How do I achieve this old world look?

MrKb

Hi there,

For a long time I have adored the look of the wall and ceiling finish of an old French chateau that was restored. I suppose that lime plaster and limewash was used to achieve the looks, but after hours of googling I have not been able to find out the exact approach to do the finish. I am sure that it is some sort of traditional method, so no faux painting, etc.

The look can be seen on the attached pictures. It is somewhat rustic and aged, and the walls are not perfectly straight/even thus giving a play of shadows and light.

Question 1:
With a flat drywall as my base, how do I achieve a soft, 'uneven' wall base finish like in the pictures?

Question 2:
How do I achieve the aged, rustic look of the walls? My guess is that it is either colored lime plaster or a finish coat of lime wash over a plaster base. If so, what are the exact steps of application etc?

Hoping somebody is able to guide me in the right direction.

Best wishes,

Attachments

• CHATEAU DE MOISSAC7.jpg
    CHATEAU DE MOISSAC7.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 400
  • CHATEAU DE MOISSAC29.jpg
    CHATEAU DE MOISSAC29.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 399
  • CHATEAU DE MOISSAC34.jpg
    CHATEAU DE MOISSAC34.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 337
  • CHATEAU DE MOISSAC38.jpg
    CHATEAU DE MOISSAC38.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 370
A few more photos.

Attachments

• 2d9df8ffda8092838c32300beff265f0--montignac-the-chateau.jpg
    2d9df8ffda8092838c32300beff265f0--montignac-the-chateau.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 314
  • 0d46b52d559314ffcd3b2c1ea11cfd6e.jpg
    0d46b52d559314ffcd3b2c1ea11cfd6e.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 324
  • 7f766d4fa96170868bd2b635584d816e.jpg
    7f766d4fa96170868bd2b635584d816e.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 277
The look can be seen on the attached pictures. It is somewhat rustic and aged, and the walls are not perfectly straight/even thus giving a play of shadows and light.

Question 1:
With a flat drywall as my base, how do I achieve a soft, 'uneven' wall base finish like in the pictures?

Question 2:
How do I achieve the aged, rustic look of the walls? My guess is that it is either colored lime plaster or a finish coat of lime wash over a plaster base. If so, what are the exact steps of application etc?

Best wishes,

Get @Andy g to do it.
marty-feldman.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there,

For a long time I have adored the look of the wall and ceiling finish of an old French chateau that was restored. I suppose that lime plaster and limewash was used to achieve the looks, but after hours of googling I have not been able to find out the exact approach to do the finish. I am sure that it is some sort of traditional method, so no faux painting, etc.

Question 1:

Question 2:

Best wishes,

Looks all right in a French chateau but it'll look ridiculous in your kitchen, mate.

Hi there,

Question 1:

Question 2:

Best wishes,
Ask @Mickymoo83 hes the best on this site and has got year of experience in the trade so there won’t be nothing he can’t handle.

Hi there,

Question 1:

Question 2:

Best wishes,
Speak to RobJack on this site. It can be achieved by both ways you describe but needs an experienced hand.

Looks like old age with years of smoking, damp and condensation stains, but if deliberately done maybe a historical building methods site on net somewhere ?

Due to the fact you are using the term drywall rather than plaster board I'm going to assume you are not from uk. From a di y perspective personally I would using a plastering trowel apply dry wall compound to the desired area approx 2mms thick leaving slight ridges and lines as you apply it but, not too much depth on lines and ridges. When fully dry sand area but, DO NOT, use a sanding block or electric sander, instead, wrap some sand paper around a sponge and beginning to smooth out the transitions at the lines and ridges this giving a smooth but uneven surface. You will have to experiment mixing paints until you reach the desired effect \ colour tone you like.I

Experiment on scrap pieces of dry wall first until you at happy with the process and effect you are achieving.

TBh a set designer\builder would be you best option for advice.
Best of luck with your project and come back and post pics of the finished areas of you go ahead with it.

Due to the fact you are using the term drywall rather than plaster board I'm going to assume you are not from uk. From a di y perspective personally I would using a plastering trowel apply dry wall compound to the desired area approx 2mms thick leaving slight ridges and lines as you apply it but, not too much depth on lines and ridges. When fully dry sand area but, DO NOT, use a sanding block or electric sander, instead, wrap some sand paper around a sponge and beginning to smooth out the transitions at the lines and ridges this giving a smooth but uneven surface. You will have to experiment mixing paints until you reach the desired effect \ colour tone you like.I

Experiment on scrap pieces of dry wall first until you at happy with the process and effect you are achieving.

TBh a set designer\builder would be you best option for advice.
Best of luck with your project and come back and post pics of the finished areas of you go ahead with it.

Be a lot of hard work doing that with multi..... might be an idea to try that roll on stuff that Larry was asking about recently.

A few more photos.
Hi there,

Question 1:

Question 2:

Best wishes,
plaster it with your chosen material then at the right time slowly with the touch of an angels wing starting at the top draw very wet paint roller down over the wall face slowly pushing water infront as u go wright down to floor level re wet roller and repeat prosses again till u work to other end it works for me on a castle I work on but its trail and error to achieve what u want paint is not my scene sorry have ago on a small area first the bits at top and bottom the roller misses do with a wet sponge good luck

I have achieved something similar with lime , if not the same but I have to see it to tell what it is. I have chosen coarser sand and finished it like Venetian- same short strokes and after firmed went on top with the trowel just to flatten slightly the high spots . Lime wash with the brush the same way and you will have very nice finish, which actually makes the wall alive and the more you are looking at it the more you like it . It gives the wall dept than normal plastering never will.