completely different ways of doing it. One applies 1st coat with Steel trowel then goes over it with a super flex straight away and tries to get it perfect! Then does that same again on the 2nd coat. The other guy applies with steel trowel then only goes over it once just to get all the thick lines out then mix’s up in the dirty bucket about 15/20 minutes after applying. Applies as normal then starts to go over with super flex but sprays water really early.
Anyway long story short I don’t feel like I have fully learnt one way of doing it and how to get the perfect finish. I’m Curious To how you guys do it. What’s the easiest and best way to get that perfect finish? Thanks :)
All you're going to do reading more ways of doing it is confuse yourself even more lol. Same as Jess, I'd personally avoid either method they're doing mind

Couldn’t mix up in a dirty bucket though. I draw the line there!

Actually reading back over his post I wouldn’t do either of their methods myself
I always mix in the dirty water from washing out my last coat into the second coat, how much depends on how long I want it to take, the more clean water you add to the longer it hangs. Sort of like an adjustable half time sachet.
I also like rolling sets where possible

I always mix in the dirty water from washing out my last coat into the second coat, how much depends on how long I want it to take, the more clean water you add to the longer it hangs. Sort of like an adjustable half time sachet.
I also like rolling sets where possible
Fair enough

Tbf if you’ve worked with two different guys don’t think anyone plasters the same as the next
Find what works for you , it could take years
Funny thing is that years ago you could meet just about any spread for the first time and they'd work to basically the same system as everyone else. No f**k**g about complicating things. No one coating (@algeeman you rough c**t), no carrying around twenty different trowels. Just guys doing the job to the accepted method.

Funny thing is that years ago you could meet just about any spread for the first time and they'd work to basically the same system as everyone else. No f**k**g about complicating things. No one coating (@algeeman you rough c**t), no carrying around twenty different trowels. Just guys doing the job to the accepted method.
Yes but back then there was one of everything. Now there’s lots of different plasters, renders, trowels etc etc..... no wonder folk are so confused! Lol

Apart from me lol , could never let me dad touch my walls , most spreads I met in my younger days didn't bother flattening with a pause between coats and they used a water brush , apart from cut up speedskim for fiddly little bits , its 18" SS right through with only a tickle of a wet brush occasionally in corners . Despite it saying on the PVA instructions to skim tacky my dad wasn't fussed @lurpak will be pleased to hear.
Their is now an abundance of " cummer on's" getting paid good money for poor quality work,
I blame the customers

Learn to trowel up with one trowel start to finish and once you mastered that have a play with the G** trowels!
As above but i would learn to use one trowel from start to finish and minimum water at the end.
practice, practice and practice some more.
when you can get the finish bang on then you can start experimenting with new generation of trowels.
you can go straight on to beadtape to fix beads though.

First 2 lines: spot on.

Second line: why would you?

Third line: utter arse gravy.

Yes but back then there was one of everything. Now there’s lots of different plasters, renders, trowels etc etc..... no wonder folk are so confused! Lol
There were three different finish plasters in general everyday use, one more than now, and four different backing plasters.
So you were saying Jessica.......

just left review on your website mate....

2019 and the cuunt still cant skim lol
:birra:(y):numberone:

seems like u need to find aplasterer first then start from there are u wanting to be a plasterer or skimmer only I spent 6 years learning the trade

Welcome along toddy!

You will find your own ways of doing things over time. Personally the best way it lay on. Smooth. New mix. Lay on. Smooth. Trowel. I use mt extralite and quick flick over with nela final pass.

However I don’t do this exactly every time. Depends on background, how warm it is, how hungover you are..... so many factors!
He is asking about skimming Jess not how you apply your make up ........ :ROFLMAO:

There were three different finish plasters in general everyday use, one more than now, and four different backing plasters.
So you were saying Jessica.......
Ok you smart arsed old git! There’s still more systems and products now is all I’m saying , no need to be facetious! ... And there’s way more finishes... multi board pure limelite magnetic, that lime replacement one thingy etc. Isn’t there a thermal one that I can’t get my head around?

Ok you smart arsed old git! There’s still more systems and products now is all I’m saying , no need to be facetious! ... And there’s way more finishes... multi board pure limelite magnetic, that lime replacement one thingy etc. Isn’t there a thermal one that I can’t get my head around?
You forgot turkish

First make sure your laths are hammered on properly allowing for enough space for the plaster to adhere.

Good lime putty and sharp sand. Three coats.

Don't know how yous plaster, but I use Dennis the menace style slingshots to get the gear on the wall then trowel in smooth with a s*p*r*lex, job done

And all I'm telling you is that all these new tools are a load of unnecessary b*ll***s.