How do you calculate material and labour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MalB

What methods are people using to calculate EWI materials and labour costs taking into account things like scaffolding etc. Experience, Spreadsheets, others?

How accurate are these methods, at the end of the job is there much waste?

The same way you work out how long a piece of string is.
Or ring a supplier or rep with measurements the rest you should know.
Not a clue what you mean with experience and spreadsheets but if you don't know how long it takes to do a job should you be pricing it?
I know we all have to start somewhere but if you have no clue what so ever I don't think you should be pricing it!
It's not something that should be done wrong or it will cost you more in the long run.
Are you a contractor or a client looking to break down someone's price you've been given?

No I am not a contractor, I am in software development, just interested in finding out what methods people are using and if there is any market for software in the EWI industry

No I am not a contractor, I am in software development, just interested in finding out what methods people are using and if there is any market for software in the EWI industry

Maybe you should state that in your post then.
Most blokes on here are better with there heads then there hands when it comes to working out figures.
If you have measurements there's no need for software as a calculator can do that.
I may be wrong but I'm usually right.
I don't need software for that either.

Experience, I thought if someone has years of experience doing a particular house type they would know pretty much what material is needed so no need for much calculation
Spreadsheets, I know there are people out there putting measurements into their spreadsheets to give an overall figure of corner beads, render etc.

Its a pretty time consuming job once you have measurements you need to work out the figures, taking off windows, doors and other areas you don't render. Costs for removing and re-installing ancillaries, work out scaffolding requirements and cost etc.

Experience, I thought if someone has years of experience doing a particular house type they would know pretty much what material is needed so no need for much calculation
Spreadsheets, I know there are people out there putting measurements into their spreadsheets to give an overall figure of corner beads, render etc.

Then people wouldn't need your software would they?

Its a pretty time consuming job once you have measurements you need to work out the figures, taking off windows, doors and other areas you don't render. Costs for removing and re-installing ancillaries, work out scaffolding requirements and cost etc.

No it's easy once you have measurements.

That's where your clueless.
People with experience will already know the cost per meter including all bits and bobs so once you have the meterage you x it by your rate and job done.
Any big job tendered for will have all the scaffold etc there all ready on site more than likely and they provide the measurements when asking you to tender.

Any small domestic job like I do will be priced different to any other domestic job I also do as they vary a lot.
I'll have a basic meterage rate and then add on for Rubbish, cleaning, scaffold etc.
It's pretty basic to be honest.

Not sure about everyone else but I rarely take windows and doors out when taking a measure for internal/external render or plaster,leaving them in gives you a little extra material to play with and even with leaving them in I seldom have more than a handful of bags left over.id rather have too much material than not enough.

Not sure about everyone else but I rarely take windows and doors out when taking a measure for internal/external render or plaster,leaving them in gives you a little extra material to play with and even with leaving them in I seldom have more than a handful of bags left over.id rather have too much material than not enough.

And it's much easier to work through than round.
Extra work with more openings really isnt it.

Not a clue what you mean with experience and spreadsheets but if you don't know how long it takes to do a job should you be pricing it?
I know we all have to start somewhere but if you have no clue what so ever I don't think you should be pricing it!
It's not something that should be done wrong or it will cost you more in the long run.
Are you a contractor or a client looking to break down someone's price you've been given?
So how long is a piece of string. U immediately think if someone isn't that good at pricing a job try shouldn't be doing it. He was only asking. Maybe someone looking for some friendly advice.

If someone is giving you all the info ie area and window opening they have done it already, they would phone a supplier for a price and hey presto. Pretty sure what your on about exists but if you was to do it across the whole of the plastering materials that might be worth having. I won't use it coz I can just count the materials by looking on most jobs but maybe someone doing a self build might.

So how long is a piece of string. U immediately think if someone isn't that good at pricing a job try shouldn't be doing it. He was only asking. Maybe someone looking for some friendly advice.

Alright mate don't cry about it.
I'm entitled to my opinion.
I answered his questions.
What you think and what you get are 2 different things.
If he didn't like my answer he could of called me a prick or what ever I couldn't care less.

Anyway he was trying to figure out if there was a market for some sort of crap that isn't needed so I think I answered him well.

To be fair if you would of came on and asked the question regarding what your doing you would of got different answers. When it comes to prices for jobs it's a touchy subject and not a lot of people will answer. I always say to people when they ask me how much I charge a day? , "how much do you earn a week?" Coz that's what they are asking, they soon get the message, but I follow it up with I only work on price.

Most people know what material their system costs per m so once a measure of a job is given its a simple sum x times y = z. Scaff just an item price on top.

Its not a complicated industry as most rates are dictated to us by upper powers and we like it or lump it

I write various prices down on bits of folded up paper and put them in a hat then drink 10 pints and take one out. If I like the look of it I go with that if not another 2 pints and draw again? As for materials? Back to the drawing board? ?

For talk sake. A room 10m X 10m and 2.8m high. One door no windows. Sand/cement and skim walls. Bond and skim ceiling. How much material you think. Hehe

Yea I just estimate and add on a bit to cover myself.
If your no good at that then I would bet the quality of work isn't much better generally!
More is always better than less as you can use it on another job.
24 skim
15 bonding at around 6mm
6-7 ton sand
35 cement at 5:1
That's more than enough.
I'd buy enough to get me 3/4 of the way and then see what I need.
I'm sure you'll say that's wrong.

Yea I just estimate and add on a bit to cover myself.
If your no good at that then I would bet the quality of work isn't much better generally!
More is always better than less as you can use it on another job.
24 skim
15 bonding at around 6mm
6-7 ton sand
35 cement at 5:1
That's more than enough.
I'd buy enough to get me 3/4 of the way and then see what I need.
I'm sure you'll say that's wrong.
Haha. Perfect amount. Better safe than sorry

Haha. Perfect amount. Better safe than sorry

That's what I was getting at.
If you allow for more and don't use it that's either profit or materials for next job.
Under calculate and it eats into profit or wages.
I never price tight. Specially bigger jobs. If people want it done properly I charge properly and do it properly then it's worth the money there spending.
My mentality is never do it as quick as I can to squeeze more profit, allow enough and do a good job once.

Status
Not open for further replies.